Author Topic: Brush size and other observations (desktop app)  (Read 3466 times)

boxy

• Sav Scatola
Brush size and other observations (desktop app)
on: July 13, 2018, 01:28:26 AM
Hello
I just bought Artstudio Pro desktop after being blown away by ASP for iPad. I was a big fan of ArtStudio anyway, but with pro finally comes an app which makes me genuinely prefer working on the iPad than a computer, amazing work.

And from there, the performance of large brush sizes in ASP desktop is phenomenal when compared to most other apps. Painting big washes in real time and print size canvases is a pleasure now. I also love the seamless integration with the iPad version as well as seamless Photoshop brush import. Again, an amazing painting app.

I emailed you about my main topic and you graciously said you'd consider adding the feature, but having used the commercial desktop version for a few days, I realise why the feature is quite important for me. In many apps (but not photoshop) you can set up a wacom pen button to drag left/right to increase/decrease brush size on the fly. I change brush size a lot as in many cases it is preferred to making a single brush's minimum size = 0 and trying to control size with pressure. Being able to do this ensures that your workflow is not broken at all and for me is the best way to resize a brush while keeping the flow. The 3 options we currently have in Artstudio Pro require that you do break your workflow:

1. Keyboard [] are situated far right of the kb. It is more productive for right handed users to have the left hand poised around the modifier/undo/select all/copy/cut area of the keyboard, so in order to change brush size by keys, I need to break workflow and look down. This also leads to a secondary request for custom keyboard shortcuts as there seems no way to change the arrangement currently.

2. UI brush size slider - is positioned above far left of the canvas which is great to have but also requires a break in the workflow. In the absence of a button click drag option, bringing up a modifier button/click resize slider at the cursor's current position would be less distracting.

3. Using the Wacom tablet's touch ring also requires either ditching the keyboard in order to hover over the ring which is counter productive, or breaking workflow to locate the ring with either hand.

I know it seems like I've thought way too much about such a tiny feature in such an otherwise massively impressive app, but once you've had that click drag resize, anything else feels like a step backwards.

Another minor point is the floating colour panel. I'd love to see a cut down version without swatches which will persistently dock to the right hand side of the UI along with layers etc so it is saved with launch prefs. I think the number fields could be made smaller or rearranged to accommodate a narrower panel which would therefore fit. In addition a contextual popup colour picker at cursor position is often useful.

Sorry for the long post about pretty minor things, but for me at least, they'd make a difference to the workflow, though I openly admit this app is not solely designed for me. :D

Cudos to Lucky Clan for creating such a stand out painting app in a crowded market. I absolutely love it!
Thanks

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Brush size and other observations (desktop app)
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 04:04:31 PM
Customzable shortcuts is planned for this year, will it fulfil your request about changing brush size?

Hsl sliders (or maybe wheel or swaure) is also planned

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Brush size and other observations (desktop app)
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 04:25:53 PM
Please also open this thread:
http://www.luckyclan.com/forum/index.php?topic=612.0

Is it what you mean?