Author Topic: Some brush interaction suggestions  (Read 2812 times)

-fjg-

Some brush interaction suggestions
on: March 10, 2023, 10:27:26 PM
Switching brush tools:
Similar to how the layers flash to indicate which layer is active, quickly displaying the selected brush stamp on screen when switching tools (and therefore size) will be useful. This will show the user if brush needs to be resized or not without having to make a stroke and possible undo if it's not the right size. The amount of time the stamp will be displayed would be adjustable like other settings such as eye dropper long press delay.

Resizing brush tools:
I don't find the brush display (dark square) all that useful and prefer the cursor to be near my fingers when resizing like the elastify tool (when cursor outline is on). This way brush size can be gauged over a specific area. Currently the brush stamp stays at the last stylus position.

Art studio pro has options for showing cursor/brush style given various conditions, but if you don't like the cursor visible when applying paint and set it to none, you lose the ability to see the outline near your fingers when resizing the brush or elastify tool. An option for showing the brush cursor when resizing (and hovering if available) but not when painting would be great.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Some brush interaction suggestions
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 07:22:14 AM
Switching brush - is it available in any other painting app?

Resizing brush cursor - we will consider adding option where it will be shown

Cursor when resizing - rather not, there is already "brush preview box" which shows the same.

-fjg-

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 06:55:10 PM
Thanks for taking the time to look into these!

Switching brush - is it available in any other painting app?
Not that I've seen. Maybe the Brush Preview Box (or a modified version), would be clearer than the cursor since it would be onscreen for a short time and has more opacity.

Resizing brush cursor - we will consider adding option where it will be shown
Thanks!
Note: I've found that if I set Finger Function to adjust brush size in preferences, the cursor follows the finger (like I suggested), but if 'Three Finger Swipe' is set to adjust brush size, the cursor stays in the last position the stylus was at. While I prefer the cursor to follow the movement of my fingers, I can see that some may prefer it to be stationary. So, I'm just asking if cursor follow/not follow (and possibly Brush Preview Box visible/not visible) during resize could be made an independent option rather than be tied to the one finger or three finger gestures.

Cursor when resizing - rather not, there is already "brush preview box" which shows the same.
This idea is somewhat related to the previous suggestion, but I understand that setting cursor = none is sort of its own mode.

-fjg-

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 03:09:21 PM
Note: I've found that if I set Finger Function to adjust brush size in preferences, the cursor follows the finger (like I suggested), but if 'Three Finger Swipe' is set to adjust brush size, the cursor stays in the last position the stylus was at. While I prefer the cursor to follow the movement of my fingers, I can see that some may prefer it to be stationary. So, I'm just asking if cursor follow/not follow (and possibly Brush Preview Box visible/not visible) during resize could be made an independent option rather than be tied to the one finger or three finger gestures.

The static cursor outline I was referring to is no longer happening. Not sure what that quirk was, but now in both finger and three finger modes the cursor follows the resize movement.

Edit: Can it be a floating panel like the colors or brushes panel? It would still disappear after a moment like it currently does but could be placed like other panels.

Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 02:54:19 PM by -fjg-

-fjg-

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 12:39:10 PM
 :o Just saw that the two previous topics are in preferences already.

Under Tools: 'Show cursor at the last stroke location when resizing' & 'Show brush preview always in the corner'.

I may have derailed this thread by fumbling about the preferences and tools... but the brush switch preview thing is still interesting, to me anyway (first post). I don't have an iPad with hover, but it would probably be nice to get a quick preview when switching tools/brushes, even with that feature. Anyone else think it would be useful (or not)?