Author Topic: Second view of current image  (Read 8754 times)

DjF

Second view of current image
on: February 14, 2018, 11:18:03 AM
Hi - ArtStudio Pro is great!  Especially with the Apple Pencil.

But - I’m having to continue using Pixaki for creating pixel art because ArtStudio Pro is missing one feature - the ability to have a smaller second view/window of the same image you are working on.   

In Photoshop, there’s a few ways you can see a smaller version of your image - in the Navigator window, in the thumbnail in the layers tab, or you can open a second window of the same image.  This last one is the best way because you can set the magnification on the image.

Any chance of this feature getting added in some form?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Second view of current image
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:04:18 PM
Do you want this option in iPad or Mac version?

DjF

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:46:37 PM
I’m using iPad Pro

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 02:15:03 PM
Could you tell which app has this feature implemented in the best way?

DjF

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 05:50:35 PM
I like how you can do it in Photoshop.  This article shows a setup under Multiple Zoom Levels in View
http://www.brandontreb.com/configuring-photoshop-for-pixel-art

You can see the big primary window where you do the painting and the second window where you can see the small version of the same image.  Also, you can see the Navigator panel that shows yet another small view of the image.  Probably the best would be to be able to get something like the Navigator panel or a 2nd window where you can set the zoom level on the image...and place it where you want on the screen.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 02:32:12 AM
Yes, but you said you are using iPad. Do you know any iPad app with similar feature?

DjF

Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 02:47:54 AM
Affinity Photo has a Navigator panel you can slide out and pin to the screen...shows a small version of the current image.  This would be cool in ArtStudio!

Pixaki has small thumbnails of the layers of the current image.  I look at these while drawing on the main image.  You can also hold in a magnifying glass button to quickly zoom the image to 1:1, but this isn’t very useful for the way I work.

Nighternet

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:35:57 AM
Not a bad thing to have. Unlike in real world, we can't step away from the canvas (well, we can, but it gets too small). Sometimes I use Apple TV to view it on the big screen, but it's not convenient during the work. Even having a thumbnail is important for overall composition.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 04:21:48 AM
I can implement that in 2 ways:
- 50/50 screen split (current view/zoom to 100% view)
- add thumbnail in a corner with 100% zoom

Could you tell which one is better, or maybe you have some other ideas?

DjF

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 12:08:32 PM
The 50/50 method would waste too much work area space on the second view.

The corner thumbnail is better, as long as you can set the zoom level (100%, 200%, etc.)

Nighternet

Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 03:34:04 PM
Agree. Thumbnail. Or, maybe even better, a quick preview of 100%. Like press left bottom button to see it, release to go back to whatever you work on. 100% view is absolutely essential when you work on acanvas that is much larger than your screen.

DjF

Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 04:15:59 PM
Pixaki has both the thumbnail view and the quick view at 100% button.  I never use the quick view, but do spend a lot of time looking at the thumbnail.  Also, 100% is often not the zoom level I need to preview in...more like 200-400%.

DjF

Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 04:03:16 AM
After checking out the latest version of Artstudio, I think you can get the functionality of having a second window of a small version of the current image you’re working on - just let the user be able to keep the layers window open while painting and you can just look at the layer thumbnail.

If you could also adjust the layer thumbnail size, that would make it even better!

That second view is very handy for when you’re painting and zoomed way in on an image.  Common for pixel-art, which ArtStudio is getting pretty great for!

iamdio

Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 10:15:17 PM
Hey, just wondering if this feature has implemented yet? It really helpful for me to check the thumbnail version of the drawing.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 07:30:13 AM
We have it implemented for version 3.1. We will start releasing beta version in 1-2 weeks.