Author Topic: Brush blending mode that picks underlaying layers  (Read 2851 times)

Nighternet

Brush blending mode that picks underlaying layers
on: November 17, 2018, 02:40:31 AM
For a regular (not rubber stamp) brush. This would allow for much more sophisticated non-destructive retouch. Useless for "normal" of course.

Mlindegaard

Re: Brush blending mode that picks underlaying layers
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 11:22:33 AM
+1

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 07:02:31 AM
I'm going to add "Sample all" in Wet Paint tool, but in standard Paint tool it is not possible to do!
Why? Because "painting" buffer created during painting a stroke in finally applied (with selected brush blending) to current layer, so blending must be applied to current layer only.

Workaround - create empty layer with any blending you want, and set 'Normal' blending in tool/brush setting.

Nighternet

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 05:03:12 PM
That's what I do. When I get the needed effect, I have to copy merged alpha and paste it to the new layer, because I can't have too many layers. I never use the wet brush, because I can get a better (and more predictable) effect with the regular brush with different blending. Same for dodge and burn brushes - they are too harsh, even at 1% opacity. I use "screen" and "multiply" brushes. Not sure I understand the difficulty of picking a color from the active layer pixel vs. from the "visible" one. Is this because of the wet brush by default already factors the underlying pixels? Anyway, thank you for adding this. Let's see if the new wet brush would be more useful.