Author Topic: Suggestion : "Nudge" mode for Paint sidebar  (Read 6375 times)

alfanders

Suggestion : "Nudge" mode for Paint sidebar
on: April 10, 2022, 05:20:21 PM
Hi! I have a suggestion for the Paint sidebar! ✨✨

First of all, this might be rather complicated for me to explain so please feel free to ask the part where I'm not being clear. I genuinely do not mind, and I'd love to elaborate. Thank you in advance! ✨

There are two parts within this suggestion, which are :
  • Sidebar width for Paint tool.
  • Nudge mode for the sidebar for Paint tool, Colors sidebar, and Elastify filter.

--

1. Sidebar width for Paint tool.

I have a suggestion to increase the sidebar width for the Paint tool to be as wide as other tools. I noticed that all other tools such as Lasso, Move, etc have this rather wider toolbar which is easier to reach rather than the narrower Paint tool sidebar. I believe the example of the already implemented slider size would be on the Elastify tool sidebar.

And I feel like it is essential to widen/increase the active area of the slider so that it's more forgiving and could require less precise control, which would make it more comfortable to use. This video below shows that, currently, the slider "active area" on Elastify's slider is quite narrow.

https://youtu.be/lS-t5HgICyc

I tried to click it from the outer side of the sidebar, and it registers as a sidebar gesture once it reaches the width of the (S) puck (shown in the dotted rectangle area). I believe making it wider would really benefit the comfort of interacting with the UI. Here's what I suggest how big the active area should be.

--

2. Nudge mode for the sidebar for Paint tool, Colors sidebar, and Elastify filter.

The next one is what I'm calling Nudge mode.

if you're using this Adjust Brush Size for the Single Touch gesture,

when you touch the screen, regardless of where you touch. The starting condition would be the current brush size, and it gets bigger or smaller based on the direction and distance of the swipe you make. Just like this https://youtu.be/Rf_tMJ6FEBk .
For the sake of terminology, I'm going to call this "starting from the current condition and moving it towards the direction" as Nudging.

I feel like this is a brilliant feature, since you could be less precise in where you'd put your finger first if you want to stay using the same brush size. Unlike the default sidebar where the puck would always go to where you tap, making it quite challenging to select your current brush size. (Just for example, here's how it look for me trying to get the same brush size using current sidebar https://youtu.be/diD6GvGhGrk ).

I really love this feeling of being able to adjust the brush size gradually starting from your current size. Say, if you want to make a stroke, and turns out it's just a little too big, you could just swipe down just a little, and it'd be perfect. I feel like it's quite unfortunate that this experience would just be kept exclusive to the one-finger gesture swipe. Especially since there is another one-finger gesture that would be terrific to use (like my personal favorite, quick menu).

That is why I came up with this idea of having a Nudge Mode for Paint Sidebar (or any sidebar that uses a slider, for example, Elastify). It basically is an area that acts as a starting point (like a huge button in the shape of a slider) that would activate the same behavior as the Adjust Brush Size gesture. That is, wherever you touch the area within the slider, it would use the Current brush size, and gradually increase or decrease the size based on the distance of your swipe.

And since it doesn't require you to actually touch/point at the slider puck, you could use a smaller more-precise puck indicator for the slider.
Like this! or this for the color picker!

This would be especially useful for the Color Sidebar where you want to gradually offset the color to make a subtle color variation. Since this Nudge Mode slider allows you to be less precise, you could be adding a little bit of, say, red color  more easily than having to actually click the same position of slider puck using the default color slider.

Here's a mockup showing how I imagine the Nudge Mode would work.

https://youtu.be/0Bp9Ow8QL_8

It could be seen that once the brush size nudge is active, it doesn't matter if the swipe is being dragged out of the slider active area, it would still register as nudging the brush size. This maximizes comfort and gives a more forgiving UX. It also could be seen that since it's designed for a less-precise control, you could basically use the swipe without really looking at the slider. Since you're looking at the center of the canvas where you're currently drawing, I believe it'd be better UX-wise and would be easier on the eye to use the center brush preview rather than the side brush preview usually used for slider.

