Author Topic: Finger painting bug  (Read 3312 times)

barel

Finger painting bug
on: October 16, 2021, 07:25:10 AM
I’m not sure what changed, but for a while now I’ve had issues where my finger would leave one stamp at max size and opacity despite having finger set to eyedropper in the settings. It never happened before, but I’m not sure when it started happening.
It happens occasionally when I zoom, move the canvas or color pick. The action still happens as normal, but at the end, as I lift my finger off, a single stamp is left at max size and opacity. It also happens every time I quickly tap the canvas once, but not twice like I do to mirror the canvas.
It’s extremely annoying and I’ve tried going through the options to see if there was a setting that might explain the behaviour but I couldn’t find anything. Toggling pencil only mode obviously prevents this, but then I can’t use the finger to colorpick, and quickly colorpicking without a delay is one of the main things the app has over the competition.
Edit: To add, the delay setting has no bearing on this, and setting finger function to off accomplishes nothing either, I still get a stamp on every tap, and if I drag my finger across the screen, I get a single stamp as soon as I lift my finger.
Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:34:43 AM by barel

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Finger painting bug
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 07:35:40 AM
I will try to fix it asap.

barel

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 10:25:37 AM
Thank you very much

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 08:24:26 AM
It started happening after the last update where i re-enabled option to "draw a singe stamp stroke after one finger tap / pencil tap".

Few user requested to add option to draw a dot after a quick tap...

barel

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 05:27:47 PM
Hey, any news on this? I’m still getting single stamps on accident when palm rejection doesn’t prevent my palm as registering as a finger, even with finger function set to off. Setting “touch radius” to off results in every single tap leaving a stamp regardless what tool finger function is set to (for example, if finger function is set to pan/erase/eyedropper/smudge/off, it still leaves a single stamp of the active tool on the canvas).
Setting touch radius to on makes it happen less often but it still happens every couple of minutes, it’s very annoying.

I understand that people requested to have taps result in single stamps, but there’s clearly a bug somewhere here, I don’t think tapping should result in a stamp of the active tool regardless of what I set the finger to do in the settings.

To clarify, when I say “even with finger function set to off” I’m referring to the setting in preferences > gestures, not pencil only mode. Pencil only mode prevents this, but then I can’t use the finger function, obviously

Edit: attached video showing what happens with touch radius set to off
Setting it on results in the same thing, except not consistently on every tap
I’ll also note that this might tie into the issue I reported recently where tapping with finger function set to eyedropper (and touch radius to on) doesn’t actually activate the eyedropper, I have to move the finger on the screen for anything to happen
Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 05:41:52 PM by barel

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 05:03:46 AM
I get it, finger function set to off shouldn't draw "stamps". We will try to fix it asap.

barel

Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 02:45:22 PM
Hi, just got the update, I see the changelog mentions fixing the issue when finger function is set to pan/eraser/smudge/off, however the issue is still present when finger function is set to eyedropper, just wanted to mention it in case it’s an oversight.

Thanks

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 06:15:27 AM
Indeed it was fixed in 4.0.3

Finger Function: Eyedropper - i cannot reproduce the issue, could you give us more details?

Hi, just got the update, I see the changelog mentions fixing the issue when finger function is set to pan/eraser/smudge/off, however the issue is still present when finger function is set to eyedropper, just wanted to mention it in case it’s an oversight.

Thanks

barel

Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 09:04:00 AM
Here’s a video, it’s exactly as before, but now only the eyedropper setting seems to be affected.
If touch radius is turned on nothing happens when I tap, the eyedropper isn’t activated, it only activates once I move my finger on the screen, but I still get the occasional accidental stamp from my palm, just much less frequently (happens on each tap otherwise).
Just to note, I’m not asking for the eyedropper to activate on a tap with touch radius on, I’m just mentioning it as the probable reason you couldn’t recreate the bug, the stamp only occurs (from what I can tell) when you don’t move your finger between touching and lifting it. With my settings, it still happens with a long press as long as I don’t move the finger. If I move my finger, the eyedropper activates and everything happens as expected, with no stamp.

Thanks
Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 09:09:09 AM by barel

starto

Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 12:45:16 PM
Following your last video,and with v4.0.3 and iPad Pro 11 2020,I can not reproduce your bug,my ASP goes very well,i can not produce the stamps,no matter how i switch those settings.

barel

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 03:54:12 PM
The video is made with 4.0.3 (769), it’s definitely there, the same bug I initially reported in October. I always had the finger set to eyedropper, that’s how I encountered the bug in the first place, the other stuff was just me testing.
Attached are the settings I assume are relevant, touch radius I had set to on initially, but setting it off makes the behaviour consistent, otherwise it happens intermittently. As you can see from the video, I can reproduce it consistently, I could take a video of the whole thing with my phone to show my hand, but I don’t think it would reveal anything relevant.
Let me know if the rest of the settings might be of use, I assume this should suffice.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 05:34:29 AM
Thanks, we reproduced and fixed that (accidental stamps).

It was happening when Double/Triple Tap is not Off.
If Double/Triple Tap is Off, Finger Eyedropper will work immediately after tap.

barel

Reply #12 on: February 18, 2022, 08:28:25 AM
Thanks, glad it’s fixed