Author Topic: Rotating objects and having multiple vanishing points  (Read 2434 times)

Ben

Rotating objects and having multiple vanishing points
on: February 10, 2022, 05:54:50 AM
I recently found this online tool for making perspective grids that shows the code for how it's done:
https://codepen.io/gibbonjoyeux/pen/zYvZwKL

What is interesting there is the "Angle" slider, which moves the vanishing points along the horizon at the correct distance. This is important when you want to draw objects accurately into the same scene that are not parallel to each other. (Here is an explanation for how the distance of the vanishing points need to change: https://youtu.be/NPy7IoP-dL8?list=PLBUWOBID4m3MTjAEaTHNNWfNkjZegSjzK&t=127) Currently, you can only use one perspective grid with virtually all software, which makes complex scenes either tedious and time consuming to get accurate, or inacurate when you try to guess the new vanishing point of the object that is not parallel to the main perspective grid.

Having the following options would solve that problem conveniently:
1: creating a primary perspective grid - That's what we already have right now in Artstudio
2: adding optional secondary grids that are based on the primary grid = that would require the Angle slider option that I mentioned above, so that the already existing vanishing points are moved along the horizon to rotate an object correctly.
3: a toggle to switch between the grids while drawing

Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 09:09:12 AM by Jack Ofalltrades

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Re: Rotating objects and having multiple vanishing points
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 09:28:54 AM
This would actually be so useful! Would there be a way to do the same thing along the y and z vanishing points (according to the video), or is that then just way too complicated to code?😆

Another implementation I want to mention again,  is the option to create perspective grids/vanishing points based on 2 drawn in lines/paths that are converging. So it would be possible to extract a perspective grid from any image manually. I'm not the best at explaining but there is a tool plug in for Photoshop that does this, it's shown in the first 30secs of the video: https://youtu.be/U_CXSFz-VM4

I'm not sure how exactly it could be implemented into ASP and don't know anything about coding, but something like this would be really useful too

I noticed fresco implemented some kind of AI recently that extracts the perspective completely automatically from an image, but the problem with that is, that not every image gets recognized
Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 09:49:33 AM by icezimy

Ben

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 11:05:58 AM
...Would there be a way to do the same thing along the y and z vanishing points (according to the video), or is that then just way too complicated to code?😆...

The concept would actually be exactly the same, except the horizon is going through the vanishing point vertically (just rotated by 90 degrees), as shown here: https://youtu.be/rkp1xfWJ9n4?t=294

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 04:40:59 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. They are very interesting, i put them down in the very long list of ideas, however I'm afraid we don't have too many users using Perspective Grid feature, so improving it may be not the most important thing users need...

ggermain1

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 11:48:05 AM
This is actually really cool!. I feel like I learned a lot about perspective. It would be really cool to see a feature like this sometime in the future.

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 07:54:48 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. They are very interesting, i put them down in the very long list of ideas, however I'm afraid we don't have too many users using Perspective Grid feature, so improving it may be not the most important thing users need...

It's maybe not be the most important thing for people newly getting into art or drawing casually, but perspective is one of the art fundamentals after all. So I do think there are probably enough pro users that would welcome these features! :)

I've also seen many similar request in different forums from other apps, like procreate. And Fresco implementing the AI thing. That's prove enough that there clearly is an interest for more advanced perspective grid functions, but of course I also understand there are other things that have more priority right now!

Ben

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 03:22:32 AM
One of the main reasons people don’t use the grid function is that they are super basic and limited, there are so many ways to improve it (i posted several times about ideas) and make it very useful. I know many „Pros“ are switching to 3d software to make simple sketches with basic shapes and use that as their perspective grid because the perspective tools in the drawing apps are not good enough to get that job done.