--

Extra :

If this does gets implemented, if it's not too much, I'd also ask an additional thing

Just like there's two options for these gestures

I'd also love to have a version of Nudge Mode that doesn't have the Opacity option since I'd prefer to have my opacity locked in the brush setting and not changing it. Having the option to not have the Opacity slider would help me not to accidentally change the Opacity setting of my brush. So, something like this

--

Thank you so much for reading this far!! Please feel free to ask me to elaborate on any part you like!
Would love to hear your opinion on this!!

Thank youuu ✨✨
Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 05:24:52 PM by alfanders

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Re: Suggestion : "Nudge" mode for Paint sidebar
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 09:12:02 AM

Sidebar width for Paint tool.

I have a suggestion to increase the sidebar width for the Paint tool to be as wide as other tools. I noticed that all other tools such as Lasso, Move, etc have this rather wider toolbar which is easier to reach rather than the narrower Paint tool sidebar. I believe the example of the already implemented slider size would be on the Elastify tool sidebar.

As someone who prefers the interface to be as minimal as possible, with the canvas space to be as maximized as possible I really have to disagree with the idea of making the sidebar wider, when it doesn’t need to be. Since probably only very few people might actually ever have an issue with the current width of the slider sizes anyway.

The wider sliders are okay for tools that are only used for short amount of times like the move tool, select tools, etc…those tools are also significantly shorter in height than the paint tool, eraser tool, smudge tool, dodge tool, wet paint tool, text tool, eyedropper tool etc. where it’s a lot  longer and thus looks imo a lot better and “canvas save spacing” when it’s narrow like how it is currently.

And the paint tool sliders are also on the screen constantly, except when in full-screen mode. So making them bigger would from my view also not look aesthetically pleasing, since the slider themselves are quite neat and narrow, so giving them an unnecessary big box around them, doesn’t seem right. If anything, I would suggest making the sidebar sliders for Elastify the same width like the current narrow paint/eraser/text etc. tool, if having it visually consistent between the them is a concern.

But as a compromise, maybe the active area could still be increased, but without making the box actually visually bigger. So for someone like Alfanders, it would be more forgiving, but also it wouldn’t interfere with the current minimal UI.

It’s already a bummer that the top toolbar had to get wider due to the 3 multitasking dots from Apple not being removable. And I remember many people on this forum didn’t receive that change well either, so probably making the paint tool sidebar wider, wouldn’t be desired by most people too.

“2. Nudge mode for the sidebar for Paint tool, Colors sidebar, and Elastify filter”

Instead of a Nudge mode, I would suggest to introduce a customizable “Touch and Hold” gesture into the gesture preferences. Since from what I understand, one of the main reasons for the nudge mode would be so you can change the the brush size/opacity with one finger, while also still having the quick menu accessible with one finger.

And the one finger hold gesture does already exist in ASP with the long press eye dropper finger gesture, so the “only” thing that would need to be changed is adding the option to change/customize what happens when long pressing the finger, and adding quick menu etc as an option, like for all the finger other gestures.

Also I didn’t understand the problem with choosing the brush sizes or colors, I can slide the current sliders very precisely to a desired size or color as well, you just have to drag and hold the slider instead of tapping. So I don’t quite understand where the actual difference or benefit would be to what you suggested?

”Extra”

Instead of using the full length for just the size slider, I would suggest a “lock” option for the sliders. Similar to how it is currently in the color wheel, where you can quickly lock the color luminosity with a long press on the slider. That same option but to lock the size/opacity/flow sliders on the side could be useful to some.

That’s all, Thanks :)
Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 06:24:19 AM by icezimy

alfanders

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 01:30:46 AM
Hi! Thanks for the response icezimy!

--

For the size, I personally think this'd be fine since the difference wouldn't be that much / noticable. "Virtually" the difference would just be around 24 pixels.

I believe this implementation would be what icezimy suggested right?

I believe this implementation would come with a few caveats. That is if we make it this way as suggested, while it works in increasing the comfort of use, this would be rather less intuitive since you would activate the slider on the edge cases where you want to do something that should result in something else. For example, if you want to activate the finger gesture around that area, you'd instead activate the slider. Or on the edge cases where you'd want to draw within that area, it'd be less intuitive if the slider activates instead.

