Author Topic: "Lasso Fill" tool  (Read 18803 times)

Husketch

"Lasso Fill" tool
on: May 30, 2018, 06:14:43 PM
Hello

Can you program an additional fill tool that works like "Lasso Fill" (in clip studio paint software)
See video to explain : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONv_Y0Mts20

A tool like this will be very useful to quickly fill areas with a lasso shape. instead of selecting lasso first then changing tool to fill. it's a direct one step: draw a lasso shape and automatically it will be filled with current color.

If that is possible, it would be great to also use the same tool in a different mode "erase" so you can remove areas quickly with a lasso shape.

Thanks!  :)

rhymi

Re: "Lasso Fill" tool
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 06:35:59 PM
+1!! this would be awesome

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 04:32:03 AM
We are not going to add any new tools in the next major update 1.3.  We will consider adding this later

Shex

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 10:11:10 AM
Would you reconsider this feature for a future update? :)

Patronex

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 10:34:03 AM
This is exactly why i pressure the idea of having lasso with stroke smoothing option like with brushes, for filling shapes hand drawn with lasso. :D +1

Shex

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 10:51:40 AM
This is exactly why i pressure the idea of having lasso with stroke smoothing option like with brushes, for filling shapes hand drawn with lasso. :D +1
Interesting, I didn't consider smoothing, I do prefer the hard and shaky edges, but I wouldn't mind getting the option to smooth them!

But one more thing that I'd love to see, apart from choosing a color to auto fill, to also choose the opacity of the color fill. Would really speed up my shading process if I was able to fill areas quickly with like a 30% opacity black area

Patronex

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 06:34:15 PM
Shex: Nice idea of your too, would be great addition too! +1

mattnava

• Creative/Art Director. The Pathless, ABZÛ, Journey
    • Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 08:24:57 PM
I just came to this forum to ask for this exact tool to be implemented. It’s great to see it’s already been suggested. I use it all the time in the infinite painter app, both to fill color and also to erase very quickly. It’s very efficient and quick. Is there any chance this might be something that can be considered for upcoming updates? Thanks!

ggermain1

Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 11:10:46 PM
A lasso fill tool would be awesome! It makes things super convenient.

Husketch

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 03:07:35 PM
😊🙏

Kardas

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 01:48:41 PM
I was eventually gonna make this suggestion. Infinite Painter has this as a “brush”, works exactly the same and JAMA made a series of examples how powerful a lasso fill tool is for concepting in IP. I would love to see this make into Artstudio in some form. +1

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 04:50:46 AM
Ok, i will think about adding that ;)

OlGimpy

Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 05:13:57 PM
Just switched from Procreate to ArtStudio Pro and I am LOVING THIS APP SO DAMN MUCH! Great job all around.

also, +1 for lasso fill

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 09:05:04 PM
Ok, i will think about adding that ;)

Excellent! I'm extremely excited about this. Thank you very much for considering this again. Regarding the implementation, it seems like the most straight forward way would be to make it an additional "Drawing Mode" entry called "lasso fill" in the tools options window, where you currently have the options for freehand, line, rectangle, etc. However-- I'd love for it to be even faster to access than those options allow, and quick to use as an eraser too. Perhaps the tool favorites workflow would make this more quickly accessible, or maybe the assignable hotkeys for drawing modes would speed it up, but if this new "lasso fill" drawing mode option (and maybe the other drawing modes by extension? ;D) could be saved into a brush along with it's attributes, then using the lasso fill would be as fast and simple as selecting a brush that was saved that way. And selecting a lasso fill brush to use with the eraser would be similarly fast. If that implementation was adopted, sticking a little icon on the brush in the brush window to indicate its default drawing mode would be very useful for identifying which brush does what (It seems that drawing mode gets saved with tool favorites right now, but there's no indicator on the brush previews in that window either currently, making it hard to know how they will act before you try them out.)

Anyway- thank you again for considering this feature and I hope that you find the time/bandwidth to implement it. Thank you for really listening to the community!

mattnava

• Matt Nava Portfolio
Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 03:54:45 AM
Bummed lasso fill didn't seem to make it to the new 3.1 beta, but still hopeful for this feature! (3.1 looks great though, the new transform feels much snappier on iPad, and warp transform is a fantastic add!)