Author Topic: Keeps crashing and I’m losing my progress!!  (Read 6163 times)

christox

Keeps crashing and I’m losing my progress!!
on: September 10, 2021, 04:18:24 PM
Very annoying! I’m using an iPad Pro 10.5 (2017) most recent iOS 14
Happens after 15 minutes of drawing. 7000x5000 pixels. One layer. 200mb file

Kardas

Re: Keeps crashing and I’m losing my progress!!
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 09:19:00 AM
Very annoying! I’m using an iPad Pro 10.5 (2017) most recent iOS 14
Happens after 15 minutes of drawing. 7000x5000 pixels. One layer. 200mb file

With such a large canvas you're probably running out of RAM, so its more likely a hardware limitation, but its not up to me to decide. If thats the case, save often manually or lower the resolution. Im just glad ArtStudio doesnt impose limitations like other ios apps, otherwise i couldn't do work at all. Please never change that LuckyClan.

lastaccess

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 02:59:17 PM
Just curious, what is your undo steps number in Settings?

I found out that comfort number for me is 10. This number keeps memory usage in decent way. Higher numbers eat all free memory.

Ben

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 03:19:54 PM
Just curious, what is your undo steps number in Settings?

I found out that comfort number for me is 10. This number keeps memory usage in decent way. Higher numbers eat all free memory.

That’s a very low setting, I have it max (100) all the time but never experienced problems (iPad Air 3)

christox

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 07:53:08 PM
25 steps is my undo setting. Been using this app for a full year without much problems.
If Procreate can handle it then Artstudio should too, especially with only one layer, since Procreate is limiting the layer count to 11 with a resolution of 7000x5000

Sad if they’re only gong to optimize for newer devices like the m1 iPad Pro
Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 08:01:52 PM by christox

Andreas Raninger

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 02:39:49 PM
I have the Pro 2017 12.9 version and I never experienced a crash when working in that resolution. It's getting shoppy but I had 10 layers in that project. Artstudio is using a page file to unload stuff that's not used of what I know. It can be the storage running low, but I guess you've noticed that long before you hit the limit. Are you just painting or doing some more advanced modification like adjustments or filters? Something might not be swapped out because it can't and ASP reach the memory limit that makes iPadOS decide to kill the app. Try balance your work over a small amount of layers and see if ASP crash. 

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 04:18:03 AM
Did you try to close all apps and reboot?
Do you use any external brush packs?
Can you confirm you use ipadOS 14.8 and Artstudio Pro 3.2.8+ ?

When exactly does it crash: when saving/autosaving, or just when you are painting?

25 steps is my undo setting. Been using this app for a full year without much problems.
If Procreate can handle it then Artstudio should too, especially with only one layer, since Procreate is limiting the layer count to 11 with a resolution of 7000x5000

Sad if they’re only gong to optimize for newer devices like the m1 iPad Pro

christox

Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 12:01:00 AM
It crashed when painting with external brushes imported from an abr file. I indeed use the newest app and iPadOS. I had autosaving off. I have about 25 GB left on the iPad.

It happened twice but I haven’t used the app since it happened. I can report back if it happens again after rebooting.

Andreas Raninger

Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 03:50:19 AM
Happend here too. I changed active layer and just died on me after a long freeze, probably shuffling data. About ten layers in 5000x7000px. iPad pro 2017 12.9. This is overkill with only 4GB of RAM though. 

Qualzar

Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 02:06:35 PM
Happened to me as well on a 2021 M1 i[ad with 16GB ram

Lost a really good pose I started :( file went black, I thought I accidentally color filled. The app crashed and the file was gone

Had another issue where changing layer opacity rapidly shuffles the layers in their window, but they don’t actually shuffle around and they seem to fix themselves

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 03:05:18 PM
Which app version and iPadOS version were you using when it crashed?

Happened to me as well on a 2021 M1 i[ad with 16GB ram

Lost a really good pose I started :( file went black, I thought I accidentally color filled. The app crashed and the file was gone

Had another issue where changing layer opacity rapidly shuffles the layers in their window, but they don’t actually shuffle around and they seem to fix themselves

Qualzar

Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 03:23:12 PM
Which app version and iPadOS version were you using when it crashed?

ASP 3.2.10

iPadOS 15.0 19A344

Andreas Raninger

Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 05:55:26 PM
Same layer shuffle here but I changed brush opacity. iPadOs 15 ASP 3.2.10

Dorothyfan1

Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 11:53:47 PM
I have a feeling this is being caused by the new Apple iOS 15 upgrade. The official release for this is Monday. Any chance Lucky Clan can push out an update before this gets released?

Andreas Raninger

Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 06:30:20 AM
The bug can also be the 15.0 version of iPadOs. Usually people wait for the 15.1 or 15.2 version because the .0 versions still seems to be i beta stage after release. The same with MacOs and Windows.