Tho, I might not have been clear in communicating the usage of why I suggested the width increase. My usage is when you try not to look at the slider and try to change the size of brush. I will say from my own experience since I haven't really ask other people to try this, but this proves quite tricky to do due to the rather small active area. I believe increasing the sidebar size would communicate that it is okay to touch the sidebar a little bit to the right.

I also believe this sidebar case would be quite different from the Toolbar got bigger thread since the topside toolbar size addition didn't really offer any improved usability or UX, but rather to deal with an unexpected change by apple.

But I do agree, keeping the sidebar small does look better since it looks more minimalistic. If above edge cases I mentioned is deemed acceptable then I do not mind having it implemented this way since it already addresses my point of having it more forgiving to use.

as for the application within other similar app that might be of reference, I believe it is rather similar to how they do it on procreate as well and I think it still works and looks pretty fine.

Sidebar width for Paint tool.

As someone who prefers the interface to be as minimal as possible, with the canvas space to be as maximized as possible I really have to disagree with the idea of making the sidebar wider, when it doesn’t need to be. Since probably only very few people might actually ever have an issue with the current width of the slider sizes anyway.

The wider sliders are okay for tools that are only used for short amount of times like the move tool, select tools, etc…those tools are also significantly shorter in height than the paint tool, eraser tool, smudge tool, dodge tool, wet paint tool, text tool, eyedropper tool etc. where it’s a lot  longer and thus looks imo a lot better and “canvas save spacing” when it’s narrow like how it is currently.

And the paint tool sliders are also on the screen constantly, except when in full-screen mode. So making them bigger would from my view also not look aesthetically pleasing, since the slider themselves are quite neat and narrow, so giving them an unnecessary big box around them, doesn’t seem right. If anything, I would suggest making the sidebar sliders for Elastify the same width like the current narrow paint/eraser/text etc. tool, if having it visually consistent between the them is a concern.

But as a compromise, maybe the active area could still be increased, but without making the box actually visually bigger. So for someone like Alfanders, it would be more forgiving, but also it wouldn’t interfere with the current minimal UI.

It’s already a bummer that the top toolbar had to get wider due to the 3 multitasking dots from Apple not being removable. And I remember many people on this forum didn’t receive that change well either, so probably making the paint tool sidebar wider, wouldn’t be desired by most people too.

--

Ah, I believe “Touch and Hold” wouldn't be ideal. As I believe icezimy does as well, I change my brush size all the time. Having to hold to change brush size I believe would add a rather unnecessary waiting time that won't really be that comfortable to use. Additionally, I already love the current hold to eyedropper implementation of Artstudio Pro. But I do think that the gesture option for hold is a nice suggestion! ✨ I believe more options for the users would be better, since it could accomodate more kinds of workflow. I just personally don't think I would change the hold-to-eyedrop.

To address for "what's the problem with choosing the brush sizes or colors", I have to mention the use case first. This use case is to accomodate for a keyboard-less usage, those who prefer to change brush size using a less-precise and more gesture-like behavior while still having subtle control. It's similar to how the Quick Menu gesture would accomodate a less precise movement than choosing the correct button on topside toolbar.

Currently, if you try to, let's say, make your color "a little bit redder" on the color sidebar, you have to click on the exact spot of where your puck is if you don't want to change the color immediately (since the color would change if you click even a bit up or down the center of puck position). I believe starting with "current color" or "current size/opacity" wherever you touch the slider would be more forgiving to someone who wants to gradually change the color/size. Also, this would be the keyboard-less equivalent of hitting "increase brush size" or "decrease brush size" on the keyboard, because it starts from current brush size without the need to "re-select" your current brush size.

So, with the current implementation, to change the color "slightly redder", you have to do this exact miniscule movement, at this exact position.

Even when I'm using my apple pencil to do this, just selecting the "current color" in the slider already proves challenging, changing it slightly is also quite challenging. While it could be done one or two time, if you were to change it many times throughout the painting process (as you would be, since you tend to use slight adjustments of colors especially for a more realistic style of color), it wouldn't be that comfortable to use. With the nudge mode however, you could start from wherever you like within the slider, and do slight changes easier since it is designed with gradual change in mind. This nudge mode basically expands on the current brilliant implementation of "Adjust brush size" gesture and implementing it on other features that I believe would benefit from this.

and also, "you just have to drag and hold the slider instead of tapping", I wasn't trying to pick my desired color. I was trying to pick my current color so I could start gradually dragging it towards the color that I want. ✨

tho, may I know whether you prefer for this not to be implemented? I believe this also goes along with your other concern you've raised before which is to minimize changes of the current implementation unless necessary, and add additional features as a toggle-able option. I believe this additional mode wouldn't change your current workflow since I imagine it'd be toggle-able.

