Author Topic: Horizontal Flip  (Read 4125 times)

pepsicon

Horizontal Flip
on: February 12, 2018, 11:53:19 PM
First off, thank you for creating this amazing app; the brush engine and the robust canvas editing features combined have provided potentially the most comfortable drawing experience on the iPad for me, and is nothing short of amazing. However, as the title suggests, a quick horizontal flip feature, unlike the one already available in the menus involving direct and immediate alterations to the file itself, but much more in the fashion of say Clip Studio Paint or MediBang Paint for example where the user gets to toggle a reversed canvas view on the fly as a means of previewing rather than editing outright, is very much needed. As has been mentioned elsewhere on other forums, while flipping isn’t impossible per se as it is now, it does (1) break the workflow when you have to go through those extra taps, when in comparison in the aforementioned apps the flip is provided as a convenient optional shortcut, and (2) becomes more conspicuous an issue especially when dealing with larger canvases and/or with multiple layers simultaneously, since it consumes up to quite a few seconds to process the actual changes to the files.

The devil is always in the details, but this app is shaping up to become something quite spectacular, and it would be a shame to see it bogged down by small inconveniences like this. It must be no easy task to implement features, but I hope that you’ll take this (among others that are also quite rightfully needed) into consideration as you move forward with your updates. Best of wishes!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Horizontal Flip
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:36:16 AM
Could you tell me when rxactly this “flipped view” is needed?

It will still  use probably 2 taps to do this (View>Flipped Canvas).
I can also add a switch in the bottom toolbar of Zoom tool.

pepsicon

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:31:43 PM
These would be very welcome; the reduced processing time would be great by itself, but ultimately an easily accessible shortcut would be very much desirable indeed! I tend to swap not too infrequently between neutral and flipped on other drawing apps and softwares to either get different perspectives on how a drawing is shaping up or to adjust the canvas so as to make trickier lines and angles etc. easier to manage, and the inclusion as well as ease of access of this feature would definitely make for a more streamlined experience.

Thank you for your reply, and I look forward to future updates :)

Husketch

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 02:01:07 PM
Yes exactly. how about a gesture to flip the canvas horizontally?
Like double tap with one finger? or a similar easy access

That would be great:)

Nighternet

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 02:09:07 AM
Non-destructive horizontal flip is used a lot by Photoshop artists, because they can't rotate the canvas. It's totally useless on iPad.

pepsicon

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 05:42:33 AM
I don't think it's useless though; however you rotate you still can't get the canvas to view from a mirrored perspective, which I (among others I am willing to assume) still rely on regularly.

Nighternet

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 03:40:29 PM
Trying to figure out why would one need to mirror the canvas all the time. You can flip it or any layer or selection if you want. Unless you, like Leonardo, try to cipher your writings with the mirror  :).