Author Topic: Request: Tool Icons and Custom Names in Quick Menu  (Read 4656 times)

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Request: Tool Icons and Custom Names in Quick Menu
on: April 27, 2022, 06:38:21 PM
The quick menu displays all the tools and things that can be put on the toolbar, but the toolbar lets you give a custom name to them, even letting you use those special icons if you put in the correct codenames.

The quick menu would benefit from this functionality, especially if you are putting favorite presets in it. They show up as "ActivateFavoritePreset1, 2, 3," etc, which makes it real hard to tell what they are. They could be the brush, eraser, lasso, anything, and theres no good indicator.

Ideally, any tool you add to the quick menu would show its icon. In the attached mockup, you can see I did that for the lasso tool.

For favorite tools, it would be real cool if they could show the tool's icon with a little star next to it to let you know its a favorite. Since favorites can store custom settings per tool, a customizable bit of text below it would let you indicate its functionality. for instance, I have the move tool in the mockup as a favorite preset twice, but one is set to duplicate. The custom text is the only thing that would let you know that. The custom text can also describe what kind of brush the favorite is (Pencil, in this mockup), or that a fill bucket is set to lasso mode, etc. There's many more examples of customizations that would benefit from this.

It would make the new quick swipe functionality in the single-finger quick menu gesture very handy for rapidly switching between common tools for a particular workflow. I think it would really make the quick menu nicer and quicker to visually understand as you go.

Thanks for considering this!
Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 06:48:38 PM by mattnava

alfanders

Re: Request: Tool Icons and Custom Names in Quick Menu
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 12:36:21 PM
This sounds lovely! Loving the mockup as well 💖
It does look prettier and more intuitive 💖

ggermain1

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 01:02:01 PM
+1

artstudio

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 01:16:11 PM
This is a great suggestion.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 05:50:09 AM
Thanks for mockups. It is ok, maybe we will make similar improvements in the future.

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 05:36:48 PM
Awesome, thank you!

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 01:50:19 PM
Another thing that would make the quick menu more readable would be the ability to choose a subtle tint for each icon. It could default to the current monochrome, but being able to add color would make it easier to find things at a glance.

artstudio

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 01:37:28 AM
Both suggestions, colored menu and visible tools are great. I also want to see a search feature in quick menu options selection menu and an ability to change the function from quick menu itself.
Another function which would be great is multiple quick menus like Procreate has.

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 03:56:53 AM
Omg, I just accidentally discovered that you can change the name of a favorite by holding your finger on it. So favorites already have ui to enter custom names! Now, the simplest implementation of this feature (for favorites) is just to display that name in the quick menu. Tantalizingly simple!

And dang, I wish there was comprehensive documentation at moments like these, I wonder how many other hidden little features there are that I will never know about. Maybe there’s a way documentation could be outsourced to the community or something, since it’s a big and continuous job…
Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 04:00:52 AM by mattnava

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 10:21:51 PM
Hyped to see the quick menu use the favorite's name in the latest release! Thank you!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 02:43:32 AM
You are welcome :)

Hyped to see the quick menu use the favorite's name in the latest release! Thank you!

-fjg-

Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 10:32:13 AM
You are welcome :)

Nice addition. Quick menu is awesome!

zeatehk01

Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 08:48:22 PM
i had no idea you could set favorites for tools other than brushes. not only am i going to use this new knowledge but i am excited to see the quick menu updates :D

BoroseMedia

• Graphic Designer, Illustrator, & Writer.
Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 03:31:09 PM
+1

It would also be nice if your custom names displayed when they were selected via keyboard shortcut. :)
Artstudio Pro convert. Currently working on my upcoming graphic novel and webcomic.

Starting an Art Insta and a YouTube channel. My handle is @borosemedia.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 02:39:46 AM
We will improve that asap

+1

It would also be nice if your custom names displayed when they were selected via keyboard shortcut. :)