Author Topic: Bugs & Suggestions  (Read 2777 times)

BoroseMedia

• Graphic Designer, Illustrator, & Writer.
Bugs & Suggestions
on: April 06, 2021, 06:13:35 PM
Hello, I’m Boston Rose.  😋 I’m new to the forms, but I’ve owned Artstudio Pro on IPad and MAC for a few months now. I really love how feature rich this application is! The last few updates have really improved the software too, but I have noticed some bugs.

On my IPad version, when in the brush stamps and textures menus, there is an option to import materials, but once you select Import or Import and Append, nothing can be selected. This is a bit frustrating as individually uploading each brush shape I made takes forever as I have to paste them into the program (still haven’t found an option to import an image into an existing document), then I have to select them each individually and go to the file menu > add preset > add brush stamp / grayscale pattern. And each time I do this, it lags for a bit before the stamp or texture is added. I have 200 brush shapes and patterns upload to make my brushes... 😅

And I’ve also noticed that when I do add a grayscale texture to use for brush making, it zooms in on texture image, making it unusable. Meaning the original texture is zoomed in on so all you see is part of it. I’ve tried uploading smaller files, and that didn’t fix it either.

I also feel that some improvements to the pressure curve settings could be made. I can get my pen to be as sensitive as I like it in other art programs, I feel that I need to press down harder than I’d like despite the curve being editing in  way that is suppose to make it more sensitive.

Also, there is an option in the documents gallery to group projects into folders, but it won’t actually let you group them.

For the desktop version, I also noticed that the panel at the very top that lets you switch between canvases obscures the minimize and maximize buttons, which make it difficult to exit or minimize the program.

SUGGESTIONS:

I would love to see a lasso fill tool separate from the fill bucket with smoothing features.

Option to import procreate brushes. This may be a long shot, but I love to use procreate for animations and sketching and Artstudio Pro for everything else and it would be nice if I could use the same brushes in both softwares.

A lot of the brushes feel really wet, even with a texture applied. Maybe add an option to roll the texture instead of just the option to reveal a flat texture as you paint. I might be wrong and this feature may be somewhere, but I haven’t found it yet.

Brushes from a colored brush stamp. This is an option I miss from Clipstudio Paint. As well as their ribbon brushes.

The ability to sync you brush Materials between multiple devices.

Bigger gallery icons. The canvas previews in the gallery are kinda small, I feel they would look better a little bigger sized.

I would also love to be able to use the undo functions without the finger and pen option toggled. It’s annoying having the option on because I will accidentally draw with my fingers, so I only have it on so I can use the undo and redo gestures. I also think that the toggle option could be moved to preferences all together and doesn’t really need to be on the menu. I always accidentally hit it when attempting  to switch between canvases.

Also, I think it would be nice if the transparency thumbnails where also dark in dark mode. They’d look a lot more sleek that way.

It would be nice if all the tools on the middle top menu had icons to choose from or a way to upload an icon, the text emoji thing doesn’t look near as clean as the default icons.

The ability to import a image into an existing document.

Double click layer to rename it.

Auto actions. This can really speed up the work flow.

30 color swatch palettes instead of 24, this would make it a lot easier to transfer procreate color palettes to Artstudio Pro.
Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 01:45:02 PM by ArtofBörose
Artstudio Pro convert. Currently working on my upcoming graphic novel and webcomic.

Starting an Art Insta and a YouTube channel. My handle is @borosemedia.

Dorothyfan1

Re: Bugs & Suggestions
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 06:26:48 PM
There’s a 24 color swatch limit in ASP?! This can’t be right. I’ve imported the Copic Color Swatch with 384 colors.What I would like to see is ASP allowing color swatch libraries to be opened SEPARATELY so you can pick and choose the colors with multiple color swatches open at the same time. Very handy. Right now only one color swatch can be opened at any one time. Not convenient.

BoroseMedia

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 06:52:09 PM
Lol, now that I’ve messed with it more, your right! It doesn’t have a limit. I guess I assumed it did because the default ones only had 24 colors. 😂😂
Artstudio Pro convert. Currently working on my upcoming graphic novel and webcomic.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 09:11:19 AM
ArtofBörose:
To import all stamps from abr into Stamps open Stamps panel, tap "+", choose "Import" or "Import And Append", and pick abr file. It is working fine on my iPad, just tested. Make sure you are using the most recent version of ipadOS and Artstudio Pro.

Zoomed Texture - if i understand the issue it is problem only in thumbnail. It just takes only a part that is needed to fill the thumbnail.

Pressure - force needed to make stroke thicker/thinner depends on global Pencil pressure curve (Artstudio > Preferences > Apple Pencil > Pressure Curve), and also on brush settings (Brush Editor > Dynamics). You can adjust these to fix that.

