Author Topic: Mirror Tool - Option to always use center of screen as anchor  (Read 2817 times)

alfanders

Hi, right now when you try to mirror the view whether using touch gesture or quick panel, it takes the position of touch and use it as the anchor of the mirror.

Would it be possible to add option to always use the center of the screen as the anchor of the mirror regardless of the touch position?
That'd be lovely, thanks! ✨

LCArt

mirror uses the center of the canvas... if you mean transform -> mirror, it uses the pivot point (that you can move)

alfanders

Thank you so much for your reply! I meant the mirror view, not the transform mirror. Have you tried mirror view using gestures in part of the canvas like double click or triple click? Or maybe four finger touch. ✨

LCArt

not sure whats mirror view :(

alfanders

Ah I'm sorry for not being clear enough!

I put a video to illustrate my point better ✨✨
https://youtu.be/Oa4JoMjEjOc

I wonder whether an option to always use the center of image rather then where you "double tap" to mirror as anchor could be implemented. ✨

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Hi, right now when you try to mirror the view whether using touch gesture or quick panel, it takes the position of touch and use it as the anchor of the mirror.

Would it be possible to add option to always use the center of the screen as the anchor of the mirror regardless of the touch position?
That'd be lovely, thanks! ✨

It does always use the center, if you just double click (or whatever gesture you have set mirror to) outside the canvas instead of on the canvas. And the canvas gets centered quickly via quick pinch, if you have preferences > gestures > quick pinch to reset canvas enabled

When you’re zoomed in, it’s actually a good thing that it anchors where you touch the canvas, and when zoomed out you can use the option I said above. Also attached a screen recording to show what I mean.

So I think the way it works now is good as it is, to quickly access either option to mirror
Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 08:48:59 AM by icezimy

alfanders

Ah yes I do notice that when you double tap outside of the canvas, it uses the center of the screen as anchor.

I do mean as to when you're zoomed in. I'm happy to hear that the workflow of using touched area as anchor works for you personally. I personally prefer it to always use center of the screen as anchor, as I usually uses my left hand to do the gestures. And that means that I'd always use my left side of the screen as an anchor for the mirror.

That is why what I'm asking for is an option that you could toggle in the preferences ✨✨
Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 11:05:14 AM by alfanders

LCArt

i have a shortcut in the top bar for mirroring and disabled the animation, always uses the center of the canvas (and is more reliable than double tap to be honest)

alfanders

Ah me too! I have that as well! ✨

Why I think double tap works for me is because it requires less precision than hitting a small button in a small space up top. With double tap, you could do it wherever it is in the canvas and it really speed up my workflow compared to tapping the button in the upper toolbar ✨

I believe having it as a toggle-able option in preferences menu would be lovely since we'd be able to accommodate more types of workflows without ruining the existing ones ✨✨

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Mirror view uses screen center when you launch it from menu/top toolbar/quick menu/keyboard shortcut.

But when you use a gesture (2 finger tap etc) it will always use tap location.

alfanders

Re: Mirror Tool - Option to always use center of screen as anchor
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 09:49:45 AM
Yes I did observe that. Would it be possible to have an option to always use the center of screen position for the gestures as well? And option in preferences would be lovely ✨

This is how I use my iPad to draw, and I use my left hand to do most gestures (and to hold the iPad steady) so that my right hand could focus on making the strokes. Unfortunately, since I put my mirror gesture on double click, it means that I will always use the left side tap position of the screen for the Mirror gesture and have the current view flipped out of the screen every time I use the mirror, even tho I just wanted to check whether the image I'm currently working on my screen is balanced.

Hopefully, this might give some context as to why I think it'd be lovely to have the option not to use the tap position as an anchor for the mirror ✨
Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:16:37 PM by alfanders

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 08:30:02 AM
Maybe this hint will solve the problem:
If canvas is fully visible on screen, it is mirrored around canvas center (not touch location)

alfanders

Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 01:07:32 PM
Did you mean when the gesture is clicked outside of the canvas? Yes I'm aware of that as well. If the gesture is done inside the canvas however, it will use the touch location regardless of the zoom level.

I mainly use the mirror gesture to check whether my drawing is balanced, and mainly, it's used when you draw faces. This means that mostly, you'd need to be pretty zoomed in (since you're drawing the face), and this also means that the only option (if you're using mirror finger-gesture) is to use the touch position as anchor.

While I could understand that some would find the touch position helpful, my workflow and hand position (on the leftside of the screen) unfortunately forces me to always mirror the current view out of screen.

I believe the toggle-able option would accomodate the ux for my use case as well without having to bother the current existing use cases✨

Thank you for the kind hint! 💖✨