Author Topic: Feature Request: Shading Assist  (Read 2715 times)

PhoenixDragoon

Feature Request: Shading Assist
on: April 10, 2023, 04:39:54 PM
So, I have just learnt of this feature on Clip Studio 2.0

https://tips.clip-studio.com/en-us/articles/7624

Here it shows all the things it can do.

Honestly i'd hope artstudio to copy more of what clip studio does in terms of features than what Procreate does.

mgo

Re: Feature Request: Shading Assist
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 03:26:38 PM
Now I wouldn't stop them, but looking at the results in CSP I am totally underwhelmed by their feature. The inferred geometry and thus shading just doesn't look good to me. Maybe it's the particular example of the girl's head. But the last image (interior) looks even worse, or rather wrong, with gradients all over the place that just don't belong there. I guess to make this work better the app could make use of ai models that better predict the actual geometry, and so can apply shading that is ... realistic, or rather convincing. This would, of course, defy the purpose of a drawing app and take away the fun of painting, illustrating and creating stylized images  ;)

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 02:44:17 AM
Now I wouldn't stop them, but looking at the results in CSP I am totally underwhelmed by their feature. The inferred geometry and thus shading just doesn't look good to me. Maybe it's the particular example of the girl's head. But the last image (interior) looks even worse, or rather wrong, with gradients all over the place that just don't belong there. I guess to make this work better the app could make use of ai models that better predict the actual geometry, and so can apply shading that is ... realistic, or rather convincing. This would, of course, defy the purpose of a drawing app and take away the fun of painting, illustrating and creating stylized images  ;)

Having exactly the same thoughts about this 😅

LCArt

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 09:45:46 PM

well, its a fine tool as a helper, to define light and shadow positions, i would never use it to finish a drawing. Could be interesting to have, but dunno

Qualzar

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 06:14:41 AM
The feature looks so much worse than what a bit of shading practice can do. It didn't work at all well for most of my art, and I think most people would be hard pressed to consider it helpful or an improvement on manual shading