Author Topic: [Suggestion] Change / update how lighting works for layer lighting settings  (Read 3037 times)

Blokfort

I'll do my best to explain this one, but one of the things that drives a few people away from ASP (Art Studio Pro) are certain layer lighting options, such as Linear Dodge - Add. I feel a little bad using Procreate as a direct comparison, but this is true for other programs as well. If I save a PSD from ASP and directly reupload it to another app like Proc with the same exact settings, I will get a different picture if I am using those layer lighting settings.

Edit: Specifically specifically, it would be nice if the lighting options did more than just turn white.

The specific settings in question are:

• Lighten
  • Linear Dodge - Add
  • Vivid Light
  • Hard Mix

Here are a few pics illustrating the differences. This first example is using the "Linear Dodge - Add" layer setting.

And this is the same PSD and settings moved over to Procreate

EDIT: Adding a note here that Clip studio Paint can do the same thing, but Photoshop cannot.

Here is a larger graph comparing lighting options. The vertical colored lines are stable, the horizontal lines are the ones with the specific layer setting.

Art Studio Pro:

Procreate:
Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 09:37:35 PM by Blokfort

Qualzar

I was wondering why linear light behaved so weirdly outside of my usual programs! I would love this change, so much of my ASP pics wind up looking dull without it behaving this way

Blokfort

A way has been found! I know it's an old thread, but I figure having some clarity/ finality to it would be good.

There's a way for ASP to match Procreate's Add lighting layer option.
Simply color the layer you want entirely black, and color on it that way, or merge the lights you have to a black layer below it and enable the Add option then.

Credit goes to Zyonji for the discovery / big brains.