Author Topic: First Layer Canvas Eraser Preference  (Read 2861 times)

artmessiah

First Layer Canvas Eraser Preference
on: July 10, 2018, 08:29:29 PM
Is there a way I can set the first layer (canvas) to erase only white and not erase the canvas color (which shows the checkered transparency) when I use the eraser tool.   I start doodling forgetting the eraser tool will not work like other art apps and it is a bit annoying to always remember to create a new layer each time I open the program.  Thank you for your help!  :)   

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: First Layer Canvas Eraser Preference
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:35:14 AM
Yes, just „Lock Transparency” on that layer, however it has to be done manually after creating a new document. Then set Eraser color to White (activate the Eraser and tap White swatch). You may also enable ‚Eraser uses separate color’ in Artstudio>Preferences, so changing color for other tools will not change Eraser color.

artmessiah

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:47:33 PM
OK thanks.  Why not have "lock Transparency" on the first layer as a default option?  Would save initial headaches to artist new to the program I'm sure.  Thanks again for the super quick response.   

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 03:02:46 PM
I can do it, but then i will receive tons of email like „why eraser does not erase to transparency”?
It was default setting in legacy Artstudio, and believe me many users asked the question above.

Ps. One more solution is: In File>New>New Empty you set background to White+Transparent.

artmessiah

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 04:55:32 PM
Thank you, "new file, background transparency + white" is what i'll use in the future :)