Author Topic: Can the line drawing mode get pressure sensitivity like auto shapes?  (Read 9357 times)

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
It’s really cool that the new version of auto shapes supports variable pressure sensitivity along the lines. It would be really cool if the line drawing mode got this too. Right now it maxes out the pressure along the line, which is unfortunate. Im not sure how it should work for ellipse and rectangle drawing modes with pressure, but line seems very similar to auto shape in how it should work.

Leonid Deburger

• 2d Artist
    • Artstation
I don't always need the pressure on lines for construction etc.
You always can use Autoshapes for pressure-sensitive straight lines. And line-mode for heavy-pressure lines. I think this is how it should be. It's nice to have both I'd say.
Apple iPad Pro 12.9 (4th gen)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
In Line/Rectangle/Ellipse mode you cannot see the stroke being drawn, so making it dynamics doesn't make sense.

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio

Ok, it’s clear that I need to explain my reasoning here better.
In response to Leonid who said “ You always can use Autoshapes for pressure-sensitive straight lines. And line-mode for heavy pressure lines.”:

Using auto shape to make lines and using line mode to make lines is fundamentally different. One is slow, one is fast. Auto shape requires you to long-hold after every line. Line mode lets you draw lines extremely fast, which allows hatching. So no, they are not interchangeable. Also- if you like the current behavior of line mode drawing 100% pressure lines- Adding pressure sensitivity to line mode would not stop you from using it that way. Just turn off pressure sensitivity in the brush- the same way you would if you wanted to make thick lines with auto shapes.

In response to Lucky Clan- who said “you cannot see the stroke being drawn, so making it dynamics doesn’t makes sense.”:

My response to this is that it should live preview the stroke as you draw it in line mode! The fact that it doesn’t is a weakness of the existing implementation that should be improved. It’s especially apparent when you use a thick brush and cannot tell how big your mark will be. Also- you currently have pressure dynamics for auto shape, which does not currently have live preview. How is it any different if line mode had pressure dynamics without live preview? It’s the same. Obviously, if line mode had pressure dynamics it would be much better with live preview, just like auto shape would be. And you recently mentioned in another thread that live preview is a planned feature coming to auto shapes. So you must see the logic of this request- Please, also add live preview for line mode, and add pressure dynamics to it as well, just like auto shape. It would be ideal if all the drawing modes had live preview for consistency and for a better WYSIWYG design (what you see is what you get) like the rest of the app. Currently, it’s weird that auto shape gets pressure dynamics and line mode doesn’t, since I now expect line mode to work similarly, as it is simply another mode. Freehand mode has live preview and pressure dynamics, auto shape is getting both, why not the rest, especially line mode which is an intuitive fit for both as well? The inconsistency seems like a bug.

I’m not sure you guys are considering all the ways that the line mode can be used. It’s true that you can use line mode to methodically, slowly draw straight, accurate lines one at a time. But I also use it all the time for fast hatching- quick series of short, straight lines to do shading. It’s actually an incredible feature that is very rare to see in other art apps, and something I cherish in art studio pro. I’m attaching a simple, short demo video of what I’m talking about here. I hope its clear from the video- doing this sort of hatching would be slow and tedious with auto shape to the point where you just wouldn’t do it, and it would be better with pressure dynamics. Linear hatching is a very valid and powerful use case of line mode, that is also a unique selling point for Art Studio Pro!

Auto shape and line mode are good for different things: they are different tools. They both deserve to be fully featured. You cannot use auto shape to draw many strokes rapidly. Line mode lets you do that. The linear hatching use case of line mode would greatly benefit from pressure dynamics, just like auto shape already has. And adding that would not stop you from using line mode as it is used now, for other use cases. It would make things more consistent across line and auto shape mode, and be more WYSIWYG. These are all good things without any losses. Line mode deserves full functionality, please reconsider your response to this request!

I hope I have clarified my case here with the reasoning described above. Please add pressure dynamics to line mode, and please add live preview to line mode and auto shape mode (and ideally, all the drawing modes!) Thank you!
Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 04:48:33 AM by mattnava

lastaccess

Can you show the final piece with straight line hatching? I'm just curious. Never used line tool for hatching.

