Author Topic: Gradient map and performance  (Read 3459 times)

LCArt

Gradient map and performance
on: January 12, 2022, 10:11:25 AM
I have an ipad pro 12.9 3rd gen, ipadOS 15, have a 3500x3500 132ppi canvas with 47 layers, added 5 gradient maps to color my artwork and the app slowed down to the point any brush lags while drawing, the app feels extremely sluggish and about to crash at any moment, color picking lags behind for like 10 seconds (until the color picking orb stops moving on its own, tracing the stroke i did to select a new color)... oh it also lags a ton while creating the gradients inside the gradient map options. Is it possible to improve the performance of this incredibly useful tool? In the beta the panning and zooming seems to be better, but in the current app... ugh :(

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Gradient map and performance
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 07:17:29 AM
It works ok on my iPad, could you send me your "laggy" document?

LCArt

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 12:56:00 PM
no sorry, cant, is a private commission.

Tried again today's beta (4.0)
I noticed the zoom affects the lag... and for some reason the color picking too, even if its not related to gradients or gradient map... Check the video im adding at the end.

Recording this video i noticed the color picking acts really weird, is more noticeable when im doing the circular motion while its lagging a lot... like why am i seeing reds, blues and other colors that are not green? are you animating the transitions of "color a" to "color b"? it feels as if something is happening when you change from color to color, maybe thats what is causing the lag? If you ask me and other people in the forum, we would prefer if no animation happened at all, i recall some people complaining about this same issue of laggy sliders for color picking.

By the way, could you add a button that directly moves us to the "edit current gradient"?? Maybe instead of the ">" button, add 2 buttons: "edit current" and "pick", at least in gradient maps... editing the current gradient is going to be the most used option since you have to tweak it a lot... is really annoying having to tap 3 times to edit a gradient while you are using gradient maps, 2 of those taps being to tiny hitboxes, and one wrong tap could end up picking the wrong gradient from the list, forcing you to cancel everything and go back to your custom gradient if it wasn't saved there. Also, we cant even save the gradient we made from the gradient selector in the gradient map panel. Hope you consider this :-\

Anyways, here is the video, the drawing is covered by a white layer because its a private commission, below it there is a grayscale drawing, the data of the canvas is at the start of the video, if i can help you with anything else please let me know. And thanks for your hard work

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/709275976638660652/931604523988963359/video0.mov

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 06:27:17 PM
I think i really need the document. Maybe you could overdraw all layers and then send me it?