Author Topic: Art Studio would be perfect, if it had slightly less jarring smoothing!  (Read 5455 times)

renkel76

So far I haven’t found anything beyond some minor annoyances to be wrong with Art Studio. However, a big part of my artwork draws upon getting nice line work. While I am so happy that this program even has smoothing, the feature itself seems to almost work against the Apple pen itself. It almost feels like level 1 should be less jarring smoothing and that there could be 3-5 levels before it.

It’s a great app, but it’s hard to produce clean work with smooth lines. Would be a great benefit to the program and I will definitely be replacing Photoshop with!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Please give me more details and i will try to improve this.

renkel76

Please give me more details and i will try to improve this.

So it terms of the smoothing, it seems like level 1 is very harsh, as it causes the lines made with the brush tool to lag and smoothen very quickly. If the smoothing rate was lessened and bit so that it would still be able to allow better control of the brush.

In ProCreate, they seem to have a smoothing system that allows you to directly control the smoothing from 0 (which analyzes all the bumps that your pen makes) to 100 (which essentially lags the tablet pen so that it creates a severely smoothed out result). The same is sort of true for Adobe's Illustrator program too.

But with Art Studio, it feels like level 1 is somewhere in the middle when it comes to this sort of smoothing, rather than having something closer to just normal unsmoothed pen lines with slight evidence of streamlining.

In other words, it feels like 1 has much too powerful smoothing for being the first level and could be toned down a bit so that there is slightly less distinction between the feature being turned off and the actual smoothing.

If that makes sense!
I apologize if I didn't put enough detail... it's hard for me to explain since I don't know proper programming jargon.

renkel76

Also, it feels like the smoothing makes the brush go slower and almost even behind the tablet pen instead of under it. Even when kept still or in one spot, so it isn't lag. It makes it feel really awkward and inconsistent. With a level before what is currently level 1's smoothing strength and a look at the buggy feel of the smoothing working against the tablet's pen by following under the pen instead of half an inch behind it, I think it's definitely a fantastic program!

Nighternet

Smoothing like this doesn't do much - you don't know where your brush is going. Things like this have been done before. It's called "lazy brush" in Zbrush. You can see the smooth trail when you move the brush before the color is applied, and you can trace it back, if it's wrong.  Second, the smoothness numbers hardly very informative either. Especially, when going over 4-5 slows the brushing to the crawl. This is probably very hard to implement, especially on iOS. Another solution is, probably, even harder - introduce vector lines. This way "brushing along the line" can be done.

Drone

Also, it feels like the smoothing makes the brush go slower and almost even behind the tablet pen instead of under it. Even when kept still or in one spot, so it isn't lag. It makes it feel really awkward and inconsistent. With a level before what is currently level 1's smoothing strength and a look at the buggy feel of the smoothing working against the tablet's pen by following under the pen instead of half an inch behind it, I think it's definitely a fantastic program!

Yeah, I confirm that all, maybe need more level for smooth like from 0 to 50 perhaps.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Thanks for suggestions, we will increase smoothing steps in the next version.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Update with Smoothing value increased from 0..10 to 0..100 is available (1.0.10)

Drone

Update with Smoothing value increased from 0..10 to 0..100 is available (1.0.10)

Thx!

renkel76

Soo sooo soo soooooo much better!
Pure perfection, this app is!
Thank you!
Appreciate all the hard work put into this!