Author Topic: about text fields  (Read 3206 times)

LCArt

about text fields
on: November 17, 2021, 01:11:30 AM
Hi, could you please either restore the "type with apple pencil" or fix the bug that locks us from typing text with the normal iPad keyboard? I don't know how to trigger it, but most of the time I try to rename a layer I'm locked from typing because it's trying to use the pencil instead of the keyboard, but we cant use the pencil to write the text since u disabled it many patches ago and yeah, I tried everything to trigger the normal keyboard, sometimes touching the field with a finger fixes the issue but lately that is not working most of the time. It's REALLY frustrating >.<

thanks

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: about text fields
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 08:21:49 AM
We disabled that because there were issues in the "Numeric Pad popovers", but i think we can enabled that for normal "text" textfields.

LCArt

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 05:08:42 PM
that would help a ton :O pls

Leonid Deburger

• 2d Artist
    • Artstation
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 08:12:29 AM
Hey,
Just remembered one annoying issue with the text tool. If you add text in the keyboard slide area keyboard slides over it and you have to move canvas manually to see what you are typing. Can you do something about that? Maybe autofocus on a text box while the keyboard slides in or something like that.
Thank you!

https://i.imgur.com/ZlGP34x.mp4
Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 09:43:13 AM by Leonid Deburger
Apple iPad Pro 12.9 (4th gen)

LCArt

Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 04:42:08 PM
Hey,
Just remembered one annoying issue with the text tool. If you add text in the keyboard slide area keyboard slides over it and you have to move canvas manually to see what you are typing. Can you do something about that? Maybe autofocus on a text box while the keyboard slides in or something like that.
Thank you!

https://i.imgur.com/ZlGP34x.mp4
I suggested the dev some time ago to have a textarea field in the text panel to enter the text, instead of entering it directly to the canvas, that would solve a lot of issues, like the one you mention. We could use the text that shows in the canvas to position/rotate only and everything else in the textarea field in the panel.
For the dev, think about it this way, if the text input is always at the same place, we don't have to hunt for it in the canvas, we don't have to try to tap on it properly to move the text cursor (miss taping usually leads to creating a new text field in the canvas....) The text tool is the most bugged and broken tool in the app, I barely use it for that reason. Not hating on it or anything, but it really needs some rethinking :(

Leonid Deburger

• 2d Artist
    • Artstation
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 09:15:01 PM
Idk, it seems like moving canvas up by the size of the screen keyboard is the simplest solution.
Apple iPad Pro 12.9 (4th gen)

LCArt

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 04:51:44 AM
Idk, it seems like moving canvas up by the size of the screen keyboard is the simplest solution.
Mmm not sure that's the simplest solution. That would only work if you create the text at the bottom of the canvas, if you create it at the top then the text disappears too because it would get pushed outside of the screen... if anything, the solution would be centering the canvas to the text, taking into account the size of the keyboard and I'm not sure if that's an easy thing to do for all screen sizes, another issue that can appear from that is... what if you are editing the text? it would need to take into account font size, width/height of the text in the canvas, current zoom level... and probably more things.
I still think the easiest solution is adding a textarea field to the text panel, removing the need for the canvas moving around, zooming in/out, etc. so the keyboard doesn't cover it, geez, it would even allow us to use the pencil to handwrite the text  :D

But yeah, let's see what the dev thinks ^^U

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 03:34:24 AM
We will fix that soon.