Author Topic: App becomes slow after some time  (Read 6709 times)

lastaccess

Re: App becomes slow after some time
Reply #15 on: May 13, 2021, 04:47:32 AM
As I can see, it doesn't depend on canvas I use. It can be 30 layers or 1 layer, size is usually no more than 16MP. Video Recording is always on (I use Full HD recording), I'll try to disable it for a short time when lags reappear. Undo steps is set to 30. I basically use only custom brushes, but they are self made or based on app brushes.

Sometimes I open for a bit Google Drive, rearrange there files, go to Artstudio and export current state of document in jpeg to GDrive. Maybe problem is somewhere here. I do it 1 or 2 per hour. I'll try to not to do it to compare.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #16 on: May 13, 2021, 05:39:22 AM
When it happens again try to temporary disable Canvas Recording and limit undo steps to for example 5.

lastaccess

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2021, 07:31:12 AM
This behaviour is still on last build.

As I can see it doesn’t depend on undo steps. At some point whole app becomes sluggish. I tried to close active document and all panels, then opened document again. This doesn’t help, all instruments: eye dropper, selection tool, transform tool, etc. are opening a bit longer, you can see it because left side bar need more time to open then usual (after clean start it opens immediately). Brush strokes a different too, don’t know how exactly, but it seems it works with pressure sensitivity of apple pencil with lag.

It seems also that the bigger document, the faster the app becomes sluggish. Visible sluggishness is after 30-40 min or work I guess. I need to restart app after 1 hour, because painting is already uncomfortable.

I understand that it is difficult to find the cause of it, but some kind of memory leaks are still in app.

Maybe it somewhere in video recording? Big recording video size seriously slows down file opening. Maybe there is reason to keep art information and video recording in two different files?

Dorothyfan1

Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 01:29:20 PM
So now I guess the workflow for Artstudio Pro is to keep a timer on and set it for 30 minutes. Save the work at the 30 minute mark and close the app and restart from that point. It’s interesting to note I don’t see references to lag issues on Procreate like this. And based on the discussion…this issue suggests it doesn’t matter how many layers you’re using to experience this problem. I’d be concerned about this because I currently don’t use more than 5 layers on any digital drawing I create in ASP. I haven’t been experiencing these lag issues as far as I can determine because I really don’t use many layers at all. And this is the first thing that comes to my mind that might be causing the lag issues…the number of layers in the image.

lastaccess

Reply #19 on: June 09, 2021, 03:49:36 PM
Dorothyfan1,

Yes, Procreate doesn’t have this problem. But Artstudio is much better for me in almost all aspects except performance. And layers numbers isn’t problem too. It can be 5 layers it can be 60 layers. But in any case the app becomes sluggish after some time and I can’t find explanation for it or describe scenario what exactly leads to it.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #20 on: June 09, 2021, 04:27:41 PM
When it happens again please close all documents, then tap Artstudio > Send Feedback.
Among other options it will show something like this:
Mem total: 2091 Mem to use: 1502 MB used: 114 MB

Mem total - max memory than app can use before it crashes.
Mem to use - our own limit, about 60 - 80% for different devices.
used - memory currently allocated by app

If "used" is very close to "Mem to use", it means app is swapping to disk. After closing all documents, "used" value should be rather low, about 0 - 500MB.

After the lagging happens please paste or send by email ([email protected]) these values . Or better send the whole "Send Feedback" data.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #21 on: June 09, 2021, 04:30:05 PM
Please also make sure you are using version 3.2.1 (or newer). We fixed few memory leaks in 3.2 and 3.2.1.

lastaccess

Reply #22 on: June 09, 2021, 08:25:44 PM
Thanks. These memory values helped me to understand better how app works.

Clean run:

Version: 3.2.1 (673)
Device: iPad8,5
System: iOS 14.6 (Build 18F72)
Document Size: 2732 x 2048 px
Layers: 2
Open Documents: 1
Free Space: 18 GB
Mem total: 2860 Mem to use: 1878 MB used: 124 MB
Swapped: 0 MB

App works perfect while swap file is zero.

I intentionally opened 5 files. Swap file is more than a gig. And it becomes sluggish.

