Author Topic: Unable to use licensed software when not on internet?  (Read 4322 times)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Unable to use licensed software when not on internet?
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 06:38:38 AM
Thanks for your feedback, it is very good news the issue is finally fixed!

About deleting files:
It is not possible that Artstudio just deleted a file without any confirmation.
Actually there are 2 ways to delete Artstudio Pro docuemnt files:
1. App Document Browser
2. Files app

Both these methods are fully managed by system and app like Artstudio cannot change any behaviour there.

EarlMcLean

Reply #16 on: February 18, 2023, 12:20:28 PM
Well since you seem to be in more of a testing-capable environment, what I was suggesting was that you try and recreate what I went through and witnessed happen firsthand so it could be rectified before it has the chance to affect anyone else.

Doing this wouldn't be too hard. I imagine you keep copies of previous versions of the software. Using version 5.1.1 or older, paint a test canvas quickly in the free, unlicensed software. Since you can't save, leave the canvas open, and enable wifi to license the software. With the ability to save activated, check that it's saved locally to the iPad.
Next, open up a new canvas, paint a test pattern on it, and save it also but leave it open. Verify it saved locally. You should now have two saved works.

Being on v5.1.1 or older and with the software licensed you're probably still connected to the wifi. Following the steps from the videos I posted previously you're going to activate the licensing glitch in the software (shut down the software completely, disable the wifi, shut down the system, wait 20 - 30 seconds, turn the system on, load the software without wifi enabled).
If done properly, the software will now display the message about needing to license. The image you originally painted before licensing should be on the live canvas now, not the second image you had open. That second painting will be gone along with its local save.
Next close the software entirely, leaving it in the unlicensed state, then start it up again. The painting you initially did as a test should still be on the canvas, and there should also still be a local save for it. Now create a new painting. That initial painting you had live will not only disappear, but it will also delete the locally saved file on the drive. Neither of the test canvas paintings will go to the recently deleted items, they vanish entirely.

With the software being on 5.1.2 this isn't so much an issue, but without you testing the above scenario, if the software becomes unlicensed for your users in the future for some unforeseen reason, they could easily lose saved data. It happened to me, and as I said, I don't want to see someone else lose something valuable to them over what could be a quick fix of a simply unknown bug in your program.

I appreciate all of your help in fixing the licensing issue so quickly. Thanks again!
Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 06:23:11 PM by EarlMcLean

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #17 on: February 20, 2023, 05:08:49 AM
Bug is fixed so i will rather don't want to spend more time on this. More than 50% use now ver 5.1.2 and it grows quickly

EarlMcLean

Reply #18 on: February 20, 2023, 09:43:11 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's fixed. I left the iPad off for 24 hours, turned it on with no wifi and voila:

Image 1 of 2

Image 2 of 2

Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 09:48:54 PM by EarlMcLean

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023, 04:39:11 AM
May I ask if it works fine in other apps?

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's fixed. I left the iPad off for 24 hours, turned it on with no wifi and voila:

Image 1 of 2

Image 2 of 2

EarlMcLean

Reply #20 on: February 21, 2023, 06:09:59 AM
From previous posts I've already mentioned that I just recently purchased the iPad from Apple new. It's fully updated and yours is the only app I've purchased. I think it's clear at this point that as some kind of security measure your software is requiring an active internet connection in order to verify valididity of an existing license. I think what you're alluding to is that this is somehow common practice amongst IOS apps and that you didn't so much "fix a bug" as merely extended the window between authentication checks.

Like I mentioned before, I have no use for software I can't use offline indefinitely. To me, this is a digital canvas. This iPad has no need to be online to serve that function. It could go weeks or even potentially months without an active internet connection because I have other devices that fulfill that requirement. At this point it's fairly clear the licensing issue is a "feature", not a bug. To resolve this, I would appreciate a refund as I purchased your software in good faith and nowhere is it mentioned an active internet connection will be required for continued authentication of ownership. Had it been so, I certainly wouldn't have bought it. I would like to be done with this entirely. Please issue my refund as a credit for the Apple app store. You should have my email address on file which is the same one associated to my account with Apple. In the meantime I will uninstall your software.
Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 06:42:16 AM by EarlMcLean

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #21 on: February 21, 2023, 06:45:26 AM
No, i really updated the bug, not changed the "offline" window. Unfortunately the source code from Apple that shows how to manage iap has this bug so i think many apps has similar problem.

I think I know how to solve this issue, so please just give us one more chance - it will be done in version 5.1.3.

To refund - you have to contact apple, app/developers don't have any access to user account.

From previous posts I've already mentioned that I just recently purchased the iPad from Apple new. It's fully updated and yours is the only app I've purchased. I think it's clear at this point that as some kind of security measure your software is requiring an active internet connection in order to verify valididity of an existing license. I think what you're alluding to is that this is somehow common practice amongst IOS apps and that you didn't so much "fix a bug" as merely extended the window between authentication checks.

Like I mentioned before, I have no use for software I can't use offline indefinitely. To me, this is a digital canvas. This iPad has no need to be online to serve that function. It could go weeks or even potentially months without an active internet connection because I have other devices that fulfill that requirement. At this point it's fairly clear the licensing issue is a "feature", not a bug. To resolve this, I would appreciate a refund as I purchased your software in good faith and nowhere is it mentioned an active internet connection will be required for continued authentication of ownership. Had it been so, I certainly wouldn't have bought it. I would like to be done with this entirely. Please issue my refund. As a credit to the Apple app store, you should have my email address on file abbas is the same one associated to my account there. In the meantime I will uninstall your software.

EarlMcLean

Reply #22 on: February 22, 2023, 06:31:39 AM
I will wait for 1.5.3 as requested. I do appreciate your quick responses to posts.and I want to love this software as much as so many others seem to. I do hope you manage to fully solve the licensing issue with the method you've devised. Thank you again.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #23 on: February 27, 2023, 02:51:42 AM
Version 5.1.3 is available. App now saves Full Version state in its own cache and uses it when offline. It stores cached state for two weeks.

EarlMcLean

Reply #24 on: February 27, 2023, 09:41:02 AM
Thank you. I will download the update as soon as I get home.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #25 on: March 01, 2023, 04:05:23 PM
And? Is everything ok?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #26 on: March 06, 2023, 07:55:11 AM
??