Author Topic: Workflow improvement suggestions!  (Read 16093 times)

Nighternet

Re: Workflow improvement suggestions!
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 04:10:26 AM
For a decent size giclee print one needs at least 8000 px artwork (ideally it should be much bigger). How many layers can a file have on iPad before it slows to a crawl? Screen resolutions of course may have more layers. 4K screens are the reality (and not very expensive). 8K will be available soon.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 06:08:06 AM
I see. Indeed max Ram size in iOS devices is 4GB in iPad Pro 12.9. App can use about a half to be stable.
One layer 8000x8000 consumes about 256MB of RAM. So indeed app will slow down a lot after adding more that 5-6 layers.
You can do the following things to save a bit of memory:
- keep only one document open
- limit undo steps to just 2-3 (Artstudio->Preferences)

Kappa

Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 05:23:48 AM
Here’s a list of suggestions and a couple of problems I runned into after using the app (iPad version) extensively all week for actual illustration work.

1. Two/three finger tap undo/redo gesture that keeps undoing or redoing when you tap and hold.

2. The lock icon on the upper part of the layer panel could work with a single tap as alpha lock and have all the others options on a tap and hold menu. Alternatively a gesture for alpha lock could do the trick.

3. A brush cursor

4. Needing an extra tap to focus back in the workspace when a panel is open could be optional under preferences.

5.Faster/simpler multiple layer selection would be really nice. Procreate’s right swipe for adding layers to your selection is a very elegant and efficient solution.

6. Masking modes (add,subtract,intersect) could be individually visible on the bottom tool bar for immediate access as icons so the won’t take too much space. That way they could also work with tap and hold as well, so you can change modes rapidly for brief masking corrections and return to default mode (new) upon release.

7. Another suggestion for masking is that the freehand lasso could stay editable without closing the mask when you pick up the stylus from the screen. That way you’re able to continue masking free hand or by anchor points until you close the mask. I always thought it made more sense for the lasso tool to work that way and to my surprise Procreate is the only app so far that adopted this approach.

8. Tap and hold one finger on screen to lock polygonal lasso to 45 degrees increments. That feature could also be useful elsewhere in the app like the rotation in transform mode for example.

9. More accessible drawing modes. I think the most commonly used mode other than freehand is straight lines. A shortcut for that one would also be nice. The straight line feature in procreate for example, the one that your brushstroke turns into a straight line if you hold down the pen after a stroke is really helpful.

10. More accessible color editor. Maybe double tap on any of the color swatches on the side bar or moving the button for the color editor on the top of that side bar.

11. This one is a luxury and definitely not a necessity but I would love the option of gamut masking on a color wheel as a different color editing mode.

12. The Move tool should be able to deletes guides by dragging them outside of both edges of the workspace. Not just the one they were dragged in from.

And here’s some problems.

A) Sometimes my hand is making marks with the brush even though I have “pencil only” mode enabled. I need to press the upper right button (pen/touch toggle) a couple of times to get it back on track.

B) The lasso tool sometimes does not register the mask. Especially when adding or subtracting. It makes the first anchor point but then it cancels the mask after a couple of clicks. Some times it doesn’t even registering at all.

C) The masking tools are registering input from hand even when the “pencil only” mode is on.

D) Exporting to psd sometimes doesn’t work immediately. After choosing psd it starts to calculate but never stops. I had to try a dozen times more before it made the export. These were just 3Mb- 4Mb files with 5 layers maximum and all other export formats were working just fine.

E) The app kept crushing when organizing the favorite tools list. I currently have 46 items. Mostly brushes and couple of erasers.

Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 06:19:59 PM by Kappa

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 03:30:06 AM
1. We will do it in future versions.
2. I like it, we will do it.
3. It is already planned for version 1.1
4. It is done - it will be available in version 1.1
5. We will consider adding this
6. We will consider this
7. We will do it in version 1.1 or 1.2
8. It can be useful, we will think about it.
9. We will think about it.
10. We will think about it
11. Maybe later
12. I agree, we will do it in 1.1 or 1.2; Update: device cannot detect touches outsize the screen, so delete when dragging out to the left or bottom is not possible on iOS devices. This is already working on Mac.

