Author Topic: PLEASE fix the saving bug!  (Read 4533 times)

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
PLEASE fix the saving bug!
on: November 28, 2023, 09:00:12 AM
Hey there!

I'm wondering if recently something was changed regarding the saving bug?

Yesterday I was working on a painting, when I left my iPad for 10 mins. And when I came back, I was shocked to see that none of my progress was saved. I've lost around 2+ hours of work... this is the first time that this has happened to me while NOT using iCloud as storage location... and I also got no notification for a saving issue or anything.. needless to say, that this was really infuriating.

And I really don't believe that Apple will address this issue anytime soon. It's been happening since over half a year already! So, at this point, it's really up to you (Lucky Clan) to fix this somehow. Even if it means going back to a custom gallery (since you mentioned this is likely the root cause for it, that somethings wrong with Apples gallery view, which also explains why the same thing happens in Pages and Numbers). Or even if it means changing something bigger inside the app, so it's not so reliant on bugs from Apples side like this...

This is just such a gigantic setback in the overall app reliability and functionality it's actually driving me nuts at this point... none other drawing app has this issue. And it's a huge one, since you literally cannot rely on ASP saving the work you do, and it's been going on for months and now only seems to get even worse... I was able to circumvent this bug mostly by not using iCloud (I would still get saving issues, but could just restart/reopen the document and wouldn't lose hours of work) which was already inconvenient enough. But now loosing hours of work again, even though I'm NOT using iCloud, is just bad.

Idk how to say this more nicely at this point, since it's really just so freaking annoying, and I just cannot grasp how finding a way to fix such a HUGE bug, isn't the number 1 priority for you right now...

And I'm curious to know how many other people dealing with this bug? Which is why I'm posting it on the forum too, instead of via email only. I saw it mentioned a few separate times on here, but it always gets buried/forgotten again, as the forum isn't that active lately.

Please just make this a priority...

Off-topic:

There is another unrelated bug that reappeared, idk when. But exporting animations as HEVC doesn't work properly (colors are wrong and frames are not playing correctly). I think it's only when exporting with transparency. Also, when using "undo" after playing an animation, it undos every single playback, instead of undoing the strokes/adjustment/etc. made.

Also, somewhat recently, I experienced some seemingly random crashes of the app, something that hasn't really happened before like this. Just thought I should mention, even if I don't know the cause yet.

Thanks!

PhoenixDragoon

Re: PLEASE fix the saving bug!
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 05:53:33 PM
Yeah, Apple can’t fix it on their end or don’t care. Hopefully the devs can work something out.

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 11:28:20 PM
I'm testing the Beta with a new approach for a fix, it looks promising so far! The devs definitely working hard on a fix now.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 04:47:57 PM
As i wrote few times the bug is caused by iOS.
I reported that to apple, but it seems they haven't fix it yet.
I can easily repeat the bug in apps like Pages or Numbers.

However, like icezimy wrote, i think i finally found a workaround! We are testing that in real work...

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 09:46:05 AM
Update with the fix has been released - version 5.1.21

Pikachu

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 02:37:56 AM
it was gone for a bit, but i suddenly started getting the "Document was not saved! Please close and reopen the document" popup every autosave or if i manually save

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 04:21:34 AM
it was gone for a bit, but i suddenly started getting the "Document was not saved! Please close and reopen the document" popup every autosave or if i manually save

Since I tested the fix, I only got this same error message once, while saving with iCloud (it only happened after ~20h, of now 70 + hours of working), however, it did actually still continue saving normally after that (despite the error message) and no progress was lost.

So it's important to understand what exactly was happening to you? Did you actually lose any progress of your art, or did you just get the error message? And are you saving your documents on iCloud or local storage?
Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 04:26:59 AM by icezimy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 04:06:15 PM
Could you check if it happens on iCloud / local disk (On My iPad) / both?

Pikachu

Reply #8 on: December 17, 2023, 03:49:13 AM
Could you check if it happens on iCloud / local disk (On My iPad) / both?

it seems to have fixed itself, but i don't use icloud, so it was on local disk

scratch that, it only occurs within a certain document. the reason it was gone was that i had made a new one. it could be the size of the document, which is over 300mb.
Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 05:45:45 AM by Pikachu

JohnDunn_art

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 03:02:50 PM
I still get it constantly. I store locally and my file sizes are usually between 1gb to 4gb, if that matters. I can try saving to iCloud if anybody can confirm that it works better there

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2024, 05:48:14 PM
I still get it constantly. I store locally and my file sizes are usually between 1gb to 4gb, if that matters. I can try saving to iCloud if anybody can confirm that it works better there

So, I found the bigger the file size, the more often it happens. I also often work with large files, but don't get it anymore, thanks to these habits:

I store with iCloud again now, and I made it a habit to save manually from time to time, and also to switch to the gallery view for a few seconds until the "waiting..." symbol from uploading to iCloud disappears and the thumbnail updates. And that seems to do the trick... Also, I just duplicate the files every 30min or so, so if it were to happen, at least I wouldn't loose hours of work again.

It's not ideal :/ But at least it's manageable/avoidable like that

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2024, 03:23:51 AM
Unfortunately Apples still doesn't want to fix it in the iOS, i can still easily repeat this issue in apps like Pages or Numbers...

In December 2023 we released an update with a kind of workaround. This is not a fix because only Apple can really fix it. But it prevents from losing the progress. So you will still sometimes see a "Saving Error" alert, but now it is one-time issue, and the next saving should work fine.