Author Topic: 3.0???  (Read 7051 times)

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: 3.0???
Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 09:37:01 AM
Pen tool will be added probably in ver 3.1.
Can you suggest which app has the best "Pen tool" implementation?

gregg2g

• Retired
Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 09:54:15 AM
I do like the pen tool in Affinity Designer. I can not only adjust the line with the node tool handles but can grab the line and pull them out. I can also change the profile of the line ..... instead of just a stright equal width line, I can vary the width.
You can also do this in Illustrator, Canvas X Draw and a few others.
iMac 27 3.1 GHz 32 GB DDR 4 Mac OS  Monterey 12.6, XP-Pen 24 Pro, ArtStudioPro latest version

Carlitusroda

Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 05:33:18 PM
For illustration, the best pen tool (vector) is Clip Studio. Fresco is similar to Clip Studio, but not as featured.

What makes good Pen Tool (vector drawing features) in Clip Studio:

- You can use any pixel brush. Or change it
- You can simplify vector points, smooth a path
- You can change any curve size with stylus pressure without modify the curve itself. I guess this is better than select a profile (as is in Affinity apps). In any case, both methods can complement.
- You can 'trim' different intersected curves; Fresco too on last versions. I guess this is a must for comic makers
- You can erase with usual bitmap erasers

About editing vector nodes, i guess the best is Illustrator / Photoshop and Affinity apps. Taking Illustrator behavior, One finger pressure must act as Shift key, Two fingers pressure as Control.

It must be the usual 'arrange' options: send to top, bottom, move up and move down, maybe 'move to top of layer' and 'bottom of layer'. If you implement closed paths, it must have boolean options: add, substract, intersect.

It will be nice a transparency gradient tool, as Affinity Designer. Closed paths may be able to have blending modes (multiply...) and layer styles.

Option to rasterize vectors.

Option to convert text to vector objects.

Maybe... vector shapes, just as Affinity Designer (the best).

Lastly, a good vector ordering system. When you create a vector path and you are on a raster layer, a new Vector Layer must be created. Any new path must be put on that layer. New Vector Layer button. The paths must be collapsed by default, showed only if you 'uncollapse' the vector layer.

Personally i will be happy with just 'trim vectors' functionality and the ability to change vpath size on the fly with stylus pressure. I gess this is a must for vector drawing.