Author Topic: BUG - Artstudio TEMP Memmory/Storage isn't being purged even after reboot.  (Read 6028 times)

Kardas

Ipad 12.9 (3rd gen) v.14.7.1(18G82)
Artstudio Pro v. 3.2.7(691)

In Short: After opening and saving/closing artstudio files, the Ipad storage keeps increasing. Doesnt matter whether the app is closed, or the ipad rebooted, the storage isn't being freed up. Probably the app doesnt purge the "temporary save" files mentioned in this thread by LuckyClan https://www.luckyclan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2054.msg5434#msg5434

Quote:
"Save is implemented in Artstudio in a "safe" way - it first saves everything in a temp package, then move the whole packed to destination."

I managed to reproduce the same behaviour after resetting the ipad and resaving art studio files until the storage filled up and the app had to be deleted/ipad reseted/restored again.

In Detail: One day i got a warning that my 64 gb ipad was running out of storage, rebooting ~15 times and offloading all apps didnt work to free up that space (the moment other apps were offloaded or deleted, the freed up space would be filled up mysteriously again (because i had artstudio opened as i was backing up my files just in case), this prevented the ipad from allowing to delete individual files as it needed storage to do that, or to even backup the ipad on itunes since the ipad needs storage for that too). I deleted apps one by one until deleting Artstudio (NOT OFFLOADIND) with all its art files, or erasing all data with Ipad reset did the trick. Ive succesffully managed to backup and restore all my files since then and managed to replicate the same behaviour again by opening, modifying and closing/saving artstudio files again until the storage filled up and nothing but deleting art studio or reseting the ipad to factory settings worked.
Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 11:01:53 AM by Kardas

Kardas

I opened and saved Artstudio files again and recorded a video of the issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLM695_fu38 (turn on 1080p for clarity).

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Thanks for the video. I'm checking it now.
Please tell me - do you store documents in iCloud?
To reproduce this - shall i just open and resave some documents?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
I was trying ot repeat the issue, but everythign works fine.

I noticed on video that size taken by Artstudio Pro looks good (6GB), but system is freeing a lot of space after deleting Artstudio...
It means there is some space somewhere outside Artstudio folder. It is outside Artstudio, so app cannot free it because it iOS apps are sandboxed, so Artstudido has access only to files inside its folder...

By the way, did you try to tap "Offload App"? I wonder if it will restore the disk space.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
More ideas:

Did you clean 'Recently Deleted' folder in Files app?

As Arstudio Pro  clears temp folders on launch - ply try to just close app (remove it from background), launch again, then check the disk space

When you were resaving documents - did you close each one after save? Or kept all documents open? Or opened them psd files? Maybe just send me a video showing how you did the "resaving"
Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:42:12 AM by Lucky Clan

Kardas

Hey, thanks for the response and checking the issue out.

1. The documents are stored on the device, the iCloud/iCloud backup is disabled.
2. Yes to reproduce i just open the document, either press save or turn on and off a layer just so the document registers that the file has been modified and just close it and it autosaves it.
3. Offloading the App doesnt work either. The space still stays occupied. Rebooting the ipad doesn't work either, whether the app is offloaded or not. Only deleting the App frees up that space.
4. "Recently deleted" folder is empty when the space fills up.
5.  When i was resaving the documents i closed them after, then opened another one. etc. They are .artstudio files.

I'll try to make a video, but it may take a day or two due to work. Thank you for looking into it.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Thanks. I tried everything today to reproduce it, but everything was ok.

So each save is taking up some disk space on your ipad?
Does it happen when you constantly open - change - close (autosave) the same document?
Do you use canvas recording?

Waiting for a video…
Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:54:49 PM by Lucky Clan

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
About saving process. It is managed by system (UIDocument mechanism). It gives the temp path (folder) where app saves the whole document. Then it moves the temp document file to destination location (Documents). But the whole process is performed by system, Artstudio is only saving all data (layers, document informations, preview, thumbnail) in the temp location given by system.

The temp folder is in Artstudio Pro container (sandbox) which is full deleted after each app launch.
Even if something goes wrong, temp folder should be cleaned after app launch.
So everything looks safe, i have no idea why the free spacing it is going low on your iPad.

Can you try to make a big document in Pages, Number, Keynote or Pixelmator and check the free space there? They use "UIDocument" mechanism too.

Kardas

Ive recorded the video, i'll just have to edit out private information later today after work.

To the previous post:
1. Each save is taking up some extra space. First the save data is in the "other" section of the storage , but then it gets relocated as "apps" space, the "other" section gets cleared, but the overall space used remains unchanged.   (will be shown in the video)
2. The same document opened and saved again doesn't seem to increase space used, its like it uses the file which was created on the first time opened/saved and uses or overwrites that one whenever i open and save that same document again.
3. Almost all of the .artstudio documents out of around 50 of them have canvas recording disabled. Maybe 1 or two have it on.

I'll try the other apps you mentioned if they show the same behaviour and report later, perhaps it could be an issue with the last iPadOS update?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Yes, you can try it in iOS 14.8, released today.
I received similar report from another user who is also not using iCloud Drive and stores all files locally.

Waiting for the video...

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
1. and 2. - i don't fully understand that.  You wrote each save is taking up some space, but also that  saving the same document does not.
How do you creating these documents (that are taking the space)? Do you copy them from somewhere?

I hope video will make it clear.

Ive recorded the video, i'll just have to edit out private information later today after work.

To the previous post:
1. Each save is taking up some extra space. First the save data is in the "other" section of the storage , but then it gets relocated as "apps" space, the "other" section gets cleared, but the overall space used remains unchanged.   (will be shown in the video)
2. The same document opened and saved again doesn't seem to increase space used, its like it uses the file which was created on the first time opened/saved and uses or overwrites that one whenever i open and save that same document again.
3. Almost all of the .artstudio documents out of around 50 of them have canvas recording disabled. Maybe 1 or two have it on.

I'll try the other apps you mentioned if they show the same behaviour and report later, perhaps it could be an issue with the last iPadOS update?

Kardas

Sorry for causing a misunderstanding, in (1) I meant- 'each (different document) save is taking some extra space'. So the same document saved again after the first time doesn't increase the space used. The documents are all created in artstudio.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Ok, but after you reinstalled the app, how do you resave the documents? Do you store them somewhere? If yes - how do you open them in Artstudio?

Kardas

Ive tried 2 ways:

1. Creating an ipad backup with iTunes on my windows machine, then restoring from backup. This restored the Artstudio documents too. That way the space used by the bug was erased, but the same process of opening and saving still created the same bug again.

2. On iTunes saving .artstudio files via  "file sharing" > "Artstudio" > Selecting Artstudio documents and saving them on my pc. Then unninstalling Artstudio app from the iPad (which erases all the documents and the bugged space). Then i reinstalled Artstudio app, connected to iTunes, and added the saved Artstudio files back via "file sharing" > "Artstudio">  add. (for some reason not all of .artstudio documents were present in the file sharing menu on iTunes, but i didn't have time to investigate further). But the bug still happened this way too.

Just in case there was a misunderstanding previously by 'save' that creates a bug i mean opening artstudio document in Artstudio app and pressing file>save, or file>close (after perfoming an action, like toggling a layer visability which prompts an autosave upon closing). Ways of backing up my .artstudio documents i listed here have nothing to do with the storage bug, its just the way to get my files back onto the iPad. I hope it makes sense.
Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:37:40 AM by Kardas

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
I think i found the bug! I really thank for your help. I will submit new version asap.