“2. Nudge mode for the sidebar for Paint tool, Colors sidebar, and Elastify filter”

Instead of a Nudge mode, I would suggest to introduce a customizable “Touch and Hold” gesture into the gesture preferences. Since from what I understand, one of the main reasons for the nudge mode would be so you can change the the brush size/opacity with one finger, while also still having the quick menu accessible with one finger.

And the one finger hold gesture does already exist in ASP with the long press eye dropper finger gesture, so the “only” thing that would need to be changed is adding the option to change/customize what happens when long pressing the finger, and adding quick menu etc as an option, like for all the finger other gestures.

Also I didn’t understand the problem with choosing the brush sizes or colors, I can slide the current sliders very precisely to a desired size or color as well, you just have to drag and hold the slider instead of tapping. So I don’t quite understand where the actual difference or benefit would be to what you suggested?

--

Oh, I believe you could just tap on the color wheel circular slider for it to lock the luminosity. But I do think the lock option would be a nice addition as it is quite intuitive! Something like this maybe?

I think having a full length for size would be nice strictly for the nudge mode, since it would just mean more area to activate the slider adjustment. It wouldn't really be ideal if the full slider would be applied to the default implementation of the slider since it would make it rather cumbersome to have to move accross that much of screen space to adjust the full size. I do still think I'd like to request a full-size sidebar for the brush size nudge slider area since it wouldn't change much of the usage experience of changing brush size, on the contrary it would improve the usage since you have more space to use with, hence more forgiving. But I do think having the lock mode for the current default paint sidebar implementation as icezimy suggested is a brilliant suggestion! Thanks! 💖✨

”Extra”

Instead of using the full length for just the size slider, I would suggest a “lock” option for the sliders. Similar to how it is currently in the color wheel, where you can quickly lock the color luminosity with a long press on the slider. That same option but to lock the size/opacity/flow sliders on the side could be useful to some.

That’s all, Thanks :)

alfanders

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 04:07:15 AM
Ah a little addition, I think this would help illustrate the idea better ✨✨

Basically I envision nudge mode as a dial like this.

While a slider and a dial both could change the size of a brush, the way they are used are quite different. And they both have their own advantages and use cases. As for the dial, I believe it would offer a finer control with lesser required precision. I believe having this would be advantageous and could accommodate a more comfortable gesture-like experience, especially when you're not using a keyboard.

And of course, if the user wants to, as I imagine that it would be toggle-able 💖✨

Thank you!! 💖✨
Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 04:14:00 AM by alfanders

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 06:22:17 AM
1. Bigger Sidebar

For the size, I personally think this'd be fine since the difference wouldn't be that much / noticable. "Virtually" the difference would just be around 24 pixels.

(....) as for the application within other similar app that might be of reference, I believe it is rather similar to how they do it on procreate as well and I think it still works and looks pretty fine.

I know 24px doesn't sound like a lot, but it can feel like a lot. Just like you believe that 24px increase will make it that much easier to use, I believe that 24px increase will make it that much less pleasant to look at permanently as the main UI.

Procreate sliders look very different to begin with, yet they would still be thinner and also much shorter than the wider ones you suggest for ASP. And I always preferred the thinner but longer ones in ASP ever since I switched from Procreate, I think it gives a more "professional" look and more length-room to change sizes/opacity.

I believe this implementation would come with a few caveats. That is if we make it this way as suggested, while it works in increasing the comfort of use, this would be rather less intuitive since you would activate the slider on the edge cases where you want to do something that should result in something else. For example, if you want to activate the finger gesture around that area, you'd instead activate the slider. Or on the edge cases where you'd want to draw within that area, it'd be less intuitive if the slider activates instead.

Most people probably don't draw or use most gestures that much on the edge of the screen anyway, but just look there. So I still think that it would be the better compromise, than a visually wider sidebar, when most people probably wouldn't even notice the benefit of it but would only notice that it did get wider for some reason.