Open Documents: 5
Free Space: 15,92 GB
Mem total: 2860 Mem to use: 1878 MB used: 1839 MB
Swapped: 1169 MB

I closed all documents, but you can see that swap didn’t clean.

Document Size: 0 x 0 px
Layers: 0
Open Documents: 0
Free Space: 17,12 GB
Mem total: 2860 Mem to use: 1878 MB used: 25 MB
Swapped: 76 MB

I opened document. Memory usage is low, but swap is still here. And app is sluggish.

Mem total: 2860 Mem to use: 1878 MB used: 149 MB

I swiped app from recents and run it again. Swap is cleaned and app runs fluid again.

Free Space: 18 GB
Mem total: 2860 Mem to use: 1878 MB used: 124 MB
Swapped: 0 MB

As a conclusion:
1. App works perfect while swap file is zero
2. At some point app doesn’t clean swap file even when all documents are closed. Which leads to visual interface delays. So, memory leak is somewhere here.

And also I want to suggest make settings to disable opening several documents at once as it leads to significant swap grow.

Hope this information will help to fix issues.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #23 on: June 10, 2021, 04:03:15 AM
Swap stores not only layer data, but also some other data (brush stamp, patterns etc). So even if you close all documents, some data in swap may still exist. App will reload it (or clean) when they are needed. But it shouldn't make app become sluggish.

App may slow down only when "used" is close to "Mem to use".

lastaccess

Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 04:34:09 AM
Ok, i just explained that on this stage, the app is slow while memory used is pretty low:

Mem total: 2860 Mem to use: 1878 MB used: 149 MB

And also look at free space. When swap is 0, it is 18 gb. Now it is 76 mb and 17.12 gb. More then 900 mb is somewhere.

And also, why app uses swap here if it is more then enough free memory at the monent.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 05:28:04 AM
Probably app swapped some not-used data, like some brushes or patterns.
They stay swapped until they are used or deallocated.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 05:49:28 AM
free space should be back after swap is almost clean...
Could you record a video showing all your activities since app start until there is missing free space?

And also look at free space. When swap is 0, it is 18 gb. Now it is 76 mb and 17.12 gb. More then 900 mb is somewhere.

And also, why app uses swap here if it is more then enough free memory at the monent.

lastaccess

Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 09:56:38 AM
Sent you video and broken files.

Carlitusroda

Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 02:30:11 PM
I also report lags. Not on all tools, but it happens.

On a brand new iPP M1 with 8GB of RAM, the first painting i did with ASP in this model, and without using swap space:

Screenshot taken today.

Maybe i can have an explanation for that behavior in my case. I explain:

First i installed some brush sets (the Indexes from Cladio and my own sets created by zero inside ASP), all work perfect and no problems at all.

Then i installed a very large Photoshop brush set; the Michael Adamidis oils&acrylics brush set. I installed the TPL version to preserve tool configurations. Unfortunately it created a single category for all 400+ brushes. I deleted many of them (there's way too many variations of the same brushes) until that group had around only 40 brushes and tweaked them (to use emboss features). It was a very long process, because it took me around 30 seconds just to select any brush; swap memory is used (around 1.5GB). When i finished, app speed seems back to normal, no swap used.

I restarted ASP many times, to refresh memory usage. Then i started to make my painting.

To paint i used this MA brushes group and the default Oil group. I was selecting constantly the 'send feedback' feature, and i never saw any swap usage, always the same as the above screenshoot. However, the lags and delays started after some time. Even restarting the app, sometimes the lags started in few minutes, not only tool selecting delays, painting lags too. The tool selection and painting algs dosn't seem to be selective, same brush may be selected or paint instantly or have intense lag.

The only thing i noticed is that it starts when i change to any brush from another category. Even using only two brush groups, as more i change between them, the faster appears the lags.

The only thing i can do for myself is to create new brushes replicating the ones from MA. Maybe they are too resource intensive, or maybe there's some hidden ABR/TPL resources in Photoshop brushes i don't know. However, technically no swap memory is used, and the problem may still be here.

lastaccess

Reply #29 on: July 10, 2021, 09:01:08 AM
Thanks. Finally you did it. Last build 3.2.4 (684) works awesome. No performance drop after some time anymore.