Author Topic: Why not Andriod?  (Read 7399 times)

Calypso

Why not Andriod?
on: April 30, 2019, 07:21:25 AM
Hello Team
I've switched from iOS to Android and I'm in dire need of a comprehensible, 0 compromises image editor, which are few and far between on Android. I used ArtStudio extensively on my old phone and have not found a single app that actually came close to it on the Android store and I tried out a decent amount.
So why don't you guys have any interest in porting the app to the Play Store? It could dominate the market with ease 🤔

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Why not Andriod?
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:13:02 PM
Currently we don't have enough resources to make this. It is 2 years of work or more...

Calypso

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 08:13:09 PM
I just got word that ArtStudio has received a major update/overhaul some time ago and I was hoping for news regarding an Android port. Looking around for options but to no avail, I came across a couple APKs but those are most likely fake.

Having collected good insight on how much time and effort an App takes to create and maintain over the past years myself, I know it's easier said than done. But have you re-considered releasing an Android port since 2019?

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 01:44:58 AM
We are still very busy working on current updates. And sales are not enough to build bigger team. So android must wait, sorry.

Alina

Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 05:31:50 AM
Hi,

Would you be considering a kickstarter for funding?
And maybe, focus only on Samsung devices so that it's a lot less work? (like galaxy store)

Saying that because the only good art app for android is infinite painter IMO, so you would be welcomed like kings if one day you decided to go both ways.

I have an iPad and a Samsung tab with Spen and I prefer using the Samsung a lot more. You can work for hours without having to charge your pen with the Spen. And the Apple pencil is so heavy...

Plus, the new Samsung S8 ultra with its 14in screen would be a huge asset for artists.

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 07:14:52 AM
I can write we are doing some researches and basic tasks to make Artstudio "multiplatform" in the future. But it will take 2-3 years to implement it because app must be rewritten almost from scratch. And i haven't decided if we will do it...

Alina

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 11:26:55 AM
From scratch, a bit like the developper from infinite painter had to do with his android version. He's been working like crazy for more than 8 months because he had to rewrite almost the whole thing.

I really hope you do!
If you do, pleaaaase begin with Samsung  :D

And kickstarter doesn't interest you at all to help with the finances?

Andreas Raninger

Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 12:33:36 PM
If you port ASP to Android it will be able to run on Windows. I've already run the android version of Infinite Painter with good results. I sideloaded sketchbook and some games too. I'd rather see that the MacOs version gets some more love than running ASP on an android tablet. The format on most android tablets are terrible, I rather run a 4:3 iPad, it's more usable for artists. But that's me, I'm pretty shure there are others thinking different.  ;)

Alina

Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 03:50:53 AM
As an owner of both, yeah the 4:3 ratio is nice, but the pencil... I hate the pencil. It heavy like hell (unlike a real pencil) and you have to charge it. I have the older generation one so the charging position is awkward.
Plus you have to plug it to pair it...

And Apple's way of doing things... don't like as well. Like, you can't add an sd card for extra storage etc.

Then, all developers know it is way easier to develop for iOS than Android.

Hence focusing only on Samsung tablets.

lastaccess

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 04:41:31 AM
Alina, weight of Apple Pencil is very personal. I find it light and want it to be heavier.

I have Apple Pencil 2nd gen and I really don't think about charging and pairing. Never. Previous generation was a bit inconvenient, I agree.

And speaking of topic question, I think most of the artists who want to draw portably already have iPad, so spliting development to Android part maybe not that profitable.

Have you tried Krita on your Android tablet?

Alina

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 06:55:31 AM
@Lastaccess, yes I did try Krita. It's a good app, but still beta and so many things don't work + there is no touch support. You have to use it like the PC app on your tablet, which is awkward.

I like infinite painter better for now

Andreas Raninger

Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 03:00:39 PM
Personally, I think that an Android version is a not a very good idéa.
But it's up to Lucky Clan to decide if it's worth the effort.

Alina

Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 02:59:56 AM
Yeah, in the end it's all up to the team.

But personally, I wouldn't mind re-paying for the android licence, even if I already paid for the iOS license.

A bit like repaying for switch ports of video games you already own on the PS2 :)

Andreas Raninger

Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 04:36:09 AM
Appstore and Google play is not sharing accounts and licensing in no way, so it's impossible to pay for one and get the two versions. I would pay for the Android version too, even in advance. It's sad that the Android plattform only have one pro painting app, Infinite Painter. I use both apps on my iPad and they really make a great workflow, but on Windows I only got Photoshop. An Android version would make it possible to use it on Windows too.

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 11:39:07 PM
With a small developing team it makes more sense to focus on iPad version and better put the effort into marketing that one, than creating a whole other app for android or windows. Also think 4:3 ratio is definitely better for creating art and personally love the Apple Pencil over other stylus pens 🤷‍♀️