Author Topic: Enable switch to Eraser on Gestures other than Apple Pencil  (Read 3256 times)

alfanders

Hi, I have a request for the Activate Eraser, Activate Eyedropper, and Activate Smudge found here

to be available in Gestures menu here as well
(Four finger tap, three finger swipe, finger function, double tap, and triple tap)

That'd be lovely! Thank you! ✨
Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 03:34:13 AM by alfanders

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Re: Enable switch to Eraser on Gestures other than Apple Pencil
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 08:05:22 AM
It will be added asap (maybe in not all these places)

alfanders

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 09:20:18 AM
Thank you so much, really appreciate it!! 💖

alfanders

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 06:28:46 AM
Hi Lucky Clan, thank you so much for implementing this feature!

I've tested this in the beta and I have some input that I think would be lovely to implement.

As of now, when you double click, it waits for a few moments to apply "Switch to Eraser". I believe this is because the program is trying to wait for further tap and decide whether this would be a double-click or a triple-click.

Currently, if I double-tap, and while it waits for the third tap, I stroke with my apple pencil, the tool wouldn't change into the eraser.

I have a suggestion if it's okay, I'd love to have the double-tap registered as final the moment I stroke with my apple pencil. I think this way because, by the time I use my apple pencil after I double-tap, there's practically no way that it'd be a triple tap, even tho the wait timer is still not done waiting.

so, basically:
Right now : double tap -> while wait for third tap -> stroke with apple pencil -> double tap cancelled -> use the current active tool.
into
Suggested : double tap -> while wait for third tap -> stroke with apple pencil -> register gesture as double tap and apply the corresponding effect -> use the now active eraser as current active tool

Please let me know what you think of this! Thank youuu 💖✨

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 08:18:14 AM
Just turn off "triple tap", and it will not wait

alfanders

Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 09:37:01 AM
I've tried it with triple tap disabled and it works as you said!

I still feel like having the double tap registered as soon as the apple pencil made contact would be great since triple tap increases so much versatility, but you've been implementing these changes, and the app is already really nice to use! 💖

Thank you so muchh, I really appreciate your hard work 💖✨

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 04:58:37 AM
It must work this way. Double tap must wait for possible Triple tap when both are used. Maybe there is an option to fix that (Pencil even fires pending double tap action), but this may become to complex and cause some next issues...

alfanders

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 06:39:53 AM
I understand that Double Tap has to wait for possible Triple Tap

I'm not really sure about the inner working of the native iOS input system and whether this could be done, but I tried to make a flowchart of what I meant. Would you think this is possible? Or would this introduce a much more complex system that's more likely to lead to new issues?

(also I'm sorry that the image is rather large, the text was rather small so I couldn't really resize it down without making the text unreadable) 💦

Thank you!

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 06:59:55 AM
It looks simple for double/triple tap, but remember we support many other gestures and palm rejection (system), it makes the chart really huge.
We use our own implementation of all gestures, which is complex enough.

alfanders

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 07:19:47 AM
Ohh, I immediately assumed that the palm rejection system was already handled from the iOS side, my bad 😅
I understand then! Thank you so much for your response and consideration! 💖✨

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 07:40:33 AM
Yes, palm rejection is performed by system, but app must respond to "palm reject" events to correctly handle that.

Ohh, I immediately assumed that the palm rejection system was already handled from the iOS side, my bad 😅
I understand then! Thank you so much for your response and consideration! 💖✨

alfanders

Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 07:58:27 AM
I see! Thank youuu ✨✨

alfanders

Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM
Hi, I've been trying this out for quite a while and I noticed that I often didn't realize that the tool has/hasn't changed (mostly when the gesture is not registered as double/triple tap).

I'd like to know your opinion if this notification that has been used for undo and redo could be added for changing tools (to eraser/smudge and back to paint) only when changing tool via finger gesture. So this notification won't pop up if the tool is being changed via the top toolbar, or via the quick menu.

Would love to know what you think! Thank youu ✨

Lucky Clan

• Administrator
    • Lucky Clan homepage
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 07:12:56 AM
I understand. We did it because most important tools are visible in the top toolbar, so there is no need to show additional popup.
But indeed in some cases (fullscreen mode, tool icon not visible in top toolbar) it would be helpful. We will fix it asap.

Hi, I've been trying this out for quite a while and I noticed that I often didn't realize that the tool has/hasn't changed (mostly when the gesture is not registered as double/triple tap).

I'd like to know your opinion if this notification that has been used for undo and redo could be added for changing tools (to eraser/smudge and back to paint) only when changing tool via finger gesture. So this notification won't pop up if the tool is being changed via the top toolbar, or via the quick menu.

Would love to know what you think! Thank youu ✨

alfanders

Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 02:51:58 PM
Thank you so much for considering my input Lucky Clan! Always appreciate your effort 💖✨