Author Topic: "Lasso Fill" tool  (Read 19067 times)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: "Lasso Fill" tool
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 08:57:05 AM
Yes, it has to wait a bit more, sorry...
It is not standard tool, i'm still not sure how to implement it (as a separate tool or special mode in Lasso select tool, and additional drawing mode in Paint tool).

lastaccess

Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 10:18:29 AM
New mode isn’t necessary, imho. Less tools -> cleaner interface. Just add on left bar under 3 dots option panel in all selection tools “Fill” element off|on. When On, in any closing selection (lasso, poligon, rect, circle) it will be immediately filled with current color.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 01:16:46 PM
Yes, i agree, i think it will be the most simple solution.

New mode isn’t necessary, imho. Less tools -> cleaner interface. Just add on left bar under 3 dots option panel in all selection tools “Fill” element off|on. When On, in any closing selection (lasso, poligon, rect, circle) it will be immediately filled with current color.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 11:18:21 AM
We added Fill mode to each select tool, so you can do Lasso Fill. It is available in the most recent beta (build 629). Waiting for your feedback...

lastaccess

Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 12:06:05 PM
Lasso fill works well. Very useful thing.

And also thanks for visualizing erase blending on top panel. Now this tool works in most convenient way, totally replaced regular eraser for me.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 12:16:39 PM
:)
Thanks for the feedback

Lasso fill works well. Very useful thing.

And also thanks for visualizing erase blending on top panel. Now this tool works in most convenient way, totally replaced regular eraser for me.

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 02:29:12 PM
Hi, I just tried out the new lasso fill implementation, thank you so much for putting it in! My main point of feedback is that you cannot use it as an eraser, only to fill color. It would be nice to have fill and erase modes. To take it further, it would be neat to support pattern fills. But that seems a bit much for a sub feature of selection tools.

Making it another mode of the lasso tool is interesting- I didn’t think of doing it that way but it makes a lot of sense. You get all the benefits of the lasso tool. I really like it with the auto close turned on because its really fast.

However, there are some problems with it being a part of the lasso tool. The first is simple- using the lasso as a fill will clear any selections that exist. So you can’t take advantage of selections to mask your fills.

The second issue with it being a part of the selection tools is related to rapid tool switching, especially with hot keys. I use hot keys to quickly switch to the normal lasso tool to make selections. You cannot quickly switch between the lasso selection tool/lasso fill tool, because it requires digging into tool options. Instead you have to switch modes, and open the tool options to turn on auto complete, which is slow.

I tried using “favorites” to overcome this, assigning the selection lasso to favorite 1 and fill lasso to favorite 2. This skips needing to dig into the options each time you switch, which is great. However, there is still an issue. I like to assign the same hot key to several tools to cycle through them (I love that feature)- hotkeys for favorites does not support being in a multiple tool hotkey cycle. This forces me use separate hotkeys for the selection tools, instead of having 1 hotkey that cycles through them, because they now all have to be accessed via “favorites” to preserve the settings that make them a selection tool. (Specifically, I like to cycle between selection lasso and the move tool on a single hotkey, to quickly select and move things around.)

A couple proposed solutions-
-Move lasso fill option to be a “drawing mode” entry, next to freehand, line, etc, in brush and eraser tools- This would eliminate the contention with selections, and would support fill and erase by simply setting this on the brush or eraser tools. You could easily cycle between freehand and lasso fill drawing modes with hotkeys(those modes support hotkey cycling!). Setting it this way could simply ignore the brush’s stamp settings and instead fill solid shapes. You could even use the brush’s texture pattern to support a pattern filling mode, if its enabled. One issue with this would be that there’s no simple place for the auto-close option for the lasso (which I think is real important!)
-Make hotkeys for favorites support being in multi-tool hotkey cycles- If you keep the functionality as a part of the selection tools, you can alleviate the issues with hotkeys/rapid switching by making hotkeys for favorites act like normal tool hotkeys, and allow them to be a part of a multi tool cycle when they are assigned the same hotkey as another tool. This one should likely be done regardless!
-Consider making this its own tool, with its own options- The lasso tool is starting to feel like a simple “shape tool,” especially using it with the ellipse or rectangle selection modes. (Using it with the magic wand is like the fill tool!) If this tool became its own “shape fill” tool, it could have its own options, and own hotkey. One potential issue with this approach would be rapidly switching between fill and erase modes with it, since those might be options for the tool, and might again only be accessible for hotkey switching via “favorites.”