Tho, I might not have been clear in communicating the usage of why I suggested the width increase. My usage is when you try not to look at the slider and try to change the size of brush. I will say from my own experience since I haven't really ask other people to try this, but this proves quite tricky to do due to the rather small active area. I believe increasing the sidebar size would communicate that it is okay to touch the sidebar a little bit to the right.

Thats a very specific use for it to permanently make the main UI look worse. I also just tried that, and personally didn't have trouble changing the sliders while not looking. Also there are already additional ways to change them without looking, such as the finger gestures or keyboard/controller shortcuts. So imo there's no real need to add even more, especially not if a negative UI change needs to be made just for it.

I also believe this sidebar case would be quite different from the Toolbar got bigger thread since the topside toolbar size addition didn't really offer any improved usability or UX, but rather to deal with an unexpected change by apple.

A wider sidebar also would also only offer "improved" UX for a very specific case, which would be - changing sizes, while not wanting to look at it, while not wanting to use the finger or keyboard options - For everything else there would just be a wider sidebar with no other benefits. So I definitely can imagine, that it wouldn’t be well received by many people.

But I do agree, keeping the sidebar small does look better since it looks more minimalistic. If above edge cases I mentioned is deemed acceptable then I do not mind having it implemented this way since it already addresses my point of having it more forgiving to use.

If you can even agree that keeping it narrow looks better and more minimalistic, then I think it should be save to say that it shouldn't be made wider. If just the wider "active area" thing, without making it visually bigger would be acceptable, is for the developers to decide, but like I said, I think it's definitely the better compromise than making the sidebar visually bigger for a use case that can already be solved in several different ways and is not a common issue.

2. Nudge mode

Ah, I believe “Touch and Hold” wouldn't be ideal. As I believe icezimy does as well, I change my brush size all the time. Having to hold to change brush size I believe would add a rather unnecessary waiting time that won't really be that comfortable to use. Additionally, I already love the current hold to eyedropper implementation of Artstudio Pro. But I do think that the gesture option for hold is a nice suggestion! ✨ I believe more options for the users would be better, since it could accomodate more kinds of workflow. I just personally don't think I would change the hold-to-eyedrop.

Nah I meant the "finger touch and hold" as an added option for opening the quick menu, which could be set to very low delay time, so it wouldn't be much of a delay. So basically, you could choose whether you want the eyedropper or the quick menu set to "finger touch and hold"

And then you can use the normal "one finger swipe" gesture that already exists right now, to change size/opacity instead of it triggering the quick menu, since that could then be the "finger touch and hold", like said above.

And the "touch and hold" for finger and apple pencil are two separate things. So you could still use the eyedropper "pencil touch and hold" gesture with the apple pencil, which is more precise imo than with the finger anyway.

tho, may I know whether you prefer for this not to be implemented? I believe this also goes along with your other concern you've raised before which is to minimize changes of the current implementation unless necessary, and add additional features as a toggle-able option. I believe this additional mode wouldn't change your current workflow since I imagine it'd be toggle-able.

Thanks for explaining a bit further! I get it now. But don't really have a strong opinion on this. Personally wouldn't need it since I use a controller/3 finger gesture to change sizes/opacity most of the time, and also mostly pick colors with the color wheel and not via the sidebar. And I have never felt like not having enough control over the sliders, be it with controller, keyboard, finger or pencil.

So as long as this nudge feature would be toggleable/optional and not be the "New default", I think it would be good to implement for people like you who might have had issues with it. Maybe the "wider sidebar thing" discussed above, would be able to get implemented just for the nudge mode, since I then see those two kinda going hand-in-hand.

3.Extra

Oh, I believe you could just tap on the color wheel circular slider for it to lock the luminosity. But I do think the lock option would be a nice addition as it is quite intuitive! Something like this maybe?

Yea that's kinda how I imagined it too

--
Sorry if I repeated myself, not easy to answer such long texts lol
Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 06:34:23 AM by icezimy

alfanders

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 07:09:46 AM
If you can even agree that keeping it narrow looks better and more minimalistic, then I think it should be save to say that it shouldn't be made wider. If just the wider "active area" thing, without making it visually bigger would be acceptable, is for the developers to decide, but like I said, I think it's definitely the better compromise than making the sidebar visually bigger for a use case that can already be solved in several different ways and is not a common issue.