A) It was fixed in version 1.0.11.
B) I reproduced that, this is very rare, i will try to fix it asap
C) We will fix it asap
D) Please send me artstudio docuemnt that has problems with PSD export, i will try to reproduce it. Tell me also which iPad model and iOS version are you using.
E) When exactly does it crash? Could you send me file named "Tools" with all favorite presets (go to Files app->On My iPad->Artstudio Pro->User Resoources->Presets->Favourites->Tools
Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:34:04 AM by Lucky Clan

Kappa

Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 05:49:30 AM
D) Please send me artstudio docuemnt that has problems with PSD export, i will try to reproduce it. Tell me also which iPad model and iOS version are you using.

I’m afraid the files are work related and I can’t share them but here is the thing. It turns out the problem is probably not file related. I tried to export another file as a psd right now and it didn’t work. In fact, I’m unable to export any file as psd right now. It gets stuck in calculating after choosing “psd”. It doesn’t crash though. You can still hit cancel and choose another format. It just won’t export psd specifically. Let me know if you’re still interested in taking a look at a file that couldn’t export, I can send you one.

My setup is an iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) 512gb on  iOS 11.2.2 (15C202)

E) When exactly does it crash? Could you send me file named "Tools" with all favorite presets (go to Files app->On My iPad->Artstudio Pro->User Resoources->Presets->Favourites->Tools

If I remember correctly it was either when adding a new one (add current) or when I was in edit mode in the favorites panel trying to rearrange the tools. Another weird thing is that when I was rearranging a brush on edit mode dragging it up or down in the list, if I had to drag it enough to make the list scroll up or down it ended up moving a different brush than the one I was dragging. If the dragging didn’t involved scrolling the rearrangement worked fine.

I found the tools file but it’s over 180mb. Should I upload it and send you a wetransfer link?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 06:14:08 AM
Kappa: Maybe it is problem with low free disk space on your iPad? Both fav tools and psd export sometimes need hundreds of MBs.

Kappa

Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 06:36:12 AM
I think it’s safe to assume it’s not due to disk space. I still have 480gb available.

Btw I have quite a lot of brushes installed. They might be over 1gb. Could that be a factor?
Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:43:31 AM by Kappa

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 07:03:27 AM
Rearranging fav tools - i reproduced the problem (or very similar problem). We are fixing it now.

PSD Export - please send me your artstudio document. One more question - do you use iCloud or Local to store documents?

Kappa

Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 07:06:09 AM
Local storage.

I’m sending a file right now.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 08:33:00 AM
Kappa: Thanks for your help to fix problems with PSD Export and rearrange fav tools. Both bugs have been fixed.

Kappa

Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 12:20:11 PM
It’s really my pleasure. Your app is great and I’m glad you’re paying that much attention to your user feedback. It’s a win-win for all of us. :)

Keep up the great work.

Husketch

Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 04:22:38 AM
Looking forward to version 1.1 improvements :)
Just a note. If you're implementing a brush cursor please make it optional in the preferences to turn on/off. Many users prefer to paint without cursor distraction.
Also, maybe an option to move brush size +opacity controls to the top of the screen instead of the bottom? Some users would prefer it to be on top as it's a bit more practical to reach with Apple pencil. Again it's best to keep it optional .

Thanks!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 05:04:38 AM
Yes, iOS cursor will be optional.
size/opacity on the top - it will be done in full screen mode in the future

Kappa

Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 02:23:45 AM
Maybe a less distracting cursor that indicates just the maximum brush size at the beginning of every stroke and nothing else instead of constantly giving real-time visual feedback on size or direction as you move the pencil, would be much less distracting and actually useful. Procreate’s cursor works with this real-time feedback and it can be very distracting at times. Alternatively, both could exist as different cursor mode options under prefs.

Oh, and I think I found another little bug.

When you merge down an empty clipping mask with a layer that’s not empty they result in an empty layer instead of leaving the content of the underlying layer unaffected.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 02:52:33 AM
We will be working on cursor this week, we will try to make it not distractive.

Empty clipping mask bug - i cannot reproduce that. If you can repeat it, please give me all steps to do it, or send me a screen video to my email.