Again, thank you so much for implementing this tool. I hope you are able to address some of these issues, and I hope that my feedback/suggestions provide some help!

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 03:27:34 PM
Yes, it has to wait a bit more, sorry...
It is not standard tool, i'm still not sure how to implement it (as a separate tool or special mode in Lasso select tool, and additional drawing mode in Paint tool).

I see here that you were considering an option in the lasso tool for fill as well as a lasso fill drawing mode. Sorry I missed that detail! It is true that they could both exist, which could cover more people's use cases. I like that idea a lot!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #23 on: March 25, 2021, 03:34:04 PM
Mattnava - thanks for your feedback.

Im still not sure about current implementation.
One more idea is to add lasso option to Bucket Full and Pattern Bucket Fill tool, how about that?
They both support blending modes, including Erase blending. It could be used with selections.

ggermain1

Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 04:14:00 PM
Is there a way to implement the lasso tool so that it can also have smoothing?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 05:17:49 PM
Yes, few users already suggested to add smoothing to lasso tool. We will do it in the future.

Is there a way to implement the lasso tool so that it can also have smoothing?

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 11:52:37 PM
Mattnava - thanks for your feedback.

Im still not sure about current implementation.
One more idea is to add lasso option to Bucket Full and Pattern Bucket Fill tool, how about that?
They both support blending modes, including Erase blending. It could be used with selections.

That is interesting, I had thought about that as well! It does make sense, since it is already a tool with the purpose of filling. It's cool that it would support patterns/blend modes out of the box, and its handy that there's an eraser blend mode. I think the only thing that I might miss would be the ability to get to the eraser/fill versions quickly with a hotkey. I think you would have to dig into the tool options and set the blend mode to erase to switch. However, I could see hacking it- using hotkeys to switch between the bucket fill and the pattern bucket fill tools themselves, and just setting the pattern one to be in erase mode with a pattern that is just solid! that way you could effectively get one to be fill and one to simply be erase, for quick hotkey access.

It would probably be good to add an "auto complete" option in the fill tool settings for this as well, like in the lasso selection tool settings.

It makes me wonder if it would make sense to add something like "drawing modes" to the fill tools, to extend the idea. It could have Bucket, Lasso, Polygonal Lasso, rectangle, ellipse, etc.

Alternatively, making lasso fill a drawing mode option for the brush and eraser tools might be more straightforward for hotkey access, and I think you could get blend modes/maybe patterns. but it seems like it maybe trickier to implement.

Overall, I think putting it in the fill tools would definitely be a better fit than putting it in the selection tools!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #27 on: March 26, 2021, 01:41:06 PM
Please check new, probably the last 3.1 beta. Lasso Fill is finally available in Bucket Fill and Pattern Bucket Fill tools.

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #28 on: March 26, 2021, 02:42:28 PM
Just checked out the new version of lasso fill as a part of the bucket/pattern fill tools. Its really great! It works within selections, makes logical sense as an extension of the fill tool, and can be used to erase. Its great that you can access it via a simple tool shortcut, and set one of them to eraser mode to quickly switch between fill and erase! And you get blend modes and patterns! Thanks so much for iterating on this feature, taking into account the feedback, and squeezing it in to the 3.1 release!

ggermain1

Reply #29 on: March 26, 2021, 03:03:18 PM
The new lasso fill is awesome!! Great job! I have one minor question though. Can you make it possible so that I can double tap the apple pencil and switch to eraser while using the bucket fill lasso tool?