Sure thing! The narrower option with bigger active area works for me! Sounds good to me! ✨

Nah I meant the "finger touch and hold" as an added option for opening the quick menu, which could be set to very low delay time, so it wouldn't be much of a delay. So basically, you could choose whether you want the eyedropper or the quick menu set to "finger touch and hold"

And then you can use the normal "one finger swipe" gesture that already exists right now, to change size/opacity instead of it triggering the quick menu, since that could then be the "finger touch and hold", like said above.

And the "touch and hold" for finger and apple pencil are two separate things. So you could still use the eyedropper "pencil touch and hold" gesture with the apple pencil, which is more precise imo than with the finger anyway.

Ah I see! I never knew those two are separate. I prefer to use my finger for gestures and my pen to draw but it's nice to know there are options! Also as I mention I think I'd stick to the "hold to use eyedropper" , but I still think adding the hold gesture option is a great suggestion! ✨

So as long as this nudge feature would be toggleable/optional and not be the "New default", I think it would be good to implement for people like you who might have had issues with it. Maybe the "wider sidebar thing" discussed above, would be able to get implemented just for the nudge mode, since I then see those two kinda going hand-in-hand.

Actually, even if we go with the narrower option as you suggested for the nudge mode, as long as the active area is wider, I think it would work perfectly no problem! ✨✨

Sorry if I repeated myself, not easy to answer such long texts lol

I do not mind at all! Thank you so much for your response and lovely suggestions! 💖✨
Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 07:11:26 AM by alfanders

barel

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 12:20:55 PM
I haven’t read the whole discussion, but regarding the “nudge mode”, is that not already achieved by toggling “snappable sliders” off?

Pikachu

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 08:36:49 PM
Keeping it the same as elastify is not really an argument for this change, since you spend less than a percent of actual drawing time in elastify, so it's okay for the UI to take up space during that time. In the other 99.~% while I'm drawing I'd prefer it to take up as least space as possible. Honestly I've never struggled with the sliders so I guess your point of view seems foreign to me.

As for nudge mode, maybe? I've never had that much of a problem with the issue this would solve, I use three finger swipe to adjust brush size and it's pretty easy to nudge brush size by very slightly moving your fingers. Maybe this could solve both your problems?

alfanders

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 12:50:42 AM
I haven’t read the whole discussion, but regarding the “nudge mode”, is that not already achieved by toggling “snappable sliders” off?

OH. MY. GOD.
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED ALDKJAS I NEVER KNEW THIS EXISTED THANK YOU SO MUCHHH 😭😭💖
APPARENTLY IT'S ALREADY IMPLEMENTED HSHSHSH THANK YOU 💦💦
I wouldn't know unless someone tells me 🤧🤧

THANK YOUUU 🤧💖

Keeping it the same as elastify is not really an argument for this change, since you spend less than a percent of actual drawing time in elastify, so it's okay for the UI to take up space during that time. In the other 99.~% while I'm drawing I'd prefer it to take up as least space as possible. Honestly I've never struggled with the sliders so I guess your point of view seems foreign to me.

Hahah yes I often missed the slider when I use my left thumb to resize the brush 💦
I guess I have a rather fat thumb 💦💦

I agree with you on elastify! Whichever works fine tbqh for me, either the narrower or the wider option. As long as the Active Area gets wider. ✨
And yes I do agree with you if the narrower paint toolbar can be retained while the Active Area gets wider, I think it would look great while having it more comfortable to use! ✨

As for nudge mode, maybe? I've never had that much of a problem with the issue this would solve, I use three finger swipe to adjust brush size and it's pretty easy to nudge brush size by very slightly moving your fingers. Maybe this could solve both your problems?

I... was apparently unaware there's already an option for this called Snappable Sliders 😭🤧💦
Props to barel for bringing this up thank you so much 🤧🤧

If the option could accommodate it, I'd prefer to have the slider does the brush-size changing since the position is really comfortable that way. And yes apparently they already could 💦

Thank you so much for pointing out the 3 finger swipe!! ✨✨

--

Thank you so much for your responses guys appreciate it! ✨
Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 12:54:45 AM by alfanders

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 08:17:02 AM
Thanks for your discussion.

