Author Topic: Request : Centered Brush Preview while using Keyboard Shortcut  (Read 5905 times)

alfanders

Hi, I have a request regarding the Brush Preview (shown above) if it's alright 😁

Currently, the brush preview while using "Adjust Brush" gesture is terrific! It shows the preview in the center of the screen which is really easy to see. Yet currently, when you use keyboard shortcut, it's shown on the left side which is still visible, but I feel like the center one feels much better and comfortable for me to see.

If it's not too much work, I'd love to have the option to use the center brush preview when I use the keyboard shortcut to tweak the brush size as well. That'd be lovely! 💖

Thank Youuuu ✨

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
We will fix it asap. Thank you for all your suggestions!

alfanders

Thank you so much for your replies and responses as well! I really appreciate the effort you guys put in to listen to my feedbacks and requests. You guys are making a totally astounding program. 💖💖✨

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Can this please be an optional in settings? I also change brush sizes via bluetooth controller and personally prefer things to not cover the artwork in the middle. So I think its actually good its shown on the side.

Thanks!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
It should be near the slider when using slider, and in the center in other cases. I think it is the best solution.

Can this please be an optional in settings? I also change brush sizes via bluetooth controller and personally prefer things to not cover the artwork in the middle. So I think its actually good its shown on the side.

Thanks!

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
I think it’s a personal preference and should be able to stay optional.. maybe it can be either “show in the middle or “show next to slider” somewhere in tool preferences. I really don’t like it being in the middle, as I often change brush sizes while I draw/paint, so having it in the middle, it covers a good amount of the canvas which is not ideal for a workflow like mine, even the rgb color pop up was able to be turned off in settings now, and this is significantly bigger than that and feels intrusive while painting.
Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 09:06:52 AM by icezimy

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
I understand, but it is not a good idea to make "option" for this kind of change. I don't want a hundred of options in Preferences...
Maybe there is some other solution?

I think it’s a personal preference and should be able to stay optional.. maybe it can be either “show in the middle or “show next to slider” somewhere in tool preferences. I really don’t like it being in the middle, as I often change brush sizes while I draw/paint, so having it in the middle, it covers a good amount of the canvas which is not ideal for a workflow like mine, even the rgb color pop up was able to be turned off in settings now, and this is significantly bigger than that and feels intrusive while painting.

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
I understand… but I don’t think there’s another solution in this case, in order to please both kinds of workflow. And the way it is currently in the beta, is really distracting from painting, and in most other apps, it is also always shown on the side, for good reason.
Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 09:28:03 AM by icezimy

alfanders

Hi, I've tested this in the latest beta build and it works perfectly! Thank you so muchh Lucky Clann! ✨✨

--

As for what icezimy mentioned, I'm not sure myself since I cannot say whether "most other apps do it" is a good reason for implementing something. I for one, really love the brush, quick panel, eyedropper tool, hold gesture, and swipe gesture implementation and the combination of those in Artstudio Pro eventho I believe no other app does it this way.

While I understand what icezimy say about "it distracts you from the painting because it blocks the image", I feel like the center one really is more comfortable for my eyes as I don't have to move my eyes from the center of the Canvas, which is where I mostly see when I paint. I do agree with Lucky Clan that when I adjust it with the slider, since I'm looking at the slider, it's easier for my eyes to have the preview near the slider.

However, if the problem was obstruction of the Canvas, I'm not sure whether this could be implemented as an option but in adjust brush Gesture Mode, there's this kind of preview as well where there's no black background to it. Maybe this could be a toggle-able option whether to use the "full" preview, or just the outline preview?

Since it doesn't really have any background and just a tiny outline, I think it minimizes the obstruction of the Canvas. And also since this is how it's implemented in Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint, I think this also checks icezimy's "a common implementation in other apps" point.

Tho as for me personally, the current centered implementation feels very comfortable for me 💖✨
Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 10:17:54 AM by alfanders

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Good that it works for you. Doesn't at all for me.

It feels like the same kind of intrusivness into the UI, like apples implementation of the 3 dots on top, that can't be turned off. And this is even bigger than that. If something is getting changed that is so much in the middle of the screen and essential for probably every single work process within the app(at least with keyboard/controller) it should always just be optional.

Even just the outline, would still feel too intrusive in my opinion, and I like to see the brush outline with a neutral grey background. It would also be still right in the middle of the canvas. The only reason it works in PS is because you generally always have the outline of your brush shown and it always follows your stylus even when changing size, while in ASP and most other iPad apps sizes are not shown directly under the stylus but on the side instead, and outlines are only shown(if the option is turned on) while actually drawing, which is nice. And in the end, it would require a toggle in the settings anyway.

A simple toggle in the settings "show brush size preview for slider on side" and when it's turned off it shows in the middle could just solve all this issues and please everyone. I don't understand, why not just do that instead. No use case/workflow should be worth more than the other one, so the only option in this case is to make it completely optional.