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
I’d love to share but unfortunately I don’t have any pieces with it that aren’t under NDA right now. However, I found a nice example online. In this piece you can see the hatching technique with straight lines, and you can also see that there is variability in the line weight across strokes (especially in that cheek area under the eye on the right side of the image). I think this piece was done with an actual pen, but I’d love to be able to do this technique in Art Studio Pro, with pressure dynamics added to line mode.

There are many styles, you can find a lot of examples by searching for cross hatching. In my work, I love to use straight lines when hatching.

Btw, I saw that live preview for auto shape came into the beta! Very cool. It seems a bit laggy in this iteration, at least on my iPad Pro 2018. But very promising! Hope it gets super snappy in upcoming iterations!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e9/6b/e3/e96be3803ef7a82c0a78329079fdc6d6.jpg
Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 03:13:59 PM by mattnava

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
One more example with very obvious pressure dynamics, this time rendered with a pencil. You can see how important the dynamics are. A bit low res unfortunately. By an artist named Sal Navarro.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Ok, it makes sense, and the paintings are great!
I will consider improving that asap. However it makes sense only in "Line" mode. In other modes (Rectangle, Ellipse, Polygon) you draw only a start/end points, so pressure values for each edge is unknown.
Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 03:46:14 PM by Lucky Clan

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
That’s great! Thank you so much!

Leonid Deburger

• 2d Artist
    • Artstation
Is there any way to control auto shape creation delay?
Lower delay can make hatching with auto shape possible. Anyway for my preferences delay in the default state is too low, I'd love to have the ability to fine-tune this parameter but can’t find it anywhere.
Apple iPad Pro 12.9 (4th gen)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
I rather don't plan to adjust the delay, I'm using standard value used in iOS Notes, and some other apps.

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Wait I always thought “long press delay” in settings is what determines the autoshape delay. But if that’s not the case, then what does this setting do instead? 😅

Also +1 for option to choose auto shape delay
Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 10:14:41 PM by icezimy

ggermain1

I’m also wondering what the “long press delay” setting does as well.

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Long press delay in the settings is for popping up the eyedropper. It’s a bit confusing because the word eyedropper is not mentioned in the setting name, but that’s what it is. There’s one in the Gestures section of the prefs that applies to when you use your finger, and another in the Apple Pencil/Third Party Stylus section that just applies when you long hold with a stylus. Setting them to 0 disables the eyedropper long hold shortcut for either stylus or finger respectively. It’s nice that this lets you turn it off for one but not the other!

They are in subsections called “Finger” and “ long press”, it might be more clear if those subsections were simply called “Eyedropper Gesture” in both places. Or maybe “Finger Eyedropper Gesture” and “Stylus Eyedropper Gesture.”

The related setting that I don’t know the meaning of is the “ touch radius” toggle that’s also in the finger subsection. Anyone know?

Procreate lets you set the delay time for their autoshape so I see how this could be a setting many users will expect to have. Probably reason enough to add it somewhere in my opinion. If Autoshape does get it’s own delay time setting, I think it’s important that it be separate from the existing delay time settings for the Eyedropper. My reason is that I like to set the pencil Eyedropper delay to zero to disable it, and I wouldn’t want doing that to disable autoshape too.

It would be so nice to get an official manual pdf for the app! I know the devs are very busy making great and important new features but a real good manual would go a long way in making the app more accessible and increasing the user base, I think. Small things like the meaning of these settings people are talking about here would become a non-issue with it. The manual feels like one of the last remaining big missing features of the app, in my view. I hope you guys can prioritize it at some point!
Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 02:12:02 AM by mattnava

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Wow thanks so much for the explanation, that's actually really good to know!

Agree, calling it "eyedropper gesture/delay" or something similar would make more sense, and if they decide to add autoshape delay it should be seperrate to that setting.

Unfortunately idk for what touch radius could be either.

And true a manual could help many new people! The app is really sooo amazing but I think many are confused by all the options especially if they come from procreate and didn't use photoshop, and then they look for a manual that doesn't exist yet.

Thanks again! :)