Author Topic: Possible Smudge Tool Sample Bug  (Read 2743 times)

ggermain1

Possible Smudge Tool Sample Bug
on: July 30, 2021, 12:36:51 PM
While experimenting with the smudge tool, I noticed that when sampling from "Current And Below" the smudge effect was a lot smoother and accurate than when sampling from "Reference" and using multiple reference layers. I've included a video of specifically what I mean. Is there a reason for this? Could it be a bug?

Dorothyfan1

Re: Possible Smudge Tool Sample Bug
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 01:01:34 PM
I can confirm this is the same thing I’m seeing. I posted about this problem before but Lucky Clan hasn’t responded. Until this issue is fixed I’m setting the Blending tool to Brush and Current and Below layers only.

ggermain1

Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 01:53:18 PM
Can you please look into this issue. It's really frustrating

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 05:55:49 AM
I'm not sure if it's ok or not (i rather think everything is ok)

So please make a new video where i could see Layers list. I need to know which layers are set as References, which layer is active etc.

Or send me .artstudio document you used in video.

While experimenting with the smudge tool, I noticed that when sampling from "Current And Below" the smudge effect was a lot smoother and accurate than when sampling from "Reference" and using multiple reference layers. I've included a video of specifically what I mean. Is there a reason for this? Could it be a bug?

ggermain1

Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 04:31:21 PM
I have attached a new video demonstrating the issue. I have also included the file that I worked on as well as the smudge brush that I used. I blend both instances on Layer 4 and I set Layers 2 and 3 as reference layers. Whenever I sample with "Current and Below" the smudge is a lot smoother. Whenever I sample with "Reference" the smudge is a lot choppier and erratic. Is there any way to make the smudge experience when referencing multiple layers as smooth as when sampling "Current and Below"?

I'm not sure if it's ok or not (i rather think everything is ok)

So please make a new video where i could see Layers list. I need to know which layers are set as References, which layer is active etc.

Or send me .artstudio document you used in video.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 07:17:21 AM
I think everything is ok. The result is different because
- in Reference mode you use Layer 1, Layer 2 and Layer 3 and current drawing buffer (empty before you start a stroke) as a source for Smudge
- in Current And Below mode you use Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3 and Layer 4 (which is also drawing buffer, not empty before you start a stroke) as a source

If you want to achieve the same result in both cases you have to add Layer 4 to the list of reference layers.

ggermain1

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 08:51:46 AM
Wow! Thank you so much, It works! It makes sense what I was doing wrong. I really appreciate the help.

I think everything is ok. The result is different because
- in Reference mode you use Layer 1, Layer 2 and Layer 3 and current drawing buffer (empty before you start a stroke) as a source for Smudge
- in Current And Below mode you use Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3 and Layer 4 (which is also drawing buffer, not empty before you start a stroke) as a source

If you want to achieve the same result in both cases you have to add Layer 4 to the list of reference layers.