Author Topic: Quick Panel - Additional Gesture  (Read 3695 times)

alfanders

Quick Panel - Additional Gesture
on: March 20, 2022, 09:11:56 AM
Hi, I have an idea/suggestion to implement additional gestures for the Quick Panel.

I feel like the Quick Panel is a brilliant feature especially for drawing on the iPad without a keyboard.
And I feel having these additional gestures would increase the intuitiveness, productivity, and effectiveness of the panel.

I feel like the current "tap to show Quick Panel" is brilliant and should stay. And I'm thinking of this gesture feature to be implemented additionally on top of the existing gesture to summon Quick Panel.
I'm thinking of having these buttons to be able to be selected if you hold the finger and swipe with a finger gesture, on top of the usual Quick Panel implementation.

It's quite important for me to note that having only these buttons to be available for the swipe gestures enables it to be selected with less precision than having all the buttons being selectable. For example, if you want to select Eraser, you'd just need to swipe left as far and quickly as you like. Or if you want to perform Clear, you'd only need to swipe down as far or as quickly as you'd like.

Also, I think it'd be required to implement a Deadzone around the position where you tap the screen, so that when you're just trying to open the Quick Panel by tapping, even tho you might drag it a little, it won't be registered as a swipe as long as it still falls within the deadzone.

I made this mockup to better explain how it might work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ_X79BA5Do

I feel like using this gesture would enable an intuitive selection of tools/functions. And since you could access it from anywhere on the canvas, it'd require a less precise interaction than, say, selecting tools on the topside toolbar. Which I believe would enable a faster more productive workflow, especially without a keyboard.

I believe this drag/swipe function could be implemented on the one-touch, double touch, and triple touch finger gestures. It might also work with the three fingers swipe gesture but I'm not really sure yet. How it works for the multiple taps gestures is to double-tap and hold on to your last tap, and drag your finger towards the tool you want to use.

Here's how I imagine the implementation for the one-touch, double touch, and triple touch finger gestures would be.
https://youtu.be/bIcbzJK7Q-s

--

I'd really appreciate it if this could be implemented. I think this would greatly increase the productivity of using Artstudio Pro on iPad, especially when you're not using a keyboard.

Lastly, I made this mockup of how it might look like using this feature in action
https://youtu.be/nT3ooBI4jrE

Thank you so much! 💖✨
Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 02:36:49 PM by alfanders

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Quick Panel - Additional Gesture
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 08:56:04 AM
Thanks for you suggestion, it makes sense for single touch. I will consider implementing it asap.

alfanders

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 09:43:54 AM
That's super lovely!! 💖💖

I still think the double and triple click could also benefit from this as it gives more options to the user, thank you for your response Lucky Clan!! ✨

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 11:01:25 AM
It is ready in the latest beta (build 789), we are waiting for your feedback ;)

alfanders

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 01:09:10 PM
OH THAT'S SUPER QUICK HOW DID YOU GUYS DO IT 🤯🤯🤯

THANK YOUUU 💖💖

May I know how to get the beta release? I don't seem to see any way to update my Artstudio Pro via App Store. Would you kindly show me the way? ✨✨

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 03:49:31 PM
Check your email, you should receive an invitation to TestFlight.

alfanders

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 04:51:26 PM
Thank you so much for the Test Flight invite!! ✨✨

I've tried the gesture and this is absolutely Astounding! This would improve my productivity by a ton!! 💖

Currently, with this current implementation, when you try to do a downward gesture, it is expected to select the lower button of the panel. In my case, it is Paint tool. However, if you're trying to do downward finger gesture on the edge of the screen (e.g the left side), due to the quick panel summoned to always stay within the screen, it selects the lower leftside button instead. In this case, it's the Clear tool. Here's the video describing what I meant.

https://youtu.be/PYnqWrggqds

I think it is quite important to have the same gesture to yield the same consistent result regardless of where the gesture was done, be it on the center of the screen, or the edges of the screen. I feel this way because doing the same gesture over and over again would build muscle memory, and I think having the same gesture resulting in different outcomes would mess with the muscle memory, thus having a less pleasant UX.

The two possible solutions I could think about are :
• Having the Quick Panel able to be summoned even tho it clips outside the screen.

Since the center of the Quick Panel would always be the same with the touch position, the same gesture would be possible even on the edges of the screen

• Having the center of the gesture separate from the center of the Quick Panel. This means that, when you do the gesture on the edge of the screen, even tho all the panel are visible (and the panel center being pushed aside for a bit), the origin point of your gesture would still be the position of your touch.

Thank you so much for implementing it this quickly!! I'm loving the feel of this so far!! 💖💖
Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 04:54:39 PM by alfanders

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 04:29:33 AM
Please test it again in new beta (build 790)

alfanders

Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 04:34:34 AM
You guys are so quick it's super awesome! 😭💖

Trying right now! ✨

alfanders

Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 04:39:38 AM
You guys are the best, this works perfectly now! 😭💖
Thank you so muchh, this feels wonderful to use!! 🤧💖💖

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 05:04:27 AM
Great, thanks :)

alfanders

Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 12:13:52 PM
Ah excuse me, I just realized something when I'm playing with the new gesture feature

I tried to use the gesture on the edge, and this happens. I'm using the small version of the panel and it added some padding to the size of the bigger panel and offsets itself to the right. I just want to make sure whether this is intended, or whether this is a bug

https://youtu.be/quKdQ5-bN34

Thank you! ✨
Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 12:15:55 PM by alfanders

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 04:55:57 AM
Yes, i made it working this way after you reported it doesn't work near the edge.

alfanders

Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 06:05:48 AM
Ah, I believe you were implementing this suggestion right?

I'm sorry I'm gonna rephrase my question if that's okay, since I think I was not being clear enough and might mislead you 💦

I think the current gesture implementation is perfect!

What I'm asking is strictly about the interface / appearance. With the smaller panel, should it be further from the edge, or closer? Here's a video comparison. (The right one is how it's currently implemented for bigger Quick Menu panel)

https://youtu.be/lN75mGE2CY0

I'm totally okay with it being further, just want to make sure I didn't mislead you with my unclear question 😅💦

Thank You!! ✨

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #14 on: March 31, 2022, 07:02:02 AM
Ohh, i understand. Indeed small version of the panel should be closer to the edge, we will fix it asap.