Actually sidebar width is 32 for paiting tools, and 50 for other.
I made a quick test and set it to 44 for everything, and i think i like it! "44" is very universal value, it is size suggested by apple, and we also use it as top toolbar height and in many other places.  I will release "width 44" in the next beta.
There is one small disadvantage - it shows less items when using "Swatches" mode (View > Colors Sidebar > Swatches)

Screenshots attached.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 08:38:21 AM
About the wheel - we have already implemented something similar 2 years ago, but finally drop it because of two disadvantages:
- it doesn't show current brush size (slider show it as an orange part)
- it is not possible to add tap gesture to quickly set wanted size, you always have to scroll...

While a slider and a dial both could change the size of a brush, the way they are used are quite different. And they both have their own advantages and use cases. As for the dial, I believe it would offer a finer control with lesser required precision. I believe having this would be advantageous and could accommodate a more comfortable gesture-like experience, especially when you're not using a keyboard.

And of course, if the user wants to, as I imagine that it would be toggle-able 💖✨

Thank you!! 💖✨

alfanders

Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 10:44:41 AM
Thanks for your discussion.

Actually sidebar width is 32 for paiting tools, and 50 for other.
I made a quick test and set it to 44 for everything, and i think i like it! "44" is very universal value, it is size suggested by apple, and we also use it as top toolbar height and in many other places.  I will release "width 44" in the next beta.
There is one small disadvantage - it shows less items when using "Swatches" mode (View > Colors Sidebar > Swatches)

Screenshots attached.

Thank you for implementing this and to consider my request! Highly appreciate your effort!! 💖✨

artstudio

Reply #12 on: April 28, 2022, 10:51:53 AM
I am too among people who don't want to reduce the active painting area. I think comparing the brush size sliders width with Procreate is not the correct way because Procreate does not have floating brush or layer panels and hence Procreate takes far less screen space while making it a bit difficult to work. I think it is better to keep the brush sliders at 32 and increase the active area of touch instead.
A very important feature needed is brush memory markers on brush sliders like Procreate implemented recently. It only has 5 memory markers though. ASP can have a few more. I don't know how to upload an image here. I have an interface suggestion regarding Apple 3 dots. Let me know how to post an image ?

Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 01:48:42 AM by artstudio

alfanders

Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 10:57:10 AM
Hi!! Yes, about the wheel, it was just to explain how this work in a more intuitive way. I don't think the UI should look like this.

I believe the way it should be implemented is more like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bp9Ow8QL_8

However, barel let me know that apparently you have already implemented it as toggling Snappble Sliders off

I believe the only missing thing right now is to have a "gradual slider" option where the speed of the slider would mimic this gesture. This would enable the UI to acccess similar feel to the gesture.

And for the "Quickly add tap gesture to set size", since the user is deliberately turning off "snappable slider", I believe this would be within their expectation. They turn of snappable slider fully understand that the way they are gonna set the size is by swiping. This is already a "different mode". So I believe this is not an issue.

I seriously hope there's an option to use the same swiping speed as the gesture. That'd help very much.

Thank you for the lovely reply! 💖✨

About the wheel - we have already implemented something similar 2 years ago, but finally drop it because of two disadvantages:
- it doesn't show current brush size (slider show it as an orange part)
- it is not possible to add tap gesture to quickly set wanted size, you always have to scroll...

Thank you!! 💖✨

alfanders

Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 10:59:06 AM
I am too among people who don't want to reduce the active painting area. I think comparing the brush size sliders width with Procreate is not the correct way because Procreate does not have floating brush or layer panels and hence Procreate takes far less screen space while making it a bit difficult to work. I think it is better to keep the brush sliders at 32 and increase the active area of touch instead.
A very important feature needed is brush memory markers on brush sliders like Procreate implemented recently. It only has 5 memory markers though. ASP can have a few more. I don't know how to upload an image here. I have an interface suggestion regarding Apple 3 dots. Let me know how to post an image ?

Hi! feel free to use this feature when you're in the reply page!

and I feel like making a new thread if you want to talk about the three dots toolbar would be preferable to keep the thread on topic! ✨
Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 11:01:39 AM by alfanders