Author Topic: Version 2.0 Beta  (Read 8198 times)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Version 2.0 Beta
on: September 21, 2018, 03:39:47 AM
I have just published Beta version of new release (2.0) to all registered betatesters.
If anybody wants to join to beta tests - send me email to [email protected].
iPad screenshot attached.

Here is current list of changes:

Improved Interface
- new colors in bars/controls and many visual fixes
- added optional HSL/RGB/Lab sliders in the right toolbar (tap View>Colors Toolbar to show it)
- added customizable Quick Menu activated with 4-finger tap, configure it in Artstudio>Preferences>Quick Menu
- added quick pinch gesture to zoom canvas to fit screen
- added Eyedropper icon on iPad fullscreen mode
- Undo/Redo buttons are now placed in bottom left corner in both normal and fullscreen mode
- filter / adjustment control box moved to right corner on iPad, so more canvas is visible

New features
- added Lighting filter allowing to add Point/Spot/Directional light to photos/paintings
- added Depth Of Field filter with Tilt Shift and Ellipse modes

Improvements
- faster and less intrusive autosave
- Elastify (Liquify) is now working with multiple layers/groups
- added option to show original Layer in Elastify
- improved Lasso / Polygon Lasso - added undo/redo and option to not auto-close the selection
- improved palm rejection when using Apple Pencil
- you can now double tap on slider to reset it to default value
- now to start Screen Recording just tap File>Screen Recording>Recording (tap it again to disable and delete video files)
- now when doing drag-and-drop on iPad app asks to open dragged image as a new layer or new document
- added Cmd-L key shortcut to Load Paint in Wet Paint tool
- Select>Blur menu item renamed to Select>Feather

And many other small fixes and improvements…

gregg2g

• Retired
Re: Version 2.0 Beta
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 09:24:16 AM
Wasn't this for Beta 1.4?
iMac 27 3.1 GHz 32 GB DDR 4 Mac OS  Monterey 12.6, XP-Pen 24 Pro, ArtStudioPro latest version

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 09:47:59 AM
I was going to release it as 1.4, but then after making more and more interface changes i decided to name it 2.0.

Nighternet

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 06:45:58 PM
Thanks a lot for elasticity stylus presure, depth of field and new filters! Undo/redo buttons position will take to get used to once again, but it's a good spot. Is there going to be more stuff between now and the official release?

Depth of field - outer oval could be independent and not to change their nervous one.
Quick menu with four fingers? We really need the Alt button...

Husketch

Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 06:42:26 AM
Tested the beta a bit, i think it's great!
Here are some minor remarks:

1-the interface is much better, but the color of text of the menu and the icons seems a bit too bright. maybe reduce the brightness just a little bit, so they don't stand out too much.
2-The canvas background can be dark grey , instead of black (or the super dark gray)
3-Faster animation for the quick menu, it felt a bit choppy
4-quick menu size overall can be a bit smaller
5-Maybe enable/disable clipping mask can be on the same quick menu button, just like lock /unlock transparency ? instead of two separate buttons?
6-I think when dragging on the HSB sliders on the right (great adition!) the top color preview rectangle should be the active color , not the bottom one, hope you will reverse that.

Well that's it for now, will keep testing. big thanks!

Mlindegaard

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 03:15:06 AM
Will participating in the beta version have any influences on your current settings/materials/projects? I mean, will everything be the same after it goes live?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 06:07:55 AM
Beta is like a new version (update), but available only for selected users.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 10:03:50 AM
1 - done in new beta
2 - it was 8% white before, in beta2 it is 10%
3 - it is ok
4 - it is ok
5 - done in new beta
6 - done in new beta

Tested the beta a bit, i think it's great!
Here are some minor remarks:

1-the interface is much better, but the color of text of the menu and the icons seems a bit too bright. maybe reduce the brightness just a little bit, so they don't stand out too much.
2-The canvas background can be dark grey , instead of black (or the super dark gray)
3-Faster animation for the quick menu, it felt a bit choppy
4-quick menu size overall can be a bit smaller
5-Maybe enable/disable clipping mask can be on the same quick menu button, just like lock /unlock transparency ? instead of two separate buttons?
6-I think when dragging on the HSB sliders on the right (great adition!) the top color preview rectangle should be the active color , not the bottom one, hope you will reverse that.

Well that's it for now, will keep testing. big thanks!

