Author Topic: Bugs: Performance issues  (Read 6608 times)

acelaena

Bugs: Performance issues
on: September 22, 2020, 08:04:17 PM
Been drawing for about ~5 hours now on the new app, have recorded at least 3-4 crashes per hour, once up to six crashes in an hour. This is driving me NUTS. Every time it crashes I lose my current brush settings, color settings, and a decent chunk of progress. I have autosave configured to every 5 minutes and I crash every ~15 minutes. I work with fairly huge files, some of which take up to ~30 seconds to save and sometimes freezes while (auto)saving. Also, the zoom lag seems to be much more apparent in the new update than previously noted.

EDIT, IMPORTANT EDIT:: My favorites panel isn't saving between crashes. Every single time I've had to edit my brush settings after a few minutes of drawing, realizing I'm using bad settings.

Additional edit: 80% of the crashes happen when I'm adjusting brush settings, most usually by the sliders. The remaining 20 or so happen randomly when the app is idle, usually when I'm taking a moment to check something on my computer.

Edit again: Just recorded three crashes in a seventeen minute period. There wasn't enough time between the crashes to save ANY progress.
Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:55:42 PM by acelaena

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Bugs: Performance issues
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 02:47:40 AM
Please tap Artstudio > Send Feedback to send some details about your iPad. This may help me reproduce the problem...

acelaena

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 04:26:32 AM
I have this iPad. Is it possible to send me that document to info@luckyclan? I think I will be able to publish fix very quick after i reproduce the issue.

Please tap Artstudio > Send Feedback to send some details about your iPad. This may help me reproduce the problem...

I don't have a mail account configured and don't plan to do so just for this.

iPad pro 2018 running iOS 13.5.1, over 200 GB still available in storage, 3+ gb left in icloud, using first generation apple pencil. Currently working on a 11x17 300dpi canvas with 70-some layers if that makes any difference; there's very noticeable lag in opening/zooming/saving/drawing. Lag is much much worse on 3.0 compared to the previous version. Almost all the crashes from adjusting brush by sliders start by the sliders lagging a ton, freezing, then crashing. No idea what causes this.
Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 07:09:05 AM by Lucky Clan

Scourge

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 05:18:21 AM
Same here. Changing sliders resulted in six crashes in ten minutes.

acelaena

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 05:55:25 AM
In the meantime is it possible to add a separate downgrade download? I have many commissions waiting and if this continues I'll have to switch to a different app to continue working.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 06:59:04 AM
Please tell me which brush was selected when it crashed?
Did you use Size or Oapcity slider when it happened?

In the meantime is it possible to add a separate downgrade download? I have many commissions waiting and if this continues I'll have to switch to a different app to continue working.

acelaena

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 07:08:52 AM
Custom brush; "soft shader" and "fancypants" in the brush set below. Also, smudger is "Soft blender" in the set below.

I've been drawing for about ~2 hours, and have logged 10 crashes:
1. Size adjust after using eyedropper
2. idle; autosave triggered. Save failed.
3. zooming in, autosave triggered.
4. size adjust after using eyedropper
5. saving after using eyedropper (save failed, lost about 10min work)
6. attempting to smudge a stroke produced by a built in glow brush
7. idle; autosave triggered
8. autosave immediately after using eyedropper
9. smudging, adjusting size, do not remember if this was after using eyedropper or not.
10. smudging, adjusting size, also adjusted flow but crashed on size adjust.

Some things I've noticed failed to save:
I've been noting timestamps as I finish various parts; my autosave is defined as every 3 minutes and it's not successfully saving every 3 minutes.
Favorites panel fails to save between crashes and app restarts
Colors fail to save between crashes and app restarts
SOME brushes fail to save between crashes and app restarts. All brushes mentioned are wet paint/smudge intended brushes.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 07:15:24 AM
App is saving colors, brushes, favorites when minimizing it.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 10:17:57 AM
I have been trying to reproduce this for an hour, but it was stable.

To anybody who got crashes - close all apps staying in background, reboot the device, try again and let me know here if it helped.

lastaccess

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 10:53:06 AM
Once when I upgraded from version 2.x-2.x (don’t remember exact numbers) I had glitches with brush strokes. I uninstalled app and reinstalled it. Glitches were gone. Maybe this also will help someone who has any problems. I used 3.0 beta and 3.0 stable version and there wasn’t any crushes or freezes at all.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 12:38:15 PM
We didn’t make any changes in memory managing, so it is very hard to say why it is crashing. Maybe there is sth wrong with ipadOS 14...

acelaena

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 05:04:48 PM
Once when I upgraded from version 2.x-2.x (don’t remember exact numbers) I had glitches with brush strokes. I uninstalled app and reinstalled it. Glitches were gone. Maybe this also will help someone who has any problems. I used 3.0 beta and 3.0 stable version and there wasn’t any crushes or freezes at all.

Do you still keep your brushes/fonts/artwork if you uninstall?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 03:00:00 AM
If you delete app all custom brushes/swatches/fonts will be removed!
If you store documents in Local disk - they will be removed as well, if you store documents in iCloud - they will be kept.

So before uninstall i recommend backup of custom things. To do it go to Files app > On My iPad > Artstudio Pro and archive/backup whole "User Resources" folder. If you store documenst on local disk, just backup whole On My iPad > Artstudio Pro folder.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 09:09:43 AM
I fixed stability issue when saving and when dragging brush sliders. New version is now waiting for review. Thank you for reporting that!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 01:12:13 AM
Version 3.0.1 has been approved. Please let me know if it is more stable on your devices now.