And for "other apps" I was mainly just talking about procreate and fresco which were also made specifically with the use on iPad in mind, so they are a good point of reference. But of course I also prefer ASP for the unique things it offers over all these other apps.

And one person saying they prefer it XY way should not be the reason to change such a core function(changing brush size), without the option of going back to the previous way.
Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 12:59:36 PM by icezimy

alfanders

Re: Request : Centered Brush Preview while using Keyboard Shortcut
Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 10:24:04 AM
Ah I see, you're right, that suggestion does need an additional toggle anyway 😅

Alrighty then, I've read your points! I understand the context you're coming from better. Thanks for your additional explanation! ✨

--

I just noticed the additional point about one person saying x and y, I'll respond to that if you don't mind. ✨

I believe the way I've explained my points are based on my observation of the UX and what I believe could improve the usability of the program. And it is absolutely right that different people might have different use cases and workflow.

I believe Lucky Clan also consider these UXs themselves, and it is quite difficult to try to maximize the intuitiveness and comfort of the app for every features. Which I think it'd be helpful if we could constructively point out our concerns, ideas, and suggestion based on what experience we feel would benefit the user of the app. This might help Lucky Clan to see some edge cases or get new ideas over part of the UX that might not be in their radar given the sheer volume of features they have to implement.

And I think, be it coming from one person, or several people, if the idea could benefit the users and have a reasonable reason to get implemented, I believe it's great to implement them ✨
Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 10:44:23 AM by alfanders

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 10:30:38 AM
I hope that optional toggle will actually be added. I see it as a serious issue right now in the Beta, to the point where I don't want to use it like this.

--

Yes I agree with what you said, I've also made many suggestions in the past that were  implemented. But I think it's important to word suggestions in a way, so that other workflows won't get destroyed and rather treat new implementations(especially those that change the UI or core functionality) as an addition/option,  more often than not.

So the other way around they should also listen to those who actually prefer it the way it was, and should at least for such core functions, if there is a reasonble reason like you said(which in this case there obviously is) make it optional, even if it adds one additional toggle in the settings.
Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 01:01:26 PM by icezimy

alfanders

Reply #12 on: March 30, 2022, 10:55:13 AM
Yes I do agree with what icezimy says about customizabilty of the program to suit several different workflows! I think it'd be wonderful if Artstudio Pro could be used in many workflows and scenarios ✨ (and truthfully, that's the reason I love Artstudio Pro in the first place)

Tho Lucky Clan has this valid UX concern where too much options in the preferences would be rather confusing for first time user. Especially if it's a wall of texts. Maybe increasing the Preferences UX to be more intuitive would enable Lucky Clan to put more customizability on the preferences without worrying about overwhelming the users?

Would icezimy, Lucky Clan, or others have any ideas or suggestion regarding that?

Or should we make a new thread for this? ✨

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 11:06:50 AM
I think the preferences are quite manageable already, especially compared to some desktop programs like photoshop. I think the bigger concern/priority would be to release a good user manual/handbook, explaining to new users what all the different settings actually can do.

But of course there might be suggestions for a better preferences/settings layout, though I don't have any right now. But in case you do, it would probably be better suited in a new thread. Since the one toggle we are talking about here, shouldn't be just dependent on this right now anyway

icezimy

• Freelance Artist
    • icezimy.com
Reply #14 on: March 30, 2022, 12:26:22 PM
Just to add one more argument for the addition of the toggle.

In some other recent thread someone else requested the addition to remove the RGBA “color info” pop up on the screen when color picking, for a more distraction free workflow, which has since been added as a toggle to the beta, which I really like. And this didn’t get any thought about it potentially cluttering the preference menu. But now for some reason that exact same argument is not valid here, even tough the brush size pop up is much bigger and more distracting in my eyes than the color info one ever was, yet this doesn’t get a toggle.

It feels like - here is the option to turn off this little color info pop up window, but now have this giant brush size pop up window in the middle of the screen instead, which doesn’t make sense at all. I literally can’t understand that decision, it’s just completely in the way of drawing, and I need it so often, that it’s actually the reason to turn me off using the app(beta) like this, it’s just not enjoyable and always annoyingly covering something on the canvas. Making maximum use of the already limited screen size on the iPad, showing as much of the canvas as possible, should be the goal here, and that’s just not it in this case. If anything, I’d prefer for the finger size/opacity slider to be shown on the side as well instead of in the middle. So that it’s just always on the side no matter what, while the toggle would be on.

And I’m sure some others who use their keyboard to change sizes will feel the same. It might work for some the way it is now, but it’s apparently just not a “one size fits all” in this case and, thus it shouldn’t be dealt with that way. And besides all of that, when recording speedpaints including the interface, the brush size pop up would also constantly cover the canvas during said speedpaint. So I seriously hope it will be made completely optional.
Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 03:37:38 PM by icezimy