Author Topic: A question regarding creating a new project  (Read 8661 times)

Andych56

A question regarding creating a new project
on: September 29, 2018, 04:29:50 AM
Can anyone tell me if there is an option to create either an 8bit or 16bit file, or convert to either on an image?
What is the default setting on?

Oh and is it possible to pinch zoom down smaller than 48%. Sometimes i like to feel as if I’m standing way back further from the page to check on how the composition and lighting is working.
Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 05:04:40 AM by Andych56

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: A question regarding creating a new project
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 09:16:17 AM
Currently only 8bit mode is supported, sorry.

Zoom out - it is limited so canvas is not too small.

Andych56

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 06:10:06 PM
Thank you for the reply.
I hope in a future version these could be updated?  :)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 06:18:48 PM
Maybe ;)

Andych56

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 07:38:46 PM
Maybe ;)
A ‘maybe’ is better than a no  :)
I guess I’m asking coz those things feel like restrictions.
Your app Artstudio is way more than just a painting app, and for me as a digital matte painter it would be great to work away from my desk at times. As you’re aware working in film and TV we don’t use anything less than 16bit.
I’m sure any photo retoucher would also agree.
I’m still loving your app though!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 12:20:22 PM
The problem is that 16 bit mode used by iPad/iPhone gpu is a bit limited. I mean it is not full 16 bit quality, but rather 12-14 bit (in some cases).
Besides users are not requesting that. This is the first suggestion about 16 bit.

Andych56

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 07:35:17 PM
The problem is that 16 bit mode used by iPad/iPhone gpu is a bit limited. I mean it is not full 16 bit quality, but rather 12-14 bit (in some cases).
Besides users are not requesting that. This is the first suggestion about 16 bit.

Thanks for the info, that’s very interesting regarding the 16bit iPad limitation.
In the past I’ve been importing and exporting 16bit PSD files from Affinity Photo Ipad to Photoshop desktop and they’ve worked successfully. Both apps read them as 16bit to and from each other. Especially If they’re coming from the iPad at 12-14bit they’re still recognised as 16bit in photoshop. I can’t really tell if there is any loss in the image?
Maybe as a suggestion you guys could consider raising it to 12-14bit on the iPad in the future when you release Artstudio with its smooth import/export of full PSD files with adjustment layers, curves etc. And/or for when you build the Windows version of Artstudio?
I’m sure once that’s released your market will grow and more requests will come in for that option.
Sorry if I sound pushy, I really want this to be the best app out there, and stand on Adobe’s head.

Loving the new update by the way!  :D
Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:37:18 PM by Andych56

Andych56

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 12:35:09 AM
I’m finding difficult to export a png with a transparency, is this possible and how?
And importing a png into ASP would I use alpha to selection under the Select menu to select the transparency?
We normally use 16bit tiff/tga with an alpha channel but that’s no good in ASP so I have to use a png to do the job.
Oh the joys of working in 8bit  :'(

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 03:16:51 AM
There is problem with PNG with transparency for large canvas size - iOS just does not support PNG with large size.
In this case use TIFF or PSD.

Andych56

Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 04:03:47 AM
There is problem with PNG with transparency for large canvas size - iOS just does not support PNG with large size.
In this case use TIFF or PSD.
OK PSD is out for the purpose I need it for. There's no options for saving with an alpha as tiff. So if its automatic how do I extract the alpha channel when bringing it back to ASP? Select from alpha doesn't seem to work.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 07:54:42 AM
It seems it can be improved to support any images (both small and large). It will be done in the next minor update.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 08:59:50 AM
Ok, i fixed that. The important thing is that is was problem with opening, not saving.

Images saved in System Photo Library were ok, but i had to change the way of loading them. So if you want to open saved file in other app, some of them will load them correctly (Artstudio Pro, Affinity Photo, Pixelmator, ...), but another will load opaque scaled down version (procreate, Paintstorm).

Andych56

Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 06:12:49 PM
Ok, i fixed that. The important thing is that is was problem with opening, not saving.

Images saved in System Photo Library were ok, but i had to change the way of loading them. So if you want to open saved file in other app, some of them will load them correctly (Artstudio Pro, Affinity Photo, Pixelmator, ...), but another will load opaque scaled down version (procreate, Paintstorm).
Ok great so are you referring to both tiff alpha channels and png transparency or just png trans?

Andych56

Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 08:51:13 PM
Currently only 8bit mode is supported, sorry.

Zoom out - it is limited so canvas is not too small.
I've noticed there were a few requests for a navigator window. Some artist like to use this to check their composition as its only a small viewer on the side panel. I am also one of these people to do that. I'd like to request a simpler option by unlocking the zoom out to scale down another 50%.

Well, many users are requesting something that is always displayed: navigator box, reference photo box, some buttons, color circle any many other :) If I add them all they will cover the whole canvas :)

Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:20:37 AM by Andych56

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 03:47:21 AM

Ok great so are you referring to both tiff alpha channels and png transparency or just png trans?

Yes, tiff/png images stored in Photos will be loaded correctly (with transparency, in original size) in version 2.0.7.