Author Topic: Feature request: Quick Shapes  (Read 5411 times)

Ben

Feature request: Quick Shapes
on: July 19, 2020, 11:04:06 AM
The shape tools that are currently in Artstudio pro are really bad:

Placement: They are hidden behind a menu that you can only access in the main interface ( and not in Fullscreen and the other Interface mode), it takes too many clicks to activate the shape and you have to repeat all the steps to turn it off again.

Functions: You can not just draw a shape precisely, you have to activate the drawing mode, make a new layer, draw the shape, deactivate the drawing mode, Go to transform, put the shape into position and scale it precisely, merge the layers and erase the lines a bit because the shape tool does not use pressure sensitivity. This takes too long and it’s very inefficient just to get a clean shape, because the shape can not be transformed after drawing it without affecting everything else on the layer.

Solution: The quick shape tool in infinite painter is fantastic (much better than procreate), I was able to do these clean sketches ( picture attached at the bottom) In just a few minutes by using the quick shapes. Doing the same in Artstudio takes muuuuuuch longer and does not look as good.

However, infinite painters quick shape tool is not perfect, I am sure you can make it even better.

Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 04:28:39 AM by Ben

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Feature request: Quick Shapes
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:37:45 AM
Quick Shape is planned for version 3.1.

You can have a bit faster access to ellipse/rectagnle in Artstudio - just add it to Quick Menu or Shortcut.

Why do you think Infinite solution is better than procreate?

Ben

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 01:01:19 PM
Infinite painter shows the major and minor axis of ellipses when editing the shape and puts the handles for adjusting the ellipse exactly on those axis as well as in the middle, that way you can place and transform the ellipse accurately. Improvement: The shape tool shows the mid point and both axis of the ellipse, but it disappears after the shape is finished, sometimes though it is necessary to draw these things for further construction, so an option to toggle that on or off to keep it after the shape is finished would save time.

All The shapes can be duplicated with just a tap on the clone icon and The new shape can be adjusted immediately afterwards. Improvement: after duplicating the shape you usually want to move it, infinite painter does not use snapping horizontally or vertically, but that would be very useful, for example when drawing a vertical cylinder, where you draw a circle, clone it and move it Up or down along the vertical mid point.

While the ellipse tool snaps to a perfect circle, the rectangle tool does not snap to a perfect square and does not show dividing lines like the ellipse tool, that its missing in infinite painter. Also missing (procreate has some of it) is the option to change the type of shape for the times where the tool does not recognize the shape correctly, like turning into an arc (half of a sphere) when you tried to draw a curve with multiple points.

What’s great about the curve is that you can add and remove more points as needed And also make the points Shape or curved by tapping on them. Works like a vector pen tool.

When using the shape tools together with perspective guide, they also snap to the perspective grid. This is super helpful. I am sure I forgot a few good functions, you should just play with them in infinite painter for a few minutes and get inspiration for how to implement something like that  ;)
Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:03:30 PM by Ben

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 04:07:27 AM
Thanks for explanations. I didn't know about shape editing after tapping it in Infinite, there should be some info popup about it.
Shape editing in Infinite makes it a simple vector app!
Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 04:09:25 AM by Lucky Clan

kouza

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 12:59:50 PM
Good news :) the similar quick shape that procreating have will be great, I use both apps but I prefer Artstudio, but I work with the quick shape a lot, it's a fantastic tool, when 3.1 comes out?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 05:01:46 PM
First half of 2021. I don't have more precise date yet. We were fixing bugs for weeks after 3.0 release. We started some 3.1 stuff not long ago...

ahtiandr

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 05:59:24 AM
First half of 2021. I don't have more precise date yet. We were fixing bugs for weeks after 3.0 release. We started some 3.1 stuff not long ago...

Now when there is 3.2 release with quick shapes, will there be an option to edit the shape while drawing like in procreate ?

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 07:48:32 PM
When quickshapes go into Art Studio Pro, I do hope that the functionality of the current drawing modes does not get replaced/removed. A major issue I had with Infinite Painter's quickshapes was that after every line it automatically puts you in an edit mode and you can't draw until you exit. Before they added the post-edit mode, you could use the "line" drawing mode to do fast, linear hatching and sketching. That became impossible with their implementation of quickshapes, which forces you to tap to confirm each and every line, which slows you down. This was a showstopper issue for me with that app. I asked the dev if it would be possible to add an option to disable auto entering the edit mode, but they didn't see the value of being able to draw naturally/quickly with the tool.

For drawing and sketching, the current implementation of drawing modes in Art Studio Pro is very fast and direct, and I use it all the time for linear hatching an sketching. I see the value of quickshapes for some workflows, but I hope that the things that are great about the current drawing modes implementation are not forgotten/replaced-- like what happened in infinite painter.
Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:50:27 PM by mattnava

LCArt

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 02:54:58 PM
any news about quick shapes? :(