Author Topic: Suggestion: collapse any floating panels by double tap the panel title.  (Read 1774 times)

SamNArt

This will be very useful!

To temporarily show more of the canvas space, by double tapping the top bar of the floating panel.
Keeping the panel right there but double tapping its title will collapse it and only the top rectangle with the title “brushes “, “layers” ..will stay floating.

It’s quicker than going to the top tool bar again after closing the panels , and remembering which panels were floating, or clicking the wrong buttons.

A bit like a minimise function.

Thanks for consideration
 :)

Ben

That would actually be very useful in full screen mode! Although I would prefer a small tappable circle instead of the full rectangle, that would save more space. Good Idea!

SamNArt

Yes a circle would be nice. But I think the nice thing about keeping the rectangle is that you have a larger area to double tap.  And the title rectangle will also keep the “look and feel” consistent, so the visual transition between the panel and the collapsed state doesn’t feel out of place.

Ben

A minimize function like that should actually get the content out of the way. Imagine the color window at the bottom right of the Screen: You minimize the panel and what‘s left is a wide rectangle in the middle of the Screen… Not good. There are multiple ways to solve that (like turning it into a smaller shape like a circle, moving it into a corner, swiping it out of the screen temporarily, etc…), but just leaving the rectangle in place and not even the reducing the size is an incomplete implementation, especially when working in fullscreen. The double tap is only necessary to activate the function, there is enough space for that anyway. When minimized, it can be made a single tap, or swipe or whatever.
Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 10:57:59 AM by Jack Ofalltrades

SamNArt

Good point :)

Yes I agree , for example the brushes panel is wide -the title rectangle left will be too wide and not practical to leave it there.

Maybe the panel collapses to just a rounded rectangle that surrounds only the name “brushes” it will be small in that case.

Yes- single tap to bring it back would be good.

I think one of the main points is to keep some positioning anchored between the two states, it would not be very practical that the collapsed state will jump to somewhere else on the canvas, it better stay aligned (at least one corner) to the original open panel state, just for visual comfort and consistency between the two.