Author Topic: Apple Pencil Hover  (Read 4125 times)

Ben

Apple Pencil Hover
on: October 19, 2022, 06:15:24 AM
https://youtu.be/yUKRkPKg5_U?t=373

So, apple just released the iPads pro with an exciting new feature called Apple Pencil hover, I am sure painting software can take advantage of that. Any Ideas?

I was thinking the brush preview can be shown when the pencil hovers above the screen, showing the brush size/shape/tilt and orientation live (with the option to automatically turn that preview off once you touch the screen). That should allow for more precision and possibly interesting "real" brush simulations, but there are likely many more possibilities to make use of that feature and I am curious to see how it's being used
Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 12:16:47 PM by Jack Ofalltrades

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Re: Apple Pencil Hover
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 09:37:26 AM
I was emailing with the dev yesterday, they're already working on implementing the hover feature for the new M2 iPads! :)

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 03:01:03 PM
Very excited to see what Lucky Clan does for this!

Ben

Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 06:01:43 AM

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 03:53:40 AM
Hover feature is there, you just have to turn on the cursor. You can do it here:
Artstudio > Preferences > Interface > Cursor Shape

pluskid

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 10:26:54 PM
Is the pencil tilt information available in the hover event? Is yes, is it possible to also show the orientation of the cursor in hover when the brush orientation dynamics is set to be determined by the pen tilt?

I think this is the one of the most useful feature for the hover capabilities. If we are able to preview the orientation of brushes (like on a computer with Wacom tablet), then it would be much easier to use a flat brush that can do both broad and thin strokes at the same time. It would make blocking out various shapes much easier and faster. A good example is the excellent built-in "Borodante brush" (with rotation jitter turned off).

Thanks a lot!
Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 04:27:19 PM by pluskid

pluskid

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 05:21:46 PM
I don't really know iOS programming, but it seems there are both altitudeAngle and azimuthAngle in UIHoverGestureRecognizer ( https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uihovergesturerecognizer?changes=_5 ). Does it mean at least technically we have the required information to support orientation previewing?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 11:07:17 AM
Azimuth (tilt) / angle will be available in hover event in iOS 16.4+, we will add it immediately

pluskid

Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 11:11:47 PM
Thank you! I just saw the news about iPadOS 16.4 adding this feature! Updated the OS and tried it out with Procreate, it works great! Looking forward to seeing this feature added in Artstudio Pro as well!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 02:59:18 AM
We have it implemented! New version will be released in the next few days.