Author Topic: Brush uses the color from layer below it?  (Read 9094 times)

HwyStar

Brush uses the color from layer below it?
on: April 26, 2018, 06:04:03 AM
New user alert here!

Does Artstudio Pro (iPad version) support grabbing the color from the layer below the current layer being painted on?

As an example, I want to do block in color selection of an photographic image that resides on the lowest level. Can the next layer up grab the colors from the image below using the Apple Pencil?

Thank you! I am liking what I am seeing so far using Artstudio Pro. Good work ASP!

HwyStar

Re: Brush uses the color from layer below it?
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 06:31:57 AM
If for some reason ASP does not support this feature then I highly recommend it.

The way another art painting software does this is they allow the user to create a tracing layer. This layer is always at the lowest level of the canvas. The user can see the tracing layer and easily set it’s transparency. Any layer being painted on will use the colors of the tracing layer. You can easily turn on and off the color selection feature with a single keystroke.

This comes in so handy for blocking in a painting letting the software select the colors for you using the photograph. Once the block in of the painting is done I will grab colors from the block in layer and use those colors as my pallet colors for all of the detail work that follows. This has transformed my digital paintings and allowed me to take my paintings to a whole new level!