Author Topic: Natural pigment color mixing - BETA  (Read 13157 times)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Natural pigment color mixing - BETA
on: February 02, 2023, 10:16:49 AM
We are very proud to publish new beta with pigment blending. Please post your feedback in this thread! If anybody wants to joins beta tests please contact us be email: [email protected].

How to use it:
- change layer blending mode from Normal to Pigment (not necessary)
- in tool settings change Color Mixing to Pigment (the other option is changing tool blending from Normal to Pigment)
- it works with any brush

Others:
- you can also use Pigment mixing in Gradient tool
- added Pigments color swatches group
- added Pigments brush group
- added Pigments gradients group

LCArt

Re: Natural pigment color mixing - BETA
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 11:06:00 AM
Quick test with red, yellow and blue:

The colors are so vibrant and pop out nicely <3

Is it normal that the beta app asks me for subscription? I already have the full version. It would help testing the app more if i could save ^^U

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 12:16:35 PM
In beta you can enable full version in Preferences > Geneeal

LCArt

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 12:18:00 PM
In beta you can enable full version in Preferences > Geneeal
oooh, nice, thanks :)

LCArt

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 06:08:15 PM
one bug i found so far, looks like using "current and below" with pigment brushes makes the canvas flash

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 03:28:11 AM
Please write more details: brush you used, layer structure, layer blending, tool blending etc

one bug i found so far, looks like using "current and below" with pigment brushes makes the canvas flash

LCArt

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 10:56:55 AM
brush: wet brush > digital gloss
brush config changed: general > blending > pigment
In the wet paint options accessed from the left bar at the bottom: color mixing > standard, blending > pigment, sample > current and below

The blinking happens to layers above the ones you are drawing, for example the lineart layer when you paint below it. It doesn't happen 100% of the time but often enough to notice the bug

Unrelated (i think) but the bug that doesn't refresh the canvas is back too, the one that shows a pixelated version of the drawing until you pan, zoom, etc

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 01:01:46 PM
I cannot reproduce that.

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 02:54:14 PM
Hey!

I'm so happy to finally test the new beta! It's amazing so far!
Here are a few things and bugs I've noticed so far:

General bugs:

1) When importing an image into the reference view while a Bluetooth controller (8bitdo zero 2) is connected, it somehow disconnects it until the app restarted. (This is an issue outside of the beta too, with the version currently available on the AppStore)

2) When trying to open an existing file that has “missing fonts” (fonts that are not currently imported into ASP already) it doesn’t open the document at all and gets stuck in an endless loading cycle until the app is restarted.

3) Same files generally seems to have longer loading times to open them, than in the current AppStore version.

Pigment Bugs:

I’ve used the standard "hard dyn opacity round" as brush tool and "light smudge" as smudge tool for testing the pigment options:

4) I can't seem to get the pigment option with the "layer blending mode" option to work at all. It behaves like a normal layer.

Can’t seem to replicate that one either

Suggestions:

5) Could there be a way to globally enable the pigment option inside the settings, instead of each brush/layer individually ? Similarly to how it was recently implemented to automatically have the "opacity slider" set as default for each brush, an automatic global "pigment option" would be very nice too (I think most people will probably use it for all their brushes anyway). I also use brushes mainly out of the "favorites" panel and right now, you have to manually turn the pigment option on again every time you switch the brush or tool. (Unless I manually re-save each brush/tool with the pigment option, which will take a lot of time).

6) Nothing to do with the new Pigments. But maybe now could be a good time to also introduce a way to let users choose a fully custom accent color for the UI? This has been suggested in the past a few times, but I think it would be great to be able to choose your own accent color in addition to one of the few that can be selected right now. Either via a color wheel or even just with a hex code. Just wanted to bring this up again, since it’s all about colors now! :D

I'm also very happy to see that the pigment option works together with other layer blending modes like "color dodge" or “multiply”. And that exporting into other programs/formats doesn't seems to mess with the colors. This is such a huge game changer over all!

I'm testing on the 2021/ 12.9 iPad Pro / M1 / 512GB.
3240x4050px canvas, 50%grey background, sRGB color mode

Thanks for the great work Lucky Clan! :)
Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 02:59:05 PM by icezimy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 03:17:46 PM
There are 2 places to turn on pigment feature:
1. Pigment blending in Layers panel (not needed when you paint on opaque layer or you use a single layer for everything)
2. Pigment mode (or pigment blending) in Tool options

Bugs: i will be fixing them next week

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 04:20:17 PM
1. Pigment blending in Layers panel (not needed when you paint on opaque layer or you use a single layer for everything)

I see now. It works with 2 different layers set to “Pigment”. I think it would be good if it would also work on a single layer. So when the layer is set to Pigment, it blends everything on this layer with the pigment mode even when using a non-pigment brush. (In addition to it interacting with other pigment layers like it does currently)

Same applies to when changing the layer blending mode of a whole group to Pigment. You would except that all layers inside the group to behave accordingly, but that’s not the case right now.

3) Same files generally seems to have longer loading times to open them, than in the current AppStore version.

It fixed itself after restarting the iPad and App!
Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 04:32:31 PM by icezimy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 04:26:36 PM
Yes, we are also considering option to turn on Pigment feature by just setting layer blending to Pigment. It would then change  tool mode to Pigment as well.

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 04:34:53 PM
Yes it would make more sense for it to behave like other layer blending modes

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 04:39:33 PM
It would be like other blending modes, it would just automatically turn on Pigment mode in Paint / Wet Paint / Smudge tools. Now you have to do 2 things:
1. Change Layer blending mode to Pigment
2. Change tool mode from Standard to Pigment

After change you will have to only change layer blending mode

Yes it would make more sense for it to behave like other layer blending modes

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 04:46:26 PM
But if I would then switch to a “Normal” layer or any other layer with a different layer blending mode than Pigment, will it then be turned off again in the tool settings automatically? And turn on again if I switch back to the pigment layer?

And besides that, is the “global pigment” option for all brushes, that I suggested above be a possible consideration?