Author Topic: Natural pigment color mixing - BETA  (Read 13147 times)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Natural pigment color mixing - BETA
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2023, 04:52:39 PM
After the change:
Standard / Pigment segment would be removed from Tool Options
Changing layer blending mode to Pigment would automatically lock tool blending mode to Pigment
Changing layer mode from Pigment to anything else would restore to previous tool blending mode

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 05:06:54 PM
Ah I see. Thanks for explaining! 😅 Yes I personally think it would be better with that change

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #17 on: February 04, 2023, 08:40:21 AM
It's ready in new beta! Now you have to only tap "Pigment" button in Layers panel to start using pigment blending.

LCArt

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2023, 11:52:55 AM
since it’s all about colors now! :D

+1 to custom accent color and if the dev releases the color coding for layers, it would really be "the colors update" for the app

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #20 on: February 04, 2023, 01:14:04 PM
Yes! +1 for color coding layers, it could be a great way to market the update "find your true colors" , or whatever! 😅

Like suggested in this thread

https://www.luckyclan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2757.msg7213#msg7213

For color coding layers it'd be great to have the option to select custom colors as well, which I believe they hinted at with the "..." icon behind the "standard" colors

LCArt

Reply #21 on: February 04, 2023, 01:20:20 PM
Yes! +1 for color coding layers, it could be a great way to market the update "find your true colors" , or whatever! 😅

Like suggested in this thread

https://www.luckyclan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2757.msg7213#msg7213

For color coding layers it'd be great to have the option to select custom colors as well, which I believe they hinted at with the "..." icon behind the "standard" colors

an easy and helpful way would be having a similar to current color panel open to pick the colors, so you can use your own swatches for the accents or the layers, but yeah, im super excited for this, hope its added, can see myself using it in every project :)

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 02:36:27 PM
It's ready in new beta! Now you have to only tap "Pigment" button in Layers panel to start using pigment blending.

Hmm I just tested it, don’t think it’s the best way to got about it… It’d make more sense to keep it in the “layer blending” drop down than to dedicate a new button to it, or to keep it in the menu that opens when clicking on the layer.

Also, while it works on a single layer now, it’s still not really behaving like a layer blending mode. When turning the pigment option off again, it doesn’t change the painted strokes back to the “normal blending” only new strokes will then blend “normal”. It would be like using the color dodge layer blending mode, and then even when turning it off, it wouldn’t change back to “normal”. And when using a whole group, it also only affects new layers that are added and not the ones already in it. It’s all very confusing right now.

Maybe the easiest solution would be to remove it completely as a layer blending option, and only leave it as an option for the brushes? At least if it’s not possible to make it behave like all the other layer blending options right now.

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #23 on: February 04, 2023, 02:38:05 PM
an easy and helpful way would be having a similar to current color panel open to pick the colors, so you can use your own swatches for the accents or the layers, but yeah, im super excited for this, hope its added, can see myself using it in every project :)

Yes agree, that would be amazing!😊

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #24 on: February 04, 2023, 03:01:09 PM
The whole pigment mechanism is not simple. Generally it is used in 3 places:
1. Layer blending mode (layer is blended with other layers below using pigment mixing)
2. Tool blending mode (strokes are blended with active layer content using pigment mixing)
3. In Wet Paint tool current brush content is mixed with layer content using Pigment mixing.

I first wanted to add separate option for each of that, but it would be too complex for users.
In most cases you will just use pigment blending in all these 3 places, so the single button is ok in my opinion

Hmm I just tested it, don’t think it’s the best way to got about it… It’d make more sense to keep it in the “layer blending” drop down than to dedicate a new button to it, or to keep it in the menu that opens when clicking on the layer.

Also, while it works on a single layer now, it’s still not really behaving like a layer blending mode. When turning the pigment option off again, it doesn’t change the painted strokes back to the “normal blending” only new strokes will then blend “normal”. It would be like using the color dodge layer blending mode, and then even when turning it off, it wouldn’t change back to “normal”. And when using a whole group, it also only affects new layers that are added and not the ones already in it. It’s all very confusing right now.

Maybe the easiest solution would be to remove it completely as a layer blending option, and only leave it as an option for the brushes? At least if it’s not possible to make it behave like all the other layer blending options right now.

artofbob

Reply #25 on: February 04, 2023, 04:30:45 PM
I know in ArtRage it just "does it" (pigment mixing). I don't think there's a way to turn in on or off. Same I think for Painter, and even Paintstorm Studio.

Rebelle Pro has a button you click and then I think, once again, it's just "on" everywhere, all the time.

Some use a separate palette to mix on, as well. This is where having the ability to open two documents side by side (or, at least, independent of each other) would be great. Right now (in the desktop version at least) you can only see one open document at a time, which is not really helpful in any situation as far as I can tell.

Bob

Pikachu

Reply #26 on: February 04, 2023, 04:54:18 PM
Wanted to say I love the global pigment mode, much easier and simpler than having to switch on the tool and layer mode

One bug I found is when you have pigment mode turned on a layer, if you make a new layer and then turn off pigment mode for that new layer, it deletes the layer.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #27 on: February 04, 2023, 05:07:33 PM
Ohh, indeed, thanks for reporting that. We will fix it asap

Wanted to say I love the global pigment mode, much easier and simpler than having to switch on the tool and layer mode

One bug I found is when you have pigment mode turned on a layer, if you make a new layer and then turn off pigment mode for that new layer, it deletes the layer.

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #28 on: February 04, 2023, 05:19:55 PM
Wait, I just realized that with the update, the option to add pigment blending to specific brushes was removed entirely?

That means now with the way it is set up, it’s not even possible to use the pigment option together with other layer blending modes, like color dodge/multiply/etc. and you have to turn it on for each layer individually… that makes no sense imo.

I agree that having just one button to turn it on is a good idea, but it should still be possible to then use other layer blending modes, multiple layers etc., together with the pigment option. Is there no way to make it globally that colors just behave like this, while keeping all other functionalities the same? Like Bob said, that it just “does it” when turning it on. I think a “global button” should then also be within the settings and not inside the layers panel.

Having to turn it on it for each individual layer, and not being able to use other layer blending modes with it, is very restrictive now
Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 05:26:19 PM by icezimy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #29 on: February 04, 2023, 05:28:51 PM
Pigment is one of the layer blendings, so you cannot use it together with other layer blendings.

I think you meant to allow to use pigment tool blending with for example Color Dodge layer blending. Indeed, it is not possible now. We will consider to bring back Pigment blending to the list of tool blending modes…

Wait, I just realized that with the update, the option to add pigment blending to specific brushes was removed entirely?

That means now with the way it is set up, it’s not even possible to use the pigment option together with other layer blending modes, like color dodge/multiply/etc. and you have to turn it on for each layer individually… that makes no sense imo.

I agree that having just one button to turn it on is a good idea, but it should still be possible to then use other layer blending modes, multiple layers etc., together with the pigment option. Is there no way to make it globally that colors just behave like this, while keeping all other functionalities the same? Like Bob said, that it just “does it” when turning it on. I think a “global button” should then also be within the settings and not inside the layers panel.