Husketch

Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 01:53:50 PM
Thanks! Glad a lot of them are done :)
Will you consider something like double tap with finger (or similar )for calling the quick menu? Currently when drawing with Apple Pencil it's not very quick to turn the pencil around and tap with 4 fingers.
I still think the animation of the quick menu could be just a bit faster
Big thanks !!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 03:55:12 AM
I improved delay when showing Quick Menu. I mean animation speed is the same, but now there is no delay after 4-finger tap. It will be released in new beta.

scp

Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 02:54:18 PM
Thanks! Glad a lot of them are done :)
Will you consider something like double tap with finger (or similar )for calling the quick menu? Currently when drawing with Apple Pencil it's not very quick to turn the pencil around and tap with 4 fingers.
I still think the animation of the quick menu could be just a bit faster
Big thanks !!

I agree having 4 finger tap is awkward,I would prefer double tap with pencil or a icon .

I was having issues with my layers swapping content,not showing correctly when hiding and unhiding.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 02:57:41 PM
Problem with layers content - do you remember if it happened when Wet Paint or Smudge tool was active?

Andych56

Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 07:46:10 PM
I’m loving the new interface. The colour controls on the right is a brilliant idea. Looking forward to the update!

RHiNO

Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 03:54:51 AM
Artstudio pro 1.4 (178) beta feedback

Some suggestions:

Allow us to use one finger swipes to open the quick menu. Using 4 finger to open it conflicts with the 4 finger gesture to multitask in ios 12 (the gesture to switch to another app or see all apps opened). One finger swipe up can open the quick menu and instantly activate the top quick menu button, one finger swipe right can open the quick menu and instantly activate the right quick menu button. Basically, like the quick menu in procreate, it's faster than "open the quick menu and click a button"

Allow us to put tools on the quick menu (like the pencil tool, eraser, brush) so we can switch tools super quickly (between pencil and eraser and back as an example). It's faster than "look at the toolbar, find the icon, and click", we can do a swipe with another hand and change tools while still looking at the drawing

Allow us to put brushes on any slot in the quick menu so we can access our most used brushes super quick, faster than "click on favorites, look for the brush and click it". One single swipe and done

Allow us to customize the "fullscreen interface", with icons for save, return to gallery, etc. There will be nice if we can choose to space out and group our icons in the fullscreen interface, putting "space separators" in the top toolbar too

Give us an option to show the color bar while we work in fullscreen

Remember the fullscreen state if we return to gallery and back to a drawing afterwards. If we can customize fully the "fullscreen interface" one artist will see all the tools he need and zero of the tools he never use (or doesn't use very often), Let the fullscreen interface be "our" plastic interface while the regular, non fullscreen, be the "default, full interface"

If you implement a "one finger swipe quick menu", a "four finger tap" can be a fast way to switch to the fullscreen interface and exit the fullscreen interface

Give us an option to remove the icon for "finger and pencil" in preferences, some drawings are always made with the apple pencil and there is no use for this icon in some projects, even worse, it's close to the layer icon, an important icon used more frequently

Give us an option to remove the "undo" and "redo" icons - If we are using the "two finger undo" and the "three finger redo" these icons are redundant on the screen

The zoom and rotate looks choppy because of the constant snap to 100% size and 0 degrees. Make the snap happen *after* we are no longer touching the screen, with a smootly animation,  snaping if we land very near 0 degrees as an example (like procreate do). This will make the canvas movement more suave and without hiccups

About layers, I guess we need a "automatic special background color layer" so we don't need to always create that "white+transparent" background that actually creates 2 layers, one beeing fully white to serve as a background to hide the checkerboard. I guess a "special" bottom layer (like the one in procreate) can solve this better and allow us to change the background color faster without the need to color fill the layer manually (no to mention: one less layer to manage)
Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:44:33 PM by RHiNO

Sh4rp

Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 05:20:09 AM
Hey there,

after I played around with the beta for a bit, I found besides some points that have alreay been mentioned just one little flaw that would be cool if you can fix it before the release.

When using the new freehand lasso, I noticed that when you do quick strokes, the selection-line becomes quiet edgy. I guess this could be easily fixable by increasing the frequency in which the lasso gets a new position input from the stylus. Also while selecting, I noticed a strange glitchy behaviour when trying to rotate or zoom the canvas.

Besides that I was wondering what the hot-menu entry "mirror" really does? It seems like it`s flipping the canvas but when I look at the layers they are still in the original orientation. So adding a true flip horizontal AND ALSO flip vertical where the content of all layers is affected would be great.

I`ll keep experimenting but besides that I`m very pleased where it goes!

Cheers