Author Topic: Beta 3.0 (535) Bug: Brush set to erase  (Read 3381 times)

Carlitusroda

Beta 3.0 (535) Bug: Brush set to erase
on: September 04, 2020, 04:26:51 PM
I created some brushes during 3.0 beta stages for pastel, oil and watercolor simulation. I finished and packed them some weeks ago; waiting for final release to update them.

I did a pre-release test today, and some of these brushes don't work same as before when i created them.

When those settings are set:

- Blend Transparency set to Full
- Dynamics Opacity set to Pressure
- General -> Blending set to Multiply

The low Opacity values erases instead of blending!

Before that, the brushes worked perfect. If i apply the same settings to any brush (the default ARP 3.0 ones), it happens the same; for example in Oil brushes, becuase they use similar setting to mines (wetness, flow curve)

This is a link to a painting done with my brushes (the second one specially) to see how they worked before:

https://www.luckyclan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1493.0

This is a link to one of my brushes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wotcc7023m2gbxu/Fine%20Arts%20Watercolor.artstudio_brushes?dl=0

I can send the complete brushset if you wish. Anyway i will will release it for free on 15 sept.

Please, let me know at least if this is a bug or this is intended. If it's a bug and it will be solved, i will not change the brushes settings. If this isn't a bug, i will change the Blend Tansparency to any other setting; it don't work exactly the same, but it works.

BTW pretty good release. I know the streamlined interface changes will get more appreciated. But my preferred new features are the brush settings. Very very good brush engine. Congrats Lucky Clan. I hope Cladio Juliano will make Artstudio Pro 3.0 video presentations on time :).

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Beta 3.0 (535) Bug: Brush set to erase
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 06:34:01 PM
It is not a bug, it was done intentionally.

In previous versions (1.x, 2.x and early betas)  Wet Paint and Smudge tools were ignoring Opacity parameters: Main Opacity, Opacity Jitter and Opacity Dynamics. Brush engine just didn’t support that.
But when we were working on Watercolor brushes it turned out in some cases it can give very interesting results. So we implemented that. You can just set Opacity to 100% and disable Opacity dynamics and jitter to get the result from old versions.

Carlitusroda

Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 05:09:27 AM
Ok, no problem. I will update the brushes. Luckilly i tested them before final release.

Still i don't get why this "erasing" behavior. It erases the bottom colors! There's a picture showing it. The brush it's the one linked above:

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 09:01:55 AM
It is designed to rather use it on a separate, transparent layer.