Group icon in Gallery is used to move selected documents into a folder, so you have to create a new empty folder first.

Minimize/Maximize icons on Mac - do you use it in fullscreen on windowed?

Suggestions:
Lasso Fill is very similar tool to Bucket Fill, that's why we decided to make it as Bucket Fill tool mode.

Procreate drawing engine is much different from Artstudio, so importing their brushes would not work in the same way. There are tons of abr brushes in Internet which work perfect in Artstudio.

roll the texture - I think we have it, check Brush Editor > Aux Stamp > Mutating mode > Movement

Color brush stamp, ribbon mode - we will consider that in the future.

Synchronizing materials - any function that use iCloud is very hard to implement, we don't plan to do it soon. Please use Expotr/Import functions.

Bigger Gallery icons - we will soon change gallery into system Document Browser

Using Undo in Pencil Only mode - to make it work turn on this option: Preferences > Apple Pencil > Allow Finger Undo Gesture

transparency thumbnails - what do you mean?

custom Tool icons - we will try to add support of "SF Symbols"

to import image into active document use Layer > Add > Add layer From Photos..., or use split view and drag the photos over canvas. Or copy to clipbaord and tak Edit > Paste.

Double tap layer will interfere with current tap gesture (it will make it laggy)

Actions - maybe in the future

Color swatches - there is no limit

BoroseMedia

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 11:03:59 PM
ArtofBörose:
To import all stamps from abr into Stamps open Stamps panel, tap "+", choose "Import" or "Import And Append", and pick abr file. It is working fine on my iPad, just tested. Make sure you are using the most recent version of ipadOS and Artstudio Pro.

Zoomed Texture - if i understand the issue it is problem only in thumbnail. It just takes only a part that is needed to fill the thumbnail.

Pressure - force needed to make stroke thicker/thinner depends on global Pencil pressure curve (Artstudio > Preferences > Apple Pencil > Pressure Curve), and also on brush settings (Brush Editor > Dynamics). You can adjust these to fix that.

Group icon in Gallery is used to move selected documents into a folder, so you have to create a new empty folder first.

Minimize/Maximize icons on Mac - do you use it in fullscreen on windowed?

Suggestions:
Lasso Fill is very similar tool to Bucket Fill, that's why we decided to make it as Bucket Fill tool mode.

Procreate drawing engine is much different from Artstudio, so importing their brushes would not work in the same way. There are tons of abr brushes in Internet which work perfect in Artstudio.

roll the texture - I think we have it, check Brush Editor > Aux Stamp > Mutating mode > Movement

Color brush stamp, ribbon mode - we will consider that in the future.

Synchronizing materials - any function that use iCloud is very hard to implement, we don't plan to do it soon. Please use Expotr/Import functions.

Bigger Gallery icons - we will soon change gallery into system Document Browser

Using Undo in Pencil Only mode - to make it work turn on this option: Preferences > Apple Pencil > Allow Finger Undo Gesture

custom Tool icons - we will try to add support of "SF Symbols"

to import image into active document use Layer > Add > Add layer From Photos..., or use split view and drag the photos over canvas. Or copy to clipbaord and tak Edit > Paste.

Double tap layer will interfere with current tap gesture (it will make it laggy)

Actions - maybe in the future

Color swatches - there is no limit

Thank you so much for all your help. You guys work so hard to make this software amazing and it’s awesome! I’ve since encountered a few of these things myself, but most of what you shared I hadn’t figured out with the software yet. I did not realize that it was abr that was upload-able when importing shapes and textures. That’s good to know and I will for sure find it useful. I guess I was assuming that it was suppose to be uploading jpegs of previously made textures.

I totally understand the whole cloud issue, and it makes sense that double taping layers would make things laggy. Having Actions added in the future would solve the layer naming problem for me anyway as I just like to keep my layers organized.

Also, thank you! I’ve been copy and pasting images because I could figure out how to import them. 😂

I’ve also discovered that I like this brush engine above both CSP and Procreate. I’m falling in love with it. It’s so powerful!

As far as the Mac goes, I’ve got the MacBook Air 2019 on the latest MacOS and ASP software and I’m finding when I go to minimize the screen that that is when the canvas gallery (menu? - I don’t know what the technical term for it would be) gets in the way, as if partially covers it.

BoroseMedia

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 12:55:20 AM

What I meant was the layer thumbnails. I didn’t explain that very well. They would look really nice dark when in dark mode.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 08:18:55 AM
Hmm, maybe...

What I meant was the layer thumbnails. I didn’t explain that very well. They would look really nice dark when in dark mode.
Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:23:00 AM by Lucky Clan

BoroseMedia