Author Topic: Ruler and selection  (Read 3374 times)

lastaccess

Ruler and selection
on: December 04, 2021, 08:53:45 AM
1. Simple ruler tool should be really helpful addition. Length in pixel from point to point and angle from horizont.

2. Option to not autoclose selection if last tap is close to first point. It should close when you point exactly on first dot. Now it is quite hard to make small area selections, you have to zoom in too close to make selection.

Thanks.

Pikachu

Re: Ruler and selection
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 05:46:01 PM
I'd like to add on to the selection point, it would be nice if the selection auto closed when pressing transform. Right now it forgets the lasso and just selects the entire layer. I swear this was already a thing, was it removed in the most recent update or did I get some random muscle memory out of nowhere?
Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:02:30 AM by Lucky Clan

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 06:09:09 AM
I also want to suggest again to add back in the option to deselect lasso tool selection via double tap... it was just much more convenient than the other options to deselect

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 03:02:45 AM
Yea, after multikple users requests i changed that behaviour - now when lasso is not rendered, it will be canceled when changing active tool or for example tapping Edit > Transform.

I'd like to add on to the selection point, it would be nice if the selection auto closed when pressing transform. Right now it forgets the lasso and just selects the entire layer. I swear this was already a thing, was it removed in the most recent update or did I get some random muscle memory out of nowhere?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 03:06:23 AM
There are already few ways to deselect:
- Select > Deselect in the top menu
- "x" icon in the left toolbar, when any select tool is active
- double tap any select tool icon in the top toolbar
- when select mode is "New" (not "add" / "subtract" etc), just tap on the canvas on any unselected area

I also want to suggest again to add back in the option to deselect lasso tool selection via double tap... it was just much more convenient than the other options to deselect

Pikachu

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 08:28:41 AM
Yea, after multikple users requests i changed that behaviour - now when lasso is not rendered, it will be canceled when changing active tool or for example tapping Edit > Transform.

I understand cancelling lasso upon switching tools, because there's a larger chance I changed my mind about the selection. But surely no one wanted that when pressing transform... that doesn't really make sense to me. When I press transform while having a selection open I'd expect it to autocomplete the selection and then transform, I don't see any reason why it should cancel the selection and then transform. If I changed my mind about the selection I almost definitely wouldn't be pressing transform. But oh well, it's a small thing, just convenient when quickly moving things around. I'll get used to it.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 02:55:16 PM
I think Transform should be "grayed" when selection is not closed...

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 04:46:23 PM
- when select mode is "New" (not "add" / "subtract" etc), just tap on the canvas on any unselected area

Why is it not possible to add the same behavior it has for "New" to "add/subtract etc." aswell?(just with double tap instead of single tap, so you can still do the single tap for straight selection lines) Clicking outside selected area to deselect is just more convenient/faster than the other options, especially when working with lasso tool alot. And I remember that it already used to be like that for lasso tool in the past and actually still is for the other selections(rectangle, circle, etc), not sure why it was removed with some update but would really love the option back

Pikachu

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 06:21:26 PM

I think Transform should be "grayed" when selection is not closed...
Well I explained my reasoning the best I could, but I respect your decision wholeheartedly. I'm at least grateful there's an option to turn off autoclose  :P

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2021, 10:13:24 PM

Why is it not possible to add the same behavior it has for "New" to "add/subtract etc." aswell?(just with double tap instead of single tap, so you can still do the single tap for straight selection lines) Clicking outside selected area to deselect is just more convenient/faster than the other options, especially when working with lasso tool alot. And I remember that it already used to be like that for lasso tool in the past and actually still is for the other selections(rectangle, circle, etc), not sure why it was removed with some update but would really love the option back

*push*

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2021, 02:43:36 AM
I never knew about the double tap outside a selection to deselect gesture. The way I do deselection, which I find faster than any methods mentioned as alternatives here, is to put deselect in the quick menu and then assign quick menu to double tap in the prefs. Then all you have to do is quickly double tap wherever your finger happens to be, then tap the deselect button from the quick menu, which will appear right near your finger. You don’t have to dig into menus or even reach up to the toolbar.

I encourage you to try it out icezimy- it’s not exactly what you were asking for but it’s really quick and better than the other methods imho. I was struggling with deselect feeling cumbersome until I tried this. And it’s awesome to put more stuff in there too. If you are working with lasso a lot, putting fill with current color, clear, and hide selection in the quick menu is very convenient and can speed things up a lot. I even put buttons to open the color, layers, and brushes panels in there. Really improved my experience with the app.

I can see how double tapping outside the selection to deselect would be quick and nice to have working again in all the selection modes. I’m not aware of what would be making it not possible. I’d personally still set my double tap to the quick menu (which I think simply overrides that behavior, which makes sense to me) and do it this way, just for all the benefits you get with quick menu on double tap.
Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 03:02:19 AM by mattnava

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 04:20:40 AM
Thanks for the response Mattnava! 😊

I already have quick menu set to single tap with finger and have deselect option in it. But I still find it to be much slower than how deselect via double tap was.

I don't think it would override anything, since the quick menu double tap option works with finger, but deselecting double tap would be with apple pencil (only when lasso tool is active) which currently doesn't have a use in this case.

And like I mentioned, I'm almost sure this used to be a thing few months ago when I started using the app, but was removed in some update together with some bug, and I'm trying to convince the luckyclan team to bring the option back since then lol
Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 05:03:24 AM by icezimy