Author Topic: Still no layer estimator based on DPI per inch and canvas dimensions.  (Read 2904 times)

Dorothyfan1

I still have to estimate the number of layers based on canvas sizes in Procreate because at least in that app I can clearly see how many layers I’ll get. I punch in the dpi per inch and canvas size and I instantly see the number of layers I can work with. In ASP…no such luck. The information menu just gives a grab bag of info on the document without telling me what I need to know…the exact number of layers I can use in the app based on dpi and canvas size. This needs to be addressed.

lastaccess

ASP has no limit in numbers of layers. It’s kind of advantage comparing to Procreate.

Dorothyfan1

ASP has no limit in numbers of layers. It’s kind of advantage comparing to Procreate.

I don’t believe in flying unicorns. Sorry but I don’t believe this. If this was true people would be flocking to ASP. Assuming they know about this unlimited layer ability of ASP as per this claim. But this flies in the face of reality otherwise why would Procreate developers make a program that deliberately limits the number of layers based on DPI for? Especially if as you claim there are no limits in ASP. I believe this might be true for Concepts, which is a vector app and therefore mathematically calculated corners and image creation can justify possible unlimited layers. But we’re talking about raster based images which are based on pixels.

If ASP can really offer unlimited layers per image then why aren’t people shouting this from the skies and letting people see the difference? Procreate would wither if everyone could “see the light” and know about the “unlimited number of layers” that ASP offers and not needing to worry about DPI per inch. But I doubt this claim about ASP…and I’ve yet to see an explanation as to how this can possibly be true. Borodante is the biggest supporter of ASP on Youtube and his suggestions for improving the app have been taken seriously by the developers and have been implemented.

Borodante as far as I can tell HAS NEVER CLAIMED ASP has unlimited layers. Ever. If I heard this claim by Borodante on Youtube then I’d take this claim about unlimited layers seriously. He has never said this on camera. Ever. Show me when he said this on Youtube. I’d love to watch that video on Youtube where he says this. What’s interesting about this is that Lucky Clan DOES say ASP supports unlimited layers…but I’ve never seen Borodante say this on air. Why doesn’t he say this? He’s the best rep for ASP period and I’ve never seen him say this on video. Even in his comparison between ASP and Procreate I’ve never seen him mention the unlimited layer claim for ASP. If ASP indeed has unlimited layers, this would be the number one difference between ASP and Procreate and Borodante would have mentioned this on air in that comparison video on Youtube. He doesn’t say this. How could Borodante have passed up the chance to rub salt into Procreate’s face and not mention ASP has unlimited layers?
Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:43:01 PM by Dorothyfan1

lastaccess

You can check it yourself. Procreate allows 18 layers on 4000x6000 300 dpi canvas. I made 50 layers in ASP on that resolution. After 42 layers app became slow, because memory is out and swap is used massively, but you still can use the app if needed. Of course it’s better to keep less layers while ipad free ram is pretty low.

P.S.

Borodante is just an artist as every other artist.

Dorothyfan1

You can check it yourself. Procreate allows 18 layers on 4000x6000 300 dpi canvas. I made 50 layers in ASP on that resolution. After 42 layers app became slow, because memory is out and swap is used massively, but you still can use the app if needed. Of course it’s better to keep less layers while ipad free ram is pretty low.

P.S.

I still think having the ability to calculate the number of layers a canvas can take WITHOUT excessive memory swapping would be a useful feature. And this even if ASP offers more legroom in terms of layer support. I’d still have to use Procreate to estimate the layer limit based on canvas and DPI size before using ASP simply because I can’t do such a calulation in ASP.

lastaccess

That's a pretty useless thing, apps have different architecture and work with memory in a different ways. You can rearrange your layers in ASP if you see performance drop. If you need detailed information, go to Artstudio -> Send Feedback. There is information about number of layers, free memory and swap.

Bbolger

P.S.

I still think having the ability to calculate the number of layers a canvas can take WITHOUT excessive memory swapping would be a useful feature. And this even if ASP offers more legroom in terms of layer support. I’d still have to use Procreate to estimate the layer limit based on canvas and DPI size before using ASP simply because I can’t do such a calulation in ASP.

In fact, that’s one of the reasons I use ASP… I don’t see how you’d need to do that cumbersome process of calculating how much layers the app will let you have when in ASP you don’t have (such a restrictive) limit (as in Procreate). My iPad pro 2018 handles 150+ layers on an A3 300 dpi document just fine (in Procreate that’d be around 24? I believe…). I might see performance drop if I really push it, but I don’t care that much cause if it’s still responsive enough, I can still work and the app (usually) won’t crash.

On a second note, I don’t think a layer estimator would work very well on ASP because in my experience the app handles layers differently. If layers are almost empty (eg.: just the head of a character on one layer, less than 5% of the document size), it doesn’t seem to count as a full layer (like in Procreate).

Ben

On a second note, I don’t think a layer estimator would work very well on ASP because in my experience the app handles layers differently. If layers are almost empty (eg.: just the head of a character on one layer, less than 5% of the document size), it doesn’t seem to count as a full layer (like in Procreate).

…and on top of that it makes a difference when content exists outside of the canvas, if the layer is using certain blending modes, layer masks, adjustment layers, layer effects etc... It’s impossible to accurately estimate the number of layers with all these different variables, even for procreate.