Author Topic: Multi instance support.  (Read 1885 times)

Dorothyfan1

Multi instance support.
on: July 10, 2021, 09:30:03 PM
C’mon Lucky Clan…do it. Let ASP get the ability to open side by side on the iPad. Just one more way you’d be ahead of Procreate. Borodante would get to do another happy dance and that’s good, right?

LCArt

Re: Multi instance support.
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 05:05:53 PM
honest question, what's the benefit of multiple instances? i don't really see any >.<

Dorothyfan1

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 06:45:39 PM
honest question, what's the benefit of multiple instances? i don't really see any >.<

You can work on the same artwork using different colors for example. Each one is separate and can be saved in separate files. If ASP had the ability to open side by side…you wouldn’t have to work on the same file separately after another to achieve this…but would be working on the same file simultaneously.

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 09:51:08 PM

It seems to me it would be akin to having two images open in photoshop. If you could copy layers across from one image to the other, it would be very powerful.

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 10:17:49 PM
Opening two images side by side within one instance of the app (with a splitter in the middle) might actually be a better way to have two images open at once though. That way, you wouldn't need 2 instances of all the panels/toolbar/menu, which would save you twice the screenspace. You would have one layer panel that would switch which image's layers its showing when you switch focus to each image. The selected brush and color would remain the same. This would be exactly how it works when you have more than one image open in photoshop.
It would also probably be more discoverable than opening multiple instances of the app, since not many apps support that and not many people are aware of the feature. And, probably easier to maintain in terms of development, since apple is probably going to keep tweaking how opening multiple instances of apps works behind the scenes. It would also avoid the question of what happens if you open the same image in both app instances and try to save one- which would invalidate the other. If they were both in the same app instance, it could gray out any image that is already open when you try to open a second one, disallowing it to be opened again and therefore avoiding the issue.

Art Studio Pro already can have multiple images loaded- this would be a real cool extension of that feature.
Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 10:28:10 PM by mattnava