Author Topic: Bug: Odd lasso/lasso fill behavior with small smoothing values  (Read 397 times)

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Lasso fill now has a smoothing feature which seems to be acting strangely with low values. I noticed that it defaults to a smoothing value of 10 which applies subtle rounding to corners. I wanted to disable smoothing since I wanted full control and sharp shapes. So I set it to 0/disabled. However when smoothing is set to zero, the preview line doesn’t draw. So you cannot see the shape you are drawing. With a value of 1, the preview line does draw, but it does not align with the pencil. It is much smaller. When you let go, the actually drawn shape is correct, but it is impractical to use in this state since you cannot see what you are doing accurately. It seems that the preview line approaches aligning correctly as you increase the smoothing value, but doesn’t really until you hit a value around 5.

This bug exists for both the selection lasso and lasso fill.
Side note- I think that it would be better to default the smoothing to 0/disabled since I think that is what users will expect by default. For both lasso and lasso fill.

Thanks for taking a look at this!

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Hi, it looks like you have addressed this issue in a recent update, thank you so much! However, I noticed that there is still what appears to be a minor amount of smoothing that occurs on the lasso/lasso fill tools, even when smoothing is set to 0/disabled. When you make a shape and let go quickly, the final corner of the shape where you let go gets rounded. I have attached an image that shows the kind of sharp corner I expect to get with the pre-visualization line, compared with the rounded shape I actually end up getting. This unwanted rounding only happens when you let go quickly- if you hold for a second, the corner comes out nice and sharp. But letting go quickly that is something that I do very commonly, so I get a bad shape pretty frequently.

Thanks for taking care of the other issues with the lasso tools, I hope you can get to this detail as well. It seems like a minor bug, but it actually has a pretty significant impact on my experience with the tools. It affects the lasso fill tool as well as the lasso selection tool. Thank you very much for your help with this one!