Author Topic: Relative brush size  (Read 2834 times)

Nighternet

Relative brush size
on: August 06, 2018, 01:57:51 AM
I apologise if this is a recurring theme, but at this stage of ASP development, it's the ONLY constant source of delays and frustration for me. While having the min brush size of 1 px is OK in most of the cases, having Max brush size that's 4-6 times bigger than the working area makes 90% of the size slider useless. And, as it's will be always the case with any computer art, we're working on the part of the canvas most of the time.

If people find it useful to have a brush few times bigger than the canvas, then why not to have it as an option. Say, in "more" have a switch "absolute/relative" size. When in "relative" max brush size = canvas larger side. Or to be able to set min/max for a slider, not in the brush editor.

This is even more relevant in elasticity.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Relative brush size
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:32:13 AM
Min brush size - we will probably add that in version 1.4
Max brush size - why you just not adjust that in Brush Editor (remember to save it as a new brush or overwrite)?

Limiting max brush size to canvas size is a good idea, i will consider adding that in version 1.4

Relative brush size - maybe it could be useful, but nobody requested that so far...

Elasticity - i think you mean Elastify filter - brush size there is relative there, you set it as a percent of canvas size.

Nighternet

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:24:56 AM
I work 100% on various size visible areas (parts of canvas). Creating a custom brush every time would be insane. When you say "percentage" (like in elasticity filter), you mean the entire canvas. Which can be very big. What happens is that 90% of the slider length become useless, and I have to nudge right and left few times before getting a perfect size brush.

Your real canvas is what you have on the screen, not the entire artwork. Unlike the physical painting, here you don't see what is outside of the screen even with a hindsight. So having a brush that few times bigger than what you see is totally useless.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 05:42:25 AM
That's why i wrote i would consider adding Limiting max brush size to canvas dimensions

Nighternet

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 02:08:49 AM
Sorry, I thought the "canvas" meant the entire artwork, not the visible area.