Author Topic: Adjustments Layers improvements and other suggestions  (Read 8314 times)

Husketch

Hello
Really loving the app and I'm trying to use it now to finish a project from start to finish without relying on others. But I miss the following things:

1-Adjustment layers process needs improvement, I would suggest automatically adding a mask to an adjustment layer that is set to "reveal" , then the user can paint in it to hide parts of the adjustment layer effect

2-Maybe a bug? : If you want to clip the adjustment layer to a layer underneath using clipping mask (to only affect that layer), then adding a mask to the adjustment layer to hide/reveal the effect.. it simply doesn't work. the mask will show black color instead of hiding /revealing the effect of the adjustment layer (only happens if you activate clipping mask on the adjustment layer).

The process needs a bit of improvements to simplify the workflow. maybe adding a regular mask doesn't require to be created as a layer on top but within the same layer ( like in PS ? ).. Or find a solution to use Clipping Masks with Masks that also work well.

3-Maybe adding a clipping mask button on the layer panel to turn on/off with one click would be helpful too.

4-Add "Colorize" option in the (Hue/Saturation/Brightness) panel - will be great :)

5-Add an additional mode to Elastify modes that has a smoother smudge. (Combines Smudge+Smooth Modes into one)

That's all, Again thanks for improving this excellent app  :)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Adjustments Layers improvements and other suggestions
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 09:00:47 AM
Thanks for your feedback!

1. I usually use adj layer to fix whole photo. In apps like Photoshop i have to always delete a mask after creating adj layer, which is irritating
2. Yes, it seems it is a bug, i will try to fix it asap
3. Currently you can do it with 2 taps (tap on gear icon first in layers popover), changing to 1-tap is not necessary. One more button would be needed, interface would be more cluttered.
4. I will consider adding it. Currently you can use Tint option in Black and White adjustment, which is similar.
5. I'm not sure if it is possible. Elastify Smooth is similar to Gaussian Blur filter. Smudge+Smooth would be similar to Paint+Blur, it would be hard to setup good parameters, maybe also hard to implement.

Husketch

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 04:13:07 PM
Thanks for your response  :)

Binke

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 07:02:46 PM
Hi, any updates on issue nr#2 that seemed like it was a bug?
I just bought the app, been liking it a lot, got a lot of features that Procreate is missing.

Adding a mask to layer A that has a clipping mask to layer B, does not just affect the layer A, it also affects Layer B which is not the desired effect.

Another request I would have is when you have a mask selected and you are painting in it, color picking picks the greyscale value in the mask, and not the color value of what you have in your painting, this is how it works in photoshop and it’s very helpful when doing advanced masking that isn’t just pure black on white.
Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 07:16:32 PM by Binke

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 12:18:39 AM
Problem not fixed yet, but we will try to do it after we finish current task (big Lighting filter).

Color picking request - it makes sense, we will do it for version 1.4

Binke

Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 06:18:32 AM
Great, thanks for the quick reply.

Kappa

Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 06:10:31 AM
Don’t know if this helps (concerning issue number two)

I tried to add some adjustment layers all using clipping mask to affect the same layer underneath.

I found out that although no adjustment layer reacts correctly (or not at all) with the layer underneath on its own, if you start toggling on/off their layer visibility at random, some adjustment layers seem to interact with each other, partially affecting the layer underneath. Sometimes affecting just brightness levels and sometimes color variations.

I know it’s a bit chaotic and confusing but since I happened to see it I thought I should share it. Maybe it’ll inform you in a useful way in figuring out how to fix it.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 06:49:29 AM
Could you send me a video recording or sample document so i can reproduce that?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 09:18:58 AM

Adding a mask to layer A that has a clipping mask to layer B, does not just affect the layer A, it also affects Layer B which is not the desired effect.

I have tested that, and it works like expected. If layer has both mask and clipping mask attached - both them are applied to that layer.

Binke

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 02:03:07 PM
hi, i will try to show better what I mean. Take a look at the examples I have attached.
Sorry for the camera-snapshot, photoshop didnt let me import the screenshots from the ipad.

I have compared how it works in Photoshop and thats the standard way of how it should work I think.
In other words if you apply a mask to a adjustment layer, or any layer, it should only affect that layer, and not any layer underneath.

A mask should only affect several layers if they are all in the same group/folder, as this is how it works in most applications.

btw the image from photoshop is quite large so you will have to scroll to the right to see the whole image.
Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:05:39 PM by Binke

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 04:44:28 PM
Did you try to disable clipping mask?

Binke

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 05:48:11 PM
If I disable the clipping mask then the adjustment layer affects the whole image.
Say you are doing concept art, and you are painting a character. You want to adjust the lighting on him with a adjustment layer, and it should only affect his layer. So you use a clipping mask on the adjustment layer . But you only want the light on certain places, so you want to mask how much & where the adjustment layer is affecting the character.

Does this make sense?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 10:27:38 PM
So  use group - i mean put adjustment layer and a layer below in a separate group.

Binke

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 08:04:04 AM
Using a group only seems to work with adjustment layers, but it seems buggy, even though the mask is black, the adjustment layer is affecting the image by 10-15%
It does not seem to work when just using regular layers set to different blending modes..

Just being able to mask a layer that has a clipping mask - without affecting the layers below is super useful in many situations.

And just to repeat what Husketch said: : If you want to clip the adjustment layer to a layer underneath using clipping mask (to only affect that layer), then adding a mask to the adjustment layer to hide/reveal the effect.. it simply doesn't work. the mask will show black color instead of hiding /revealing the effect of the adjustment layer (only happens if you activate clipping mask on the adjustment layer).

The process needs a bit of improvements to simplify the workflow. maybe adding a regular mask doesn't require to be created as a layer on top but within the same layer ( like in PS ? )

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 05:09:07 PM
10-15%? Are you sure? Could yiu send a document with the buggy group?