Author Topic: Bug: Layers wiped/replaced  (Read 2340 times)

needshelp94

Bug: Layers wiped/replaced
on: August 30, 2020, 12:30:47 AM
I've been working on an illustration for a few weeks (on the iPad Pro) and finally finished it tonight- exported it as a PNG (like I usually do) and then closed the file and the app while I sent the image on etc etc. Thought I might share the process video for the illustration too and came back to the app, could see the file fine, only when I clicked on it a pop-up appeared that said something along the lines of "layers couldn't be found/are missing and have been replaced". I pressed okay thinking it was just a glitch, only to find that all my layers had been wiped. They're still there, in the same order I left them in, with their respective clipping masks etc still applied, but there's just. Nothing in them anymore. They're all transparent. I went to check the screen recording feature only to find it was fully blank too (0 seconds showing).

Whilst I have the finished image, I'm gutted that the layered file I worked in has been lost- if I want to make changes, I can't do that anymore. I'm also terrified of opening any of the other files in my app in case this happens again? I'm a professional illustrator and can't afford to lose files like this, especially as clients often ask for layered files, not just the finished piece.

For reference, I updated to the latest OS for the iPad today and also updated the app straight after - the info said it was fixing an issue with PSD imports, so I'm not sure if this messed something else up, but I'm assuming my original file with the layer contents intact is no longer retrievable?  :(

Thanks for the help!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Bug: Layers wiped/replaced
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 07:18:09 AM
If you are using iCloud, you can revert to previous saves: go to Gallery, tap Edit, pick a document and tap Revert icon in the top toolbar.

Please also make sure you have enough free disp space.

needshelp94

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 11:28:01 AM
If you are using iCloud, you can revert to previous saves: go to Gallery, tap Edit, pick a document and tap Revert icon in the top toolbar.

Please also make sure you have enough free disp space.

Thanks so much- this worked perfectly! The canvas recording is back and everything too. Do you know what might've caused it in the first place, just out of interest? Anyway, thanks again for helping me recover the file!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 01:14:27 PM
I have no idea, it must be very very rare case....

Besrsbears

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 12:14:39 PM
I have been seeing lots of reports of data being lost and other buggy stuff on the latest ios update so that may be it, orz