Author Topic: Toolbar got bigger  (Read 6145 times)

Ben

Toolbar got bigger
on: September 23, 2021, 03:06:59 AM
I just noticed That iOS 15 made you add the 3 dots at the top which increases the size of the toolbar significantly and looks off now. I don’t like that, is Apple forcing you to keep the 3 dots at the top? If not I want to suggest a setting that turns it off to get the more compact toolbar back  ;)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Toolbar got bigger
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 04:29:17 AM
Unfortunately we cannot remove "...". The only option to remove it is to drop support of Split View...
It must stay there until we find a better solution...

lastaccess

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 05:00:00 AM
Maybe smth like that

lastaccess

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:15:28 AM
And actually I can’t understand designers of Apple. Nobody will use these 3 dots. It’s much easier to multitask from bottom apps bar. The only reason in these 3 dots is to show non technical users that iPad has multitasking.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 06:26:34 AM
Starting Split View from the bottom is a bit complex. Three dots icon is ok, but there should be an option to hide it because many users (maybe most) just never use Split View...

Ben

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 07:52:00 AM
I was afraid Apple is forcing the dots, i can’t think of a good solution at the moment

Andreas Raninger

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 11:48:12 AM
Let's scrap the GUI and run everything with keyboard shortcuts alone. Would at least make the Procreate people shut up about minimalistic GUI design.  ;)

LCArt

Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 02:18:05 PM
Maybe something like Amadine app (vector) do?

Just adding the file, edit, image, adjust, etc inside the [...] button at the top left; the most used tools could go to the sidebar and the brushes, colors and layers remain on the top right like amadine does

SumoNeko

Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 12:50:16 AM
I personally dont think adding the tools to the side again would be a good option at all.

Maybe something like lastaccess showed, essentially embedding the 3 dots into the UI would make the most sense, if possible.

Also hopefully Apple will allow for the 3 dots to be turned off in the future, it should be an accessibility feature for people who want it or need, and not be forced on everyone.

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 02:52:43 AM
The 3 dots doesn’t bother me as much as the floating line on the bottom edge to signify you can slide up to go to the Home Screen… It’s a bummer about the dots talking up more space but I don’t think there’s really a more elegant solution than what Lucky Clan has done with it.

Andreas Raninger

Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 02:59:55 AM
I've been running the iPadOs 15 beta before the offical 15 was launched and the dots has never been a big thing for me. It's easy to drop into full screen mode and back if you need the extra space.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 06:15:16 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions. As we don't plan to make big UI changes in a near future, current solution will stay for some time.

ledyba

Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 10:52:37 PM
I am tapping 3 dots instead of top bar's shortcuts by mistake many times (^^;

So I feel this is a big usability issue.

I think disabling split view is acceptable, because some photo editing Apps such as Affinity Photo disable it.
Also, there is "Reference Panel" in ArtStudio Pro, so we don't have to use split view to refer other images.
Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 05:44:20 AM by Kaede Fujisaki

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 10:23:51 AM
I think it’s only annoying if you were used to how it was before. But even then, after a few days you get used to it too. So I don’t think it’s a big issue after all and for now probably best solution the way it is currently. :)

But true, most people probably use Artstudio Pro in full screen most of the time. If I need second window I usually use the “floating” one that you can use in full screen apps too. But maybe some people still need split screen, I don’t know 🤷‍♀️ It’s hard to please everyone

lastaccess

Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 02:34:29 PM
I just put under these 3 dots two shortcuts that I don’t use. Other way it’s too many accidental touches of these